View Poll Results: When does your Spider-man canon end?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Death of Gwen Stacy

2 3.64%
  • The Wedding

3 5.45%
  • The 90s Clone Saga

8 14.55%
  • Byrne/Mackie Reboot

2 3.64%
  • One More Day

22 40.00%
  • Superior Spider-man

1 1.82%
  • Nick Spencer's run

4 7.27%
  • other

13 23.64%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    This doesn't ring true to me. The past couple of months this forum has had all kind of weird posts about MJ's sexual autonomy (just earlier today I saw a post calling her a "thot"), all coming from people deeply invested in her being married to Peter.
    Are you part of that pre-1970 age bracket? I'm sorry if that came off the wrong way. I was half-joking, but I can understand why older fans (if you are one) would take offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Are you part of that pre-1970 age bracket? I'm sorry if that came off the wrong way. I was half-joking, but I can understand why older fans (if you are one) would take offense.
    "Thot" seems like language that's used by someone born long after 1970.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

No, I'm younger than that. But I can't say I've seen any "Hates the marriage, calls MJ a slut" from that age group or younger. On this board alone I've seen "Loves the marriage, calls MJ a thot".

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

No, I'm younger than that. But I can't say I've seen any "Hates the marriage, calls MJ a slut" from that age group or younger. On this board alone I've seen "Loves the marriage, calls MJ a thot".
    Wasn't that one person, not an entire group like you are clearly trying to insinuate? One person does not speak for everyone, you should know that.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Wasn't that one person, not an entire group like you are clearly trying to insinuate? One person does not speak for everyone, you should know that.
    Yeah I know who that person is and I've actually called them out for it.

I would say the bulk of marriage fans are also fans of Mary Jane's character and would like the character to have a leading role in the Spider-man books again. This seems to run contrary to anti-marriage fans who prefer MJ in a much smaller role that's more akin to the Lee-Romita era. Or that make arguments about her being replaceable. Many of them also seem to prefer her pre-development party girl archetype.

I will say that I haven't seen many anti-marriage readers/writers outright call Mary Jane a "slut." (I've seen that behavior mostly from casual fans that dislike MJ from the Raimi films.) However, I have absolutely seen some dubious claims from anti-marriage writers suggesting that Mary Jane is the type of girl you should have sex with and not marry. Those quotes are out there. I can't say I've seen similar behavior from pro-marriage professionals.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 06-20-2023 at 07:35 AM.

I just ran across this old jokey tweet I made months ago:

How To Predict A Spidey Fan's Age With 60% Accuracy:

Born before 1970: Hates the marriage, calls MJ a slut.
    Born '71-mid 80s: "Norman should have stayed dead."
    Born late 80s-late 90s: Won't shut up about 2/4: TAS, Raimi, JMS, Spectacular
    Born 2000+: Just discovered Ultimate and won't shut up.

Hmm, I wonder if this relates to the "canon" thing.
    Got my shrivveled millennial derriere lmao

Astonishing Member

I don't think online forums or social media are representative of the larger fandom, but "Hates the marriage, calls MJ a slut" is a weird thing to see on this particular forum after weeks of hand-wringing about Mary Jane's sex life, exclusively from people who love Peter and MJ's marriage. "MJ is a thot" was an example of a post I'd seen just hours earlier, but there had been other posts with similar sentiments. Only a minority of Peter/MJ fans on this forum have taken issue with MJ's sex life, but I've not seen any "hates the marriage" people on this forum take issue with MJ's sex life. Maybe that's true in other online communities, but not this one.

Mighty Member

To be fair, I've barely seen many "hates the marriage" fans on this forum to begin with
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 06-20-2023 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    To be fair, I've barely seen many "hates the marriage" fans on this forum to begin with
    majority is for the marriage while the rest are just indifferent to it
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

In some ways, issue #180 of The Amazing Spider-Man was the last issue in a great run.
    After #180 there were good to great issues but nothing like the first 180 issues. In my opinion.
    181.jpg

I'm not one to get bogged down in canon. All I care about is whether I like something or not, so its status as being an "official" made-up-thing vs an alternate made-up-thing doesn't really make all that much difference to me.

Indeed, I fully accept that the events of One More Day happened. However, in doing so, it created an alternate timeline full of different versions of the characters I'd been reading up until that point. So that's naturally the moment where my Spidey went away. Literally. Erased. Wiped over. Replaced by himself. But not quite himself.

It's somewhat ironic in a way. The first time Peter was replaced by himself (Ben), that's what brought me on board the Spidey books back in the 90's. But context is all, ain't it. The Clone Saga tried to give Pete a happy ending. OMD just blipped him out of existence. Canon ot not, that feels pretty much like an end to me.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Mighty Member

This doesn't ring true to me. The past couple of months this forum has had all kind of weird posts about MJ's sexual autonomy (just earlier today I saw a post calling her a "thot"), all coming from people deeply invested in her being married to Peter.
    There's definitely a contigent of fans, perhaps not around here, that don't like MJ in comparison to Gwen and take umbridge with her dating around. There's also a contingent you can find on certain other more hostile boards who don't like her and will call her a slut because of post-OMD events like the current storyline, and they do hate the marriage because they feel like she is no longer worthy of our favorite hero.

When I use the term THOT is to insult the run, because MJ isn't a THOT and shouldn't be written as one, yet by ignoring her preferences and personality the writer has nonetheless portrayed her as one. I don't need the label to recognize the behavior as out of character and bad, but sometimes using more extreme vernacular can be useful in accurately summarizing the situation and causing people to realize it is therefore wrong. As opposed to trying to sanitize the negative behavior by calling it "sexual autonomy".

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    When I use the term THOT is to insult the run, because MJ isn't a THOT and shouldn't be written as one, yet by ignoring her preferences and personality the writer has nonetheless portrayed her as one. I don't need the label to recognize the behavior as out of character and bad, but sometimes using more extreme vernacular can be useful in accurately summarizing the situation and causing people to realize it is therefore wrong. As opposed to trying to sanitize the negative behavior by calling it "sexual autonomy".
    The term THOT is just a sexist slur for a woman who has a lot of casual sex. Using that vernacular just makes it sound like you're criticizing Mary Jane for having casual sex in this run or for not being chaste (Which she hasn't even had in this run as far as I'm aware?) Perhaps that's not your intention. But the term doesn't make your argument more powerful. It just muddies whatever point you're trying to convey and makes it sound like you're one of those fans that cares more about a female love interest's sexual "purity."
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 06-20-2023 at 02:25 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    The term THOT is just a sexist slur for a woman who has a lot of casual sex. Using that vernacular just makes it sound like you're criticizing Mary Jane for having casual sex in this run or for not being chaste (Which she hasn't even had in this run as far as I'm aware?) Perhaps that's not your intention. But the term doesn't make your argument more powerful. It just muddies whatever point you're trying to convey and makes it sound like you're one of those fans that cares more about a female love interest's sexual "purity."
    It's possible that does happen, which is why I've generally pulled back from it after I think someone else brought it up, maybe it was you. That's also different from how I've heard the term used, in that it's not about the quantity of sex but certain types of behavior. The people I've heard using it are definitely not the type to care about "purity" so I definitely don't associate it as having anything to do with that concept one way or another.

That said, the argument is always made in the posts so ignoring all that because an insult is used (especially when the point is that the insult is not how it should be) is also unfair of anyone reading it.
    Last edited by Xenon; 06-20-2023 at 03:25 PM.

I just ran across this old jokey tweet I made months ago:

How To Predict A Spidey Fan's Age With 60% Accuracy:

Born before 1970: Hates the marriage, calls MJ a slut.
    Born '71-mid 80s: "Norman should have stayed dead."
    Born late 80s-late 90s: Won't shut up about 2/4: TAS, Raimi, JMS, Spectacular
    Born 2000+: Just discovered Ultimate and won't shut up.

Hmm, I wonder if this relates to the "canon" thing.
    Looks accurate
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver