Amazing Member

Default How well would Lex Luthor do as Superman?

Let's suppose no elements from post crisis ever came to the new 52 universe and Lex took over the reigns of Superman fully after the death of his world's Superman. How well do you think he would have done as Superman?
    Last edited by Harrynorine; 06-12-2023 at 07:31 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

It's such a shame we never got that story.

I was really interested to see a slow burn descent for Lex to return to his natural state, especially if it could be left somewhat understandable from Lex's side.

Personally, I think Lex would make an excellent Superman... for a time. But he can't help but look down on people, so eventually their praise would become hollow, the criticisms more galling and he'd question why he is bothering. That, of course, turns to resentment.

I'm not sure if he'd just stop or turn more authoritarian, I guess the latter with Lex's ego knowing what's best for everyone and he'd never be able to admit he wasn't doing right (or better than Supes).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If lex gives altruism a chance then superman is an outdated concept...nobody will need a guy from the sky to fix their lives.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think the current Williamson story is good insight. Being earnest and pragmatic is good and will carry him to be technically excellent if only for a while, but compassion is an X-Factor. It shouldn't be enough of a detail to make much difference when you're good at what you do, as we see in the real world, but it's the beginning and end of this sorta lifestyle we're talking about
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If lex gives altruism a chance then superman is an outdated concept...nobody will need a guy from the sky to fix their lives.
    "If you wanted to, Luthor, you could have saved the world years ago."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    "If you wanted to, Luthor, you could have saved the world years ago."
    To be fair i am not talking about lex saving the world.. That's not his deal.I think if lex was the hero, people wouldn't look up at the sky no longer.They would need to look inwards,confront their demons,maybe find courage and change things...if they want to that is and within reason.cause they wouldn't be looking at individuals as ideals.I mean look at lex he is an arrogant prick.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Not well at all.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    It's such a shame we never got that story.
    Perhaps, but in a way, maybe that's a good thing. I'd want that story done right, not just be some fodder for some forgettable story. Need a top writer to fully exploit this, and maybe it can't be properly done in a main title, but instead in a Black Label book or something. Maybe DC should consider Waid for such a tale.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Well, there was Jurgens and Tomasi on Supes at the time so you're bang on the money with that! There is no way, in 2016, they were the team to do that story justice.

I'm not sure if Waid would be able to cope with the psychology needed to sculpt a truly repentant Lex. I'd want it to be a real struggle against his inner darkness.

Unlike me to suggest them, but maybe Morrison? I'd love to see a take on planet Lexor.

Christopher Cantwell has been doing some interesting things along these lines over at Marvel (Iron Man in particular, then Gold Goblin). Maybe a fresher voice could make it work.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

He'd eventually become egoistical, believing he's a better superhero than Superman, he would start to actively get involved in the world's politics to the point where the government actively turn against him because he's trying enforce his will upon the world. Then I believe Luthor would begin to become close to Batman in Kingdom Come with a robots monitoring the world. Eventually he would begin to see himself above the World, an almighty protector, except he's ruthless and cruel. In the end, it'll be a story showcasing why Luthor isn't a good superhero, he can never be Earth-3 Lex Luthor. Superman will battle him, and win. I would suspect Luthor after a stint and failure as a superhero would be leave Earth to lick his wounds for a while.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 06-20-2023 at 06:46 PM.