View Poll Results: When does your Spider-man canon end?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Death of Gwen Stacy

2 3.64%
  • The Wedding

3 5.45%
  • The 90s Clone Saga

8 14.55%
  • Byrne/Mackie Reboot

2 3.64%
  • One More Day

22 40.00%
  • Superior Spider-man

1 1.82%
  • Nick Spencer's run

4 7.27%
  • other

13 23.64%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Green Symbiote View Post
    For me, Spidey stopped being Spidey at ASM 508. Sins Past was grossly offensive and I can’t believe some of y’all are willing to include that as part of your canon.
    Crazy how much of JMS run people recommend that run is awful .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krec99 View Post
    Crazy how much of JMS run people recommend that run is awful .
    People can judge a run by one story. It happens.

The fact is so long as Peter and MJ are together, people will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

This is the real truth here
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Sins past isn’t that bad imo. It’s not like Gwen Stacy had a character to ruin.

They're not together for like the first 20 issues of the run, and the first arc and the issue where Peter and May discuss his being Spider-Man are among the most liked bits of the run.

I also like the stories where Peter helps out his students. Spider-Man helping out "little guys" are some of his best stories.

What was great about it?
    Literally everything.

1) We witnessed the very beginning and the very end of Spider-Man
    2) It was, probably, the longest and most exhausting fight Peter even went through (had to battle ALL of his enemies in a gauntlet + relive some of the most tough situations)
    3) Heartwarming talk with Uncle Ben about life, regrets and happiness. I don't remember if it ever was done before or after that. It doesn't feel cheesy, it feels earned.
    4) It's ended on the very high note. Peter's life is always going to be dangerous, but he overcomes the odds, has a loving wife and supporting friends. This is it, this is the end. Roll the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    My Spidey continuity ends with Kraven's Last Hunt. For me this was the last genuinely great Spider-Man story and is the perfect ending to Peter's saga. He's recently married Mary Jane and has shaken off his lovable loser persona by marrying the love of his life. He experiences the trauma of being "killed" and reborn, and is driven by his love for her throughout the story while overcoming his fears and doubts. He comes to terms with who he is and is ready to build a new life with Mary Jane.

When the story ends, I am more than happy to draw a line here and say "Peter and Mary Jane lived happily ever after".
    So you didn't care for the Return of the Sin-Eater, the debut of Tombstone or Venom's first appearance (three stories that came out within half a year of Kraven's Last Hunt.)

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, like it or not, from a continuity perspective, OMIT does make the marriage erasure make a kind of sense in the context of 616 continuity. Which hopefully opens the door for a simple solution to its restoration as well down the line
    A restoration could be done really quickly.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So you didn't care for the Return of the Sin-Eater, the debut of Tombstone or Venom's first appearance (three stories that came out within half a year of Kraven's Last Hunt.)
    I honestly prefer Return of the Sin-Eater to the Death of Jean DeWoffee.

A restoration could be done really quickly.
    When Marvel eventally undoes OMD and OMIT its going to be an event with a bunch of tie-ins, knowing how Marvel likes to milk this stuff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    They're not together for like the first 20 issues of the run, and the first arc and the issue where Peter and May discuss his being Spider-Man are among the most liked bits of the run.

I also like the stories where Peter helps out his students. Spider-Man helping out "little guys" are some of his best stories.
    While helping out the little guy is good, Peter honestly isn’t important to those stories. That’s why it’s hard to justify them in the run.

While helping out the little guy is good, Peter honestly isn’t important to those stories. That’s why it’s hard to justify them in the run.
    huh?

Return of Sin-Eater was very good and Tombstone was solid but I don't consider either to be truly great.

For me, Venom's first appearance is much like the bulk of Michelinie's run - it's an okay story with fantastic art that could have been so much more. Having reread most of this run is the past 6 months I'm surprised at how much it doesn't live up to my memories of it. The art from McFarlane, Larsen and Bagley is really the selling point.

Having said that, its not that I dislike every story after Kraven's Last Hunt. I just feel that this is a good end point for my version of the character. Peter has vanquished his foe, returned from the dead, come to terms with himself and gotten the girl. He's gone through the heroes journey and won. The bullied loser from Amazing Fantasy 15 has grown into a great hero, married the love of his life and found a happy place in life.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    huh?

I mean they’re not really superhero stories. Just after school specials. What use is Spider-Man here?

I mean they’re not really superhero stories. Just after school specials. What use is Spider-Man here?
    One was about a guy who was transporting homeless kids to limbo with his super powers.

Another was about the sister of a criminal Spider-Man captured, and the repercussions of that.

The stories were relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Their child and Mary Jane’s pregnancy is still a mess in terms of confirmation.....
    Exactly, along with several other stories/important moments.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    Sins past isn’t that bad imo. It’s not like Gwen Stacy had a character to ruin.
    Hahaha, that's true. As a fan of OG Gwen, I cannot deny you're right.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."