Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I've kind of resigned myself that we're likely never going to see another live action Wonder Woman movie.

I'm sure Superman: Legacy will happen, and maybe it'll be successful, but it won't make the money Warner needs. And they're following it with The Authority and Creature Commandos? The DCU is dead in the water. We're not getting that Amazon TV show, and there won't be another Wonder Woman.

It does hammer home what a wasted opportunity WW84 was in the long run. After waiting years for a live action Wonder Woman, we finally got one that was successful and embraced by the public. They had good-will, a game cast, and with the origin out of the way, 80 years of history to draw on for a new story. Queen Clea, Osira, Gundra, Dr. Psycho, Cheetah done right...Nubia, the Bana-Migdhall, Donna Troy...and what did they land on? Max Lord and the idiotic wishing stone.

Yet, having said that, I still would've liked to see Gal Gadot wrap up a trilogy. But that's out of the cards, and it's as close as we're ever going to get. We all know Wonder Woman can only have a movie if the rest of the Justice League gets movies first/too. Only Batman and Joker are allowed to thrive on their own.

Yeah, it is really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    That feels weird since they had Robert Pattinson play Batman when Ben Affleck was still sitting the Bat-seat.
    Eh, Batman's the exception to the rule. In WB's eyes, you can never have too much Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Saying there shouldn't be a WW film up for development because of Gadot is as nonsense a "justification" the bad faith actors were putting out for why there shouldn't be a WW animated show because of Super Hero Girls
    Really? I can't see people saying "Gadot's chair is still warm and Gunn already replaced her? Awesome! I love it!" But I can totally see people complaining about how disrespectful it is, how it stomps all over one of the only good things we've had in over a decade, how the new girl doesn't look as 'right' as Gadot, how she'll never be as good as Gadot, how the new costume is wrong and worse, etc. Hell we've seen it happen.

We've got a film schedule up to what, 2026 or something right? 2027? If Diana doesn't show up within a year or so after that, then they've waited too long. She should be the headliner for the next slate of films. That'd give us what, roughly seven/eight years or so between movies? When did WW84 hit? That's definitely a long enough break but I wouldn't want to see it stretch any further. And maybe there's no need for a break at all, I'm not an insider and don't know the unique quirks to the industry, but I've been a nerd and comic fan long enough to see us get rabid over the dumbest **** and I wouldn't blame a company for being too cautious in trying to avoid it. Especially a company that'll basically be one stumble away from collapse by the time Legacy hits.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-06-2023 at 01:37 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Not sure if the general public is totally committed to Gadot after WW1984. Let’s face it, like the rest of the DCEU crew she’s been in more flops than successes. Only the first WW was really a big hit. I don’t think you’ll see much uproar outside of the Snyder crew (who are only angry at Gunn moving further away from the Snyderverse with every recasting, they don’t care about Gadot outside of Snyder’s films).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think the general public clearly likes Gadot as Wonder Woman (which doesn't mean they can't accept anyone else). None of the flops she was in were flops because of her.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-06-2023 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not sure if the general public is totally committed to Gadot after WW1984. Let’s face it, like the rest of the DCEU crew she’s been in more flops than successes. Only the first WW was really a big hit. I don’t think you’ll see much uproar outside of the Snyder crew (who are only angry at Gunn moving further away from the Snyderverse with every recasting, they don’t care about Gadot outside of Snyder’s films).
    You could be right, I don't follow this stuff all that closely. But people lost their **** over Henry Cavill not being American. They complained a ton when Affleck took over shortly after Bale. We've seen fans go loco over this sorta stuff. I'm just saying, if WB thought it might be wiser to wait a little, give Gadot some distance, I could understand why.

Perhaps its not even about 'uproar.' Nobody really seems to care much about these final DCEU movies. Maybe what WB is afraid of is fan apathy rather than rage. Maybe they think that with a little time, the next casting will get more attention and interest. Perhaps they hope Legacy will do well, so they can announce their new Diana to an audience that's excited about it, rather than just bored and permanently disappointed.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fans always complain when a different actor takes over a popular role but then eventually come around to loving the new actor. It's cyclical and has happened with literally every Superman and Batman actor. I don't think it will be any different for Wonder Woman and I think seeing different interpretations will be beneficial for the character in the long run.

Anyway, with Gunn claiming that the animated movies and even games will be canon to his DCEU, I wonder if that factors into how he will approach WW. Like say, Wonder Woman will get her live action counterpart but you would still have games and animated show/movies that flesh out her world even further.

Like say, the Paradise Lost sets up the backstory of the Amazons. The game features Diana fighting a threat with the Amazons on Themyscira. The live action movie does its thing and in between sequels you get animated mini series's that fill in the gaps and show her fighting more villains.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah, Gadot's last well liked movie was six years ago, she's mostly appeared in movies that had divisive reception or simple cameos since then. i don't think people would be very upset if they announced a new WW, specially in the context of a full reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Fans always complain when a different actor takes over a popular role but then eventually come around to loving the new actor. It's cyclical and has happened with literally every Superman and Batman actor. I don't think it will be any different for Wonder Woman and I think seeing different interpretations will be beneficial for the character in the long run.
    I agree, if the casting is decent people will come around. But are we expecting these corporate people to think long-term? Because in my experience few of them look any further than the next quarterly report.

Again, not saying it's a good idea or necessary, only that it fits the decisions these people have made in the past. And for once I can't blame WB too much for not looking any further than a quarterly report; given the debt they're under and the box office bombs they've had they might be afraid of not making it to the long-term at all if they can't start turning a profit on these big budget efforts.

Like say, the Paradise Lost sets up the backstory of the Amazons. The game features Diana fighting a threat with the Amazons on Themyscira. The live action movie does its thing and in between sequels you get animated mini series's that fill in the gaps and show her fighting more villains.
    I think that's probably the idea. But while it might look good on paper I have my doubts about whether they'll manage to pull it off. It could be great; you can do in one format what you couldn't do in the others, but the characters can still benefit from all those stories across platforms. But it's one thing to say it could work and quite another to execute it successfully. Plus, there's the concern that the shared universe will swallow everything and we won't get any self-contained stuff anymore, though that's a different worry than the multi-platform DCU being worth anything.

Remember when Marvel took its first swing at tv shows connected to the MCU? Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter? On paper it seemed like a home run, but once you got into the details of it, the different companies and people and contracts involved, it ended up being extremely segregated and never lived up to its potential.

Maybe WB can pull it off. They have the benefit of hindsight in their favor, as well as Gunn's experience with Marvel Studios, and WB has all the assets and infrastructure they need to keep it all in-house at the highest level, while DC has a much stronger/longer history with animation studios under WB's umbrella. We'll see, time will tell.

My big question is whether this impacts Diana's game. It'd be interesting if the first appearance of DCU Diana is in a game rather than a film or show. And that seems like it could be a can of worms all on its own, especially if the exclusivity wars start back up again (and maybe they are, given how PS5 players are pissed about Starfield being Xbox/PC only and the rumors of PS retaliating with their own slew of exclusives).
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-08-2023 at 07:37 AM.

~ Black Panther.