Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The only smidgen of reassurance is that Gunn is friends with Kelly Sue DeConnick.
    I don't think we even have that. According to her Word Balloon interview on Historia 3, they have only met a couple of times and nobody has approached her on the Paradise Lost show

Gunn has said he only shared about half of the chapter 1 slate so I have a feeling a solo WW film is going to be announced later this year, possibly at SDCC.

I'd love a show about the Amazons, but my gut tells me they never actually planned to make Paradise Lost. There haven't been any rumors about it, they didn't recommend source material like they did for the other shows/films, and the pitch told us almost nothing. My guess is that they weren't ready to announce that they were recasting Gal Gadot but still felt like they needed to include a Wonder Woman project so they just put an Amazons show in as a placeholder until they could confirm a reboot.

I really hope they find someone better than Gadot, I mean she seems nice and she had the spirit and heart but, not much else.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Astonishing Member

I guess it depends on how you want her depicted. Spirit and heart are fairly instrumental to the role. I certainly don't want a Xena/Lucy Lawless clone. I think had the second move been better -- or if the first movie had a better version of Ares than generic CGI villain, Gadot would have gotten a third movie. I have yet to see WW2, but am happy the first was made.

Gadot was no worse in the acting department than Henry Cavill, Chris Hemsworth or Jason Momoa. Somehow, her ok acting has been called out again & again, but not those dudes' stiff line readings, and they don't even have Gadot's charm. I suspect why this is, but that's not a topic for this board.

Every single person you mentioned has proven themselves to be a descent actor.

Gadot may be the first big screen live action WW we have but that doesn't mean she is beyond reproach. If you like her, that is fine but I think it's also fair to point out her limitations especially on a WW sub forum where the primary topic would be anything WW related and not other actors who play superheroes. She has been criticized for her poor acting even in other movies she has done. She is a model and it's clear that she is just posing 90% of the time and not truly inhabiting the emotion on screen.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Incredible Member

I was heartbroken when Wonder Woman 3 was canceled. I still remember that day bitterly. I was having an awful week at school, went to a bar to drink some of my sadness away, and then saw the news on my phone.

That being said, with the last few failures of the DCEU in Shazam, Black Adam, and The Flash, I'm not as devastated as I once was. I am grateful that Gal Gadot is still popular in the role, and I hope that after the coming reboot and the recast Wonder Woman, DC Films could greenlight a third film with Gadot and Jenkins in a decade when nostalgia for the first film can hit audiences. I'm thinking early 2030s. Gal would be in her 40s and still appropriate for action films - Theron and Jolie are in their late 40s and still doing wonderful action movies, and Berry is in her late 50s and prepping for an action film as we speak.

While this may seem impossible now, we live in a world where Keaton just returned to the batsuit and McGuire and Garfield returned to their Spidey Suits. In a decade, I'll love to finally get a Gadot and Jenkins end to the trilogy.

I don't think there's going to be a new DCEU at all. God heavens say thank **** if we even get to keep James Gunn by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    I don't think there's going to be a new DCEU at all. God heavens say thank **** if we even get to keep James Gunn by the end of the year.
    I honestly feel that this attempted/partly aborted DCEU thing has gained such a bad rep with general audiences that WB should make solo films unrelated from each other. Just try to make the best solo Wonder Woman, Batman & Superman films possible and make audiences develop strong goodwill towards the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I honestly feel that this attempted/partly aborted DCEU thing has gained such a bad rep with general audiences that WB should make solo films unrelated from each other. Just try to make the best solo Wonder Woman, Batman & Superman films possible and make audiences develop strong goodwill towards the brand.
    I think that, when Aquaman flops (because i mean, it's going to flop when it gets leaked that Amber Heart has been replaced with a cgi muppet or some bullshti like that), the lesson WB will extract will be "no, superheroes don't sell anymore, let's do nothing except Batman and Joker movies" but thay may be just me

So Gal Gadot won't rule out returning. I like her enough as WW, but at some point WB needs to fish or cut bait. This sort of in-between is not interesting.

I have two hairbrained ideas for how to set up WW for the DC-Gunn-U:

1) If they want her to keep her WWI/WWII origins, I say Superman Legacy should talk about how Superman's the second such superhero to come around. Boomers will have some recollection of WW.

1a) You can do the above, but actually have WW around so she didn't disappear all Captain America-like.

2) I'm pretty partial to how Thor was set up in Iron Man 2, so if they want a classic WW origin, maybe the USAF will have an airstrike against whatever bad guys there'll be over the Atlantic Ocean and Captain Trevor's craft will be downed.

These add a bit of cohesion between the movies instead of making stuff seem like independent events. There's ups and downs to this, but it's still better than disappearing for a century because her one-week boyfriend died... nope, she actually was around but nobody remembers...

I've kind of resigned myself that we're likely never going to see another live action Wonder Woman movie.

I'm sure Superman: Legacy will happen, and maybe it'll be successful, but it won't make the money Warner needs. And they're following it with The Authority and Creature Commandos? The DCU is dead in the water. We're not getting that Amazon TV show, and there won't be another Wonder Woman.

It does hammer home what a wasted opportunity WW84 was in the long run. After waiting years for a live action Wonder Woman, we finally got one that was successful and embraced by the public. They had good-will, a game cast, and with the origin out of the way, 80 years of history to draw on for a new story. Queen Clea, Osira, Gundra, Dr. Psycho, Cheetah done right...Nubia, the Bana-Migdhall, Donna Troy...and what did they land on? Max Lord and the idiotic wishing stone.

Yet, having said that, I still would've liked to see Gal Gadot wrap up a trilogy. But that's out of the cards, and it's as close as we're ever going to get. We all know Wonder Woman can only have a movie if the rest of the Justice League gets movies first/too. Only Batman and Joker are allowed to thrive on their own.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Amen! If stars align and they put out some decent solo projects, maybe then they can consider some team-ups and crossovers. Even though Marvel has had success with its formula, I don't think DC needs to follow the same route.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Every single person you mentioned has proven themselves to be a descent actor.
    Proven how exactly? Hemsworth is maybe the only one of those listed that you could make an argument for because he can be genuinely funny and has played more varied roles. Cavill has his physicality, which is impressive, but he's not a good actor. Mamoa has a lot of charisma, but he too is limited in what he can do. I'd lump Gal with those guys.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    James Gunn already announced complete reboot dooming both Shazam 2 and Aquaman 2
    That's the problem. It isn't a complete reboot. We know Viola Davis' Waller is getting a show and I assume he's going to keep the actors from *his* movies. It was a real mistake not to wipe the slate entirely clean and start over. The problems from the DCEU are just going to seep into the DCU.

As for Wonder Woman, my guess is they haven't a clue what they're doing or how to approach the character.