Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    When? In that one issue of Speed Metal? People give that issue so much credit because of the crap we had gotten for so many years prior.
    That AND retconning that the reason why Wally incriminated others in HiC was because of Thawne.

Not to be hall monitor but before this gets too off the rails, this is the GL#2 thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I don't think there was any need to regress Hal like that. The transition to this immature version is very jarring especially after the things Hal went through during Venditti's and Morrison's runs.

Also, Williamson already did most of the hard work with Wally after Heroes in Crisis. Adams just followed on that (and to be honest what he did was overly-predictable).
    I think there's a fine line between being immature and being confident and free-wheeling. Hal doesn't come off as a man-child here to me even if he's being a little petty and loose around others.

This is obviously all up for interpretation, but Hal's coming across as super entitled to me. This kind of thing was less obvious back in the day and nobody questioned it, but these are not those times, so replicating it here is rankling me more than a little bit. (and even if this is Adams's point - which I kinda doubt, but we'll see - I also don't want some character lecturing Hal to wise up and call him on it. Will he figure it out on his own? Fingers crossed...)

Also, piloting a private plane seems like it would be torture for Hal because you're supposed to want smooth sailing - like a racecar driver driving in NYC traffic as a cabbie.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-14-2023 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This is obviously all up for interpretation, but Hal's coming across as super entitled to me. This kind of thing was less obvious back in the day and nobody questioned it, but these are not those times, so replicating it here is rankling me more than a little bit. (and even if this is Adams's point - which I kinda doubt, but we'll see - I also don't want some character lecturing Hal to wise up and call him on it. Will he figure it out on his own? Fingers crossed...)

Also, piloting a private plane seems like it would be torture for Hal because you're supposed to want smooth sailing - like a racecar driver driving in NYC traffic as a cabbie.
    Maybe he comes off entitled but also just feels like a consummate flirt and charmer, but I guess that's up to personal opinion.

I mean, he might appreciate being Carol's personal chauffeur if he can always go back and flirt some more with her .

Isn't one of the main themes of this run that the world has passed Hal by. It's not like he's being rewarded for his antics towards Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe he comes off entitled but also just feels like a consummate flirt and charmer, but I guess that's up to personal opinion.
    I get it, but to me flirting is a two-way street, and once it's not reciprocated, it becomes something else.(i.e. read the room,(or cabin) Hal)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Isn't one of the main themes of this run that the world has passed Hal by. It's not like he's being rewarded for his antics towards Carol.
    True. But again, it doesn't compel me to like him considering how he's handled it so far. And y'know... I already love Hal! Just not this side of him, which again feels like a regression.

I have high hopes and high standards for a Hal-lead series, so I'm just being impatient to see the stuff I want to see that makes Hal great.(to me) Fingers still crossed, the art is amazing and I'll always be happy to see a Hal book on the stands.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-14-2023 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I get it, but to me flirting is a two-way street, and once it's not reciprocated, it becomes something else.(i.e. read the room,(or cabin) Hal)
    I guess for me I feel like Carol on some level reciprocates, she's just kind of a tsundere about it.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess for me I feel like Carol on some level reciprocates, she's just kind of a tsundere about it.
    Which would be fine if she was single or something (like at the beginning of Venditti's run) but putting her already in a relationship just makes everyone involved in this situation look kinda bad.

I enjoyed it and the story is just getting started, so I can’t judge it too much.

I don’t mind a cocky Hal - it’s a quality that can be endearing and annoying depending on the situation. Which gives him a flaw, which is good.

I’m totally unclear here as to Carol’s status as a, or a former, Star Sapphire. I like the character a lot so I hope we get an update on her thoughts about that.

The art is great and I’m enjoying the close up panels of facial expressions.

Wildly, the second title I read in a row last night featuring the Demolition Crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Which would be fine if she was single or something (like at the beginning of Venditti's run) but putting her already in a relationship just makes everyone involved in this situation look kinda bad.
    Wouldn't be the first time, like Carol's last husband .

Hmmmm, not sure if I'm feeling Hal locking Nathan in the bathroom after spilling his drink. I'd honestly love to see Hal and Nathan bond and have him be something more than an obstacle, especially cuz Nathan was nothing but friendly to him.

Also, if I had a nickel for every time Adams started a run with the lead character lucking their way into a high-paying day job, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it's happened twice
    Last edited by Tomkatie; 06-14-2023 at 04:53 PM.

Need more pages on John's story, I'm intrigued by the Revenant Queen's plan but there's just so little to go on!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    Need more pages on John's story, I'm intrigued by the Revenant Queen's plan but there's just so little to go on!
    Right, that's my only criticism here. It's too short and too much teases going on here.

Loved the issue. This is probably the most I have liked Hal ever. I loved Johns GL run but that was more about plot and other characters for me. Hal is very likeable here IMO. He is a flirt, a little jerky sometimes, confident hero. Yeah... is his behavior perfect ? Nope. But that is ok...I don't need to read about perfect heroes. Sometimes people hit on exes even when they are with other people, sometimes people flirt back. It happens. Its life. Also I think people here are reading the whole part where Carols fiance commenting on Hal being funny all wrong. I don't think Adams has him saying it so the reader knows it...it is more showing his character in my mind...like he is some big goof who is being charmed but his fiances ex.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!