Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Would you be okay with a Spiderman World without Osborne?

I was thinking about how much of Spiderman's lore has been focuses on Osborne and THe Green Goblin. And while I like Osborne and the Green Goblin I was wondering if people would be okay if there was an alternate Spiderman world where there was no Osborne or Green Goblin?

In the MCU there didnt seem to be a Norman Osborne and that did pretty well.

So in a world with No Osborne would you be interested? Would you read it? And who would you want to take his place as Spidermans main big bad? I would figure Doc Ock would take that role. But it would be cool to see if there any outside the box ideas.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I would be fine if the Osborn's were removed from the lore. The Spot should be Spider-Man's Big Bad anyways now that we have seen a movie that displays his true potential.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I would be fine if the Osborn's were removed from the lore. The Spot should be Spider-Man's Big Bad anyways now that we have seen a movie that displays his true potential.
    The Spot should be not just Spiderman's Big Bad but a Marvel big bad. The man can go where he wants when he wants.

I would make him this urban legend. A thief and Assassin that no one has seen. No law enforcement has a picture of him. People just end up dead and stuff goes missing. He is on Shields most wanted list. Nick Fury knows who the Spot is and that he is real because the man was a goverment scientist working on ways to open portals.

Remember the 90s cartoon where there was a portal over New York that threatened to suck in the whole city? That is his power level and how it should be done in the movies.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The Spot should be not just Spiderman's Big Bad but a Marvel big bad. The man can go where he wants when he wants.
    I'd rather not, I'm sick of the rest of Marvel being a bunch of parasites and stealing from Spidey.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I would be perfectly fine without Osborn and feel that between Kingpin and Dr. Octopus they could fill any void he might leave.

Osborn did have his best movie with the MCU.

I don't think goblins are essential to good Spider-Man runs, and it's easy to go overboard, but I think it's been a good addition to the mythos.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Not from the past...but going forward I would be fine. Leave Harry dead and Norman 'sinless' and bring back another <cough>Bart Hamilton<cough> as the the Green Goblin.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Mighty Member

Green Goblin is the greatest Spider-Man villain of all time.

He should have stayed dead.

I even like some of the stories post clone saga with nuNorman, but I don't need him. It's ok for a villain's arc to just be done. They all suffer from villain decay. So the serious ones have a shelf life. If Norman goes away, while I hope it'll be a good going away, I'm totally fine with it.

Oh hell yeah. His time has come and gone.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Imean, essential to spider-man? yes. should he be constantly the one true big-bad... nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Oh hell yeah. His time has come and gone.
    Absolutely
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

You can't have a permanent status quo in which Norman knows Peter is Spider-man and is obsessed with destroying Peter's life. Peter can't defend his life against Norman without throwing away most of his life by e.g. making his identity public and moving in with the FF or Avengers. Apparently some fans would be happy for Peter to be a full-time superhero but I'm against it.

On the one hand, the comics lasted over twenty years with no Norman. On the other, there were at least four attempts to have someone step into Norman's shoes. He was the first Spider-man villain I ever saw in a cartoon, Spider-man and his Amazing Friends. As an aside, I think that's the origin of the idea that the Green Goblin was a Hyde personality to Norman's Jekyll, rather than Norman with his full memory.

I don't think you can dig Goblins out of the mythos. But I think they can be overexposed. I'm not regarding any upcoming plot in which Norman becomes a villain again with any enthusiasm. Norman trying to be good is apparently the one aspect of the current status quo that seems to be working.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

When they brought Norman back as the Clone Saga mastermind I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I was an idiot (and, like, 14).

There certainly could be a Goblinless adaptation, but there's always got to be a temptation to draw from such strong stories/themes. Even taking out Norman, there's so much depth to the best-friend-turned-enemy Harry idea.

It makes me think of Beware the Batman, an animated series that specifically avoided the usual villains (Joker in particular). It still worked and is even pretty good (though their Anarky was nothing like to comics), but you can't help but wonder when/how they would bring in the big names. It didn't feel wrong without them but it was a little less Batman.
    Last edited by exile001; 06-14-2023 at 02:13 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

As a fan of Norman, I'd personally have to say I feel he's more than served his purpose and whenever he comes back it just feels kinda awkward now. I feel very much the same of Green Goblin as I do Joker.

I get it, he's the big nemesis, the antithesis of the hero, etc. So every write wants to write him and Spidey fighting, get their take in on the iconic pair fighting. But just like Joker, it feels they've done everything possible with the character, twice over, and I'm kinda sick of him.

So I'd like him written out of the series for good. I know he'll never be gone forever, but even if we could just get an entire ten years without him being the big bad mastermind behind everything or secretly plotting with devils, it would be nice. I really feel they should have killed him off in the recent issue 26. Would have been a perfect send off for the character.

I would, but then again I always thought Octavius was really Spider-man's number one enemy.

I also think the Hobgoblin was a better executed version of the Goblin.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.