Default X-Men Monday #206 – Steve Orlando Reflects on ‘Mutant First Strike'

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/06/12/x-...rlando-strike/

AIPT: Did any of your personal disaster relief experiences inspire specific scenes in Mutant First Strike?

Steve: Without a doubt! A lot of this is in the answer above. But I’ll say, the big things from my own experiences are found in the scenes folks might think are somewhat tertiary. Scenes like Greycrow cooking a local favorite for everyone — the way THEY like it, not how he thinks is best. Scenes like Icarus learning local songs and singing with people. Scenes like Eye-Scream doing endless ice cream for the kids. These are things I think we tend to overlook, thinking that in a triage situation, folks should be happy with whatever people from outside deign to give. But in reality, I think we all underestimate what meeting folks where they are can do — prioritizing moments of dignity, of small comforts, of pinches of normalcy. It goes a long long way.

AIPT: As we wrap up, are there any specific Mutant First Strike ramifications we can expect to ripple through the Fall of X?

Steve: This is an easy answer — yes! You’ll see the war of public opinion carry on throughout not just the Hellfire Gala but Astonishing Iceman and many other books. Maybe not in the spotlight, but as the creeping sickness helping everyday people become more and more comfortable with ORCHIS’s incremental anti-mutant fascism.

And this week's eXclusive preview images:

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Congrats to our very own Daedra for the spotlight and the gorgeous art!

Fantastic Member

i like steve orlando thinks he a great writer and most of his marvel work is really good but his x-men writing just doesnt work or translate his marauders run which showed great promise was awful this first strike issue was just plain boring and dull and d the pre sales on ice man are not looking good. his other marvel work is great maybe he just needs some better x-men characters to focus on

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    https://aiptcomics.com/2023/06/12/x-...rlando-strike/

AIPT: Did any of your personal disaster relief experiences inspire specific scenes in Mutant First Strike?

Steve: Without a doubt! A lot of this is in the answer above. But I’ll say, the big things from my own experiences are found in the scenes folks might think are somewhat tertiary. Scenes like Greycrow cooking a local favorite for everyone — the way THEY like it, not how he thinks is best. Scenes like Icarus learning local songs and singing with people. Scenes like Eye-Scream doing endless ice cream for the kids. These are things I think we tend to overlook, thinking that in a triage situation, folks should be happy with whatever people from outside deign to give. But in reality, I think we all underestimate what meeting folks where they are can do — prioritizing moments of dignity, of small comforts, of pinches of normalcy. It goes a long long way.

AIPT: As we wrap up, are there any specific Mutant First Strike ramifications we can expect to ripple through the Fall of X?

Steve: This is an easy answer — yes! You’ll see the war of public opinion carry on throughout not just the Hellfire Gala but Astonishing Iceman and many other books. Maybe not in the spotlight, but as the creeping sickness helping everyday people become more and more comfortable with ORCHIS’s incremental anti-mutant fascism.

And this week's eXclusive preview images:

I love how Roberto is always wearing whatever the hell he wants when everyone else is in costume. He's like royals who don't have to follow fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Seconded! It was great to see their three pieces especially the Betsy as Spider-Woman which I love.

Little confused about Orchis letting Judas Traveller join. He is a mutant isnt he?
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Genesis is coming, but a DaCosta must always be wearing fancy and casual outfits.
    Last edited by Ramiel12; 06-12-2023 at 09:42 AM.

I really like how Orlando is really thinking about "mutants solutions" about actual issues.

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    Little confused about Orchis letting Judas Traveller join. He is a mutant isnt he?
    Yeah, he’s a mutant, AFAIK, he’s living up to his name for sure. Orchis will apparently ally with anyone who wants to commit genocide on the mutant race, even if that person is a mutant. It is a wicked and traitorous thing but if you look to our own world you’ll see fascists aplenty who’d do the same, logic be damned!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Yeah, he’s a mutant, AFAIK, he’s living up to his name for sure. Orchis will apparently ally with anyone who wants to commit genocide on the mutant race, even if that person is a mutant. It is a wicked and traitorous thing but if you look to our own world you’ll see fascists aplenty who’d do the same, logic be damned!
    SO true in todays world.

I dont see how Nimrod or Karima lets him live if they achieve their goals. He must doesn't realize that.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

The did the same with the Nazi twins though too recently - so I guess at the moment they’re solely “anyone against Krakoa, then we’ll turn on them”

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Seconded! It was great to see their three pieces especially the Betsy as Spider-Woman which I love.
    Hey thank you very much guys, and thanks to AIPT, they were very nice to publish the creations the fans submitted,
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Yeah after reading this interview this very much feels like, “damn Marauders wasn’t actually the disaster relief book I sold it as, so let me give the fans that concept even if it’s a one-shot.” As much as I like the idea of their being a disaster relief team operating in the background of Krakoa, so far concepts that don’t have books (X-Factor, X-Corp, etc.) fall by the wayside very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    SO true in todays world.

I dont see how Nimrod or Karima lets him live if they achieve their goals. He must doesn't realize that.
    Maybe he (foolishly) thinks he can overpower or outmaneuver them?
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.