Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    I think that, when Aquaman flops (because i mean, it's going to flop when it gets leaked that Amber Heart has been replaced with a cgi muppet or some bullshti like that), the lesson WB will extract will be "no, superheroes don't sell anymore, let's do nothing except Batman and Joker movies" but thay may be just me
    Aquaman 2 failing won't be on Gunn's head. I think everyone is aware that this is a huge turning point for DC. Now, if Superman: Legacy fails now that would be the end of Gunn.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    So Gal Gadot won't rule out returning. I like her enough as WW, but at some point WB needs to fish or cut bait. This sort of in-between is not interesting.
    Given that Gunn's DCU is seemingly going to be set in a world where superheroes are already established quantity. Neither Superman nor Batman are getting origin movies.

I don't think we need a new telling of Wonder Woman's first day in Man's World either. Take a page out of Greg Rucka's run and have her established and working in an embassy. Maybe do a Trinity movie (of course with Diana in a better role than in Wagner's story) and give her her own solo movie. If there is to be a crossover with Gal Gadot's WW, only do it after the new WW is established.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I've kind of resigned myself that we're likely never going to see another live action Wonder Woman movie.

I'm sure Superman: Legacy will happen, and maybe it'll be successful, but it won't make the money Warner needs. And they're following it with The Authority and Creature Commandos? The DCU is dead in the water. We're not getting that Amazon TV show, and there won't be another Wonder Woman.

It does hammer home what a wasted opportunity WW84 was in the long run. After waiting years for a live action Wonder Woman, we finally got one that was successful and embraced by the public. They had good-will, a game cast, and with the origin out of the way, 80 years of history to draw on for a new story. Queen Clea, Osira, Gundra, Dr. Psycho, Cheetah done right...Nubia, the Bana-Migdhall, Donna Troy...and what did they land on? Max Lord and the idiotic wishing stone.

Yet, having said that, I still would've liked to see Gal Gadot wrap up a trilogy. But that's out of the cards, and it's as close as we're ever going to get. We all know Wonder Woman can only have a movie if the rest of the Justice League gets movies first/too. Only Batman and Joker are allowed to thrive on their own.
    Creature Commandos is animated and rated R. The Authority is rated R as well. Nobody is expecting them to do gangbusters. All any of these movies including Superman: Legacy has to do is recoup their budget.

And if everything has been foretold and we are so certain it will never ever work out then why do we even bother anything WW related?

Quote Originally Posted by fong03 View Post
    Proven how exactly? Hemsworth is maybe the only one of those listed that you could make an argument for because he can be genuinely funny and has played more varied roles. Cavill has his physicality, which is impressive, but he's not a good actor. Mamoa has a lot of charisma, but he too is limited in what he can do. I'd lump Gal with those guys.
    They do well inhabiting their characters and conveying emotions.

Gadot is, at the end of the day, a model. Even in serious scenes she comes off as posing. For example in the NML scene in WW1 she has the expression that conveys "I'm trying to look determined" rather than someone going "I am determined". It's like acting equivalent of Christian Bale's growling "I'm trying to sound scary" Bat voice vs Kevin Conroy's "I am someone who is intimidating and scary" Bat voice.

That said, Gal's main contribution to WW lore is the fact that she made people realize that it's fine for WW to have an accent.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by fong03 View Post
    Proven how exactly? Hemsworth is maybe the only one of those listed that you could make an argument for because he can be genuinely funny and has played more varied roles. Cavill has his physicality, which is impressive, but he's not a good actor. Mamoa has a lot of charisma, but he too is limited in what he can do. I'd lump Gal with those guys.
    A lot of people, including some here, have a hateboner for Gal Gadot supposedly because of her "horrible" acting, while praising the bland non-acting of Hemsworth (who actually has comedic timing, but whose line readings are wooden AF), Momoa, and Evans.
    I totally know why they are biased against her, but of course, nobody will admit to it.
    Oh, well. Here's to hopefully finding a new Wonder Woman actress that makes us all proud when she wins that Oscar...
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 06-23-2023 at 09:29 PM.

Those other actors have proven themselves to have more range in their work outside of superheroes movies. Hemsworth gave a solid performance in Rush, and Chris Evans was really great in Knives Out and Snowpiercer. Gal Gadot delivers the same quality of performance in every project she’s in. I’m not biased against her, it’s just pure observation.

I agree that you don’t have to be an amazing actor to star in a superhero film, because those scripts rarely ever give the talent opportunities to flex their true ability. Still, I think fans are within their rights to strive for someone better lol. And when you have an abysmally bad script like WW84 had, it further exposes the shortcomings of the lead actress.
    Last edited by Dipter; 06-24-2023 at 10:24 AM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Those other actors have proven themselves to have more range in their work outside of superheroes movies. Hemsworth gave a solid performance in Rush, and Chris Evans was really great in Knives Out and Snowpiercer. Gal Gadot delivers the same quality of performance in every project she’s in. I’m not biased against her, it’s just pure observation.

I agree that you don’t have to be an amazing actor to star in a superhero film, because those scripts rarely ever give the talent opportunities to flex their true ability. Still, I think fans are within their rights to strive for someone better lol. And when you have an abysmally bad script like WW84 had, it further exposes the shortcomings of the lead actress.
    I don't view those guys as anything special acting wise. But to each their own.

I think Gal's best acting moment as WW was in WW84, in the scene where she has to say goodbye to Steve. Which proves she has potential.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    I don't view those guys as anything special acting wise. But to each their own.

I think Gal's best acting moment as WW was in WW84, in the scene where she has to say goodbye to Steve. Which proves she has potential.
    I agree with both points. I think Hemsworth has really good comedic timing, outside of that, I don't think any of those men are particularly memorable as actors.

Regarding 1984, I, too, think she was better in that movie than the first Wonder Woman. I think Gal has wonderfully expressive eyes and facial responses. I always loved the look of longing, embarrassment and sadness when the waiter is clearing her table because she's sitting alone. I alone loved the mix of confidence and disgust when she first meets Max and he's interacting with Barbara. There's also a mix of confusion and surprise when she first sees Barbara in that rather extravagant and eccentric outfit when they meet the Mayan.

I think Gal's biggest problem is her struggle with vocal inflection and tonal affective range. I think the 1984 script failed her because Gal often had to repeat lines concurrently. "Why can't I have this one thing? This one thing," when Steve is trying to get her to renounce her wish in her Watergate apartment. It shows her struggle for tonal change and variation and emotional veracity. I think Jenkins brings out the best in Gal, but you can more easily see her struggles in Red Notice and Death on the Nile. I hope she gets an elocution coach to help her provide emotional range without abandoning her accent.

Evans and Hemsworth are himbos with zero range and wooden deliveries, but when your accent is Australian, British, or American, even shitty actors are perceived as "great" by American ears. To each their own indeed.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

They play superheroes...we arent exactly looking for emmy award winning nominations. Nice when it happens but...all of em get the job done.

Some get the job done better than others though. I don't even consider Gal the worst superhero actor in recent years anyway, I'd say that label goes to the Rock as Black Adam lol. But I think the hope is that whenever the next Wonder Woman movie happens, it, and superhero movies as a genre, will have improved writing and more talented actors to execute said writing. Kinda sucks that we just accept the current quality of these projects as if nothing better can be done, that's why they keep getting worse.
    Last edited by Dipter; 06-24-2023 at 06:11 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    They do well inhabiting their characters and conveying emotions.

Gadot is, at the end of the day, a model. Even in serious scenes she comes off as posing. For example in the NML scene in WW1 she has the expression that conveys "I'm trying to look determined" rather than someone going "I am determined". It's like acting equivalent of Christian Bale's growling "I'm trying to sound scary" Bat voice vs Kevin Conroy's "I am someone who is intimidating and scary" Bat voice.

That said, Gal's main contribution to WW lore is the fact that she made people realize that it's fine for WW to have an accent.
    We will have to agree to disagree. Neither Cavill nor Mamoa do well in conveying emotion, let alone adding any depth to the characters they portray. The fair criticisms for Gadot apply equally to those gentlemen.

They all do bring something to the table - the physicality of Cavil, charisma of Mamoa, and warmth of Gadot complement their characters, but *none* of them are particularly good actors. They may be better than her, but only marginally so and not enough not to lump them all together.

But again, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The only smidgen of reassurance is that Gunn is friends with Kelly Sue DeConnick.
    True, and it seems that the hard copy collected edition of Historia name drops Paradise Lost as though it's the inspiration for that project.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    A lot of people, including some here, have a hateboner for Gal Gadot supposedly because of her "horrible" acting, while praising the bland non-acting of Hemsworth (who actually has comedic timing, but whose line readings are wooden AF), Momoa, and Evans.
    I totally know why they are biased against her, but of course, nobody will admit to it.
    Oh, well. Here's to hopefully finding a new Wonder Woman actress that makes us all proud when she wins that Oscar...
    I don't think Gal Gadot's acting is that bad. I mean, she's not Oscar-worthy, but she's perfectly fine. And she was believable as hell crossing No Man's Land. She really helped make that scene the masterpiece that it was.

Astonishing Member

I feel like she was fine in the first film, but that second movie gave her so little to work with, it made come off bad.

Gal is great at action scenes and she can do big emotional moments, but she can't do anything even a little bit subtle and it's extremely limiting. The first WW film was perfect for her because that Diana was naïve and emotional (plus her excellent chemistry with Chris Pine did her a lot of favors) but she can't pull off a more mature, serious, or subdued version of the character at all.

Also her line delivery is notoriously awkward - see: "Kal-El, no!", "Enough champagne to fill the nile!", etc. It's honestly very hard to make a case for her acting ability in anything but WW (2017), DC or otherwise.

Overall I think she and Henry Cavill are pretty comparable - they have their moments, but overall they're lousy actors who get cast in things because they're absurdly beautiful. People are just much less forgiving to Gal than Henry because (a) she's a woman and (b) she has a foreign accent.

I don't really understand a lot of the hate Gal Gadot gets, period. Whether it's people calling her a baby killer, the criticism she got for the "Imagine" collab, reading cue cards on Saturday Night Live, her acting, etc., it always seems overblown to me.

Except for Huawei/iPhone incident. That's worth laughing at.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Evans and Hemsworth are himbos with zero range and wooden deliveries, but when your accent is Australian, British, or American, even shitty actors are perceived as "great" by American ears. To each their own indeed.
    So you think Evans' performance as Captain America was the same as his Human Torch?

As for Hemsworth, it fits the character - Thor is very much a large ham anyway.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman