View Poll Results: When does your Spider-man canon end?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Death of Gwen Stacy

2 3.64%
  • The Wedding

3 5.45%
  • The 90s Clone Saga

8 14.55%
  • Byrne/Mackie Reboot

2 3.64%
  • One More Day

22 40.00%
  • Superior Spider-man

1 1.82%
  • Nick Spencer's run

4 7.27%
  • other

13 23.64%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Peter says he and Gwen never slept together in Sins Past.

(Even though the original plan for the story was for the kids to be Peter's.)
    That was a retcon. ASM #98 and Blue came out before Sins Past, and both implied they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    That was a retcon. ASM #98 and Blue came out before Sins Past, and both implied they did.
    Blue itself has all sorts of retcons, and I'm not sure it (and the other Marvel Color books) is supposed to be canon to 616.

(I think Blue is a fine story in and of itself.)

Mighty Member

I don't personally consider Blue 616 canon. Always read like an elseworlds homage to the silver age to me. Especially since the events that inspire Blue are all out of order and the characters are styled differently. (Like MJ's intro outfit.)

That being said, Sins Past was a terrible addition to canon and I've always basically ignored it. Lol
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 06-24-2023 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I don't personally consider Blue 616 canon. Always read like an elseworlds homage to the silver age to me. Especially since the events that inspire Blue are all out of order and the characters are styled differently. (Like MJ's intro outfit.)

That being said, Sins Past was a terrible addition to canon and I've always basically ignored it. Lol
    To be fair, the Spider-Girl crossover comic did that, too.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

(Like MJ's intro outfit.)
    Of all the things to worry about when it comes to canon, whether a person is wearing the right shirt during a flashback wouldn't even make my top 1,000 list.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    To be fair, the Spider-Girl crossover comic did that, too.
    Which Spider-Girl crossover comic? The one where Spider-girl meets young Peter? I believe that takes place before the "face it tiger" scene, but would also still be an MC2-verse story.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Of all the things to worry about when it comes to canon, whether a person is wearing the right shirt during a flashback wouldn't even make my top 1,000 list.
    I mean that's a pretty big scene to change, no? It isn't like Harry Osborn's first panel. The face it tiger panel is one of the most iconic Spider-man panels and has been referenced verbatim countless times in canon. In a medium that's largely visual, changing the outfit so dramatically could easily be artistic shorthand for "this ain't 616." But that's far from the only thing that's changed. The actual story doesn't line up. It's also a story that's entirely self-contained in its own title. So in context yeah it doesn't read as canon to me.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 06-24-2023 at 04:49 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    To be honest, I think some people overlook obvious stuff like this because they really like the idea of Peter and MJ being each other's firsts.
    It's not a bad idea. While my mind is prone to consider such things I never actually thought of that part while I was reading through at the time. I think considering what happened to her I like they idea they consummated their relationship, i mean heck I like the idea of them eloping and not telling anyone right before 121 too but that's not suggested in the story lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Peter says he and Gwen never slept together in Sins Past.

(Even though the original plan for the story was for the kids to be Peter's.)
    And of course Sins Past is the gift that keeps giving. I do think you can generally make this work still, but I also have no affection for that abomination and wouldn't mind if Peter just said later on he was hypnotized by Mysterio too.

until then though that IS the canon, regardless of how much was implied before lol.

I say either Superior or maybe when Peter and Miles' universes merge together.

Which Spider-Girl crossover comic? The one where Spider-girl meets young Peter? I believe that takes place before the "face it tiger" scene, but would also still be an MC2-verse story.
    Yeah, where Mayday goes back in time to the first Spider Slayer story. At one point, she winds up at the Parker residence and meets her mom (an expansion of the scene where Betty Brant and Liz Allen meet Mary Jane, adding the joke that now they think there's another girl vying for Peter's affections). MJ's outfit was modernized for that comic.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

I mean that's a pretty big scene to change, no? It isn't like Harry Osborn's first panel. The face it tiger panel is one of the most iconic Spider-man panels and has been referenced verbatim countless times in canon. In a medium that's largely visual, changing the outfit so dramatically could easily be artistic shorthand for "this ain't 616." But that's far from the only thing that's changed. The actual story doesn't line up. It's also a story that's entirely self-contained in its own title. So in context yeah it doesn't read as canon to me.
    Fair enough.

But honestly '616' itself isn't absolutely immutable in terms of canon, not least because of the sliding timescale (which is something that exists in-universe). If Tony Stark can go from being wounded in the Vietnam, to Afghanistan, to 'Siancong', then I don't think MJ's outfit should be much of an issue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, where Mayday goes back in time to the first Spider Slayer story. At one point, she winds up at the Parker residence and meets her mom (an expansion of the scene where Betty Brant and Liz Allen meet Mary Jane, adding the joke that now they think there's another girl vying for Peter's affections). MJ's outfit was modernized for that comic.
    Yeah I remember that. They changed that dress that Ditko gave her.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Fair enough.

But honestly '616' itself isn't absolutely immutable in terms of canon, not least because of the sliding timescale (which is something that exists in-universe). If Tony Stark can go from being wounded in the Vietnam, to Afghanistan, to 'Siancong', then I don't think MJ's outfit should be much of an issue.
    Well MJ's original face it tiger look isn't that dated. It's just a sleeveless black top and some pants. Blue goes for a dress that's far more 1960s mod. And then goes on to reference a 1950s Buddy Holly song with a jukebox.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 06-25-2023 at 10:52 AM.