Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I also thought of mother righteous at the beginning but no it was akkaba and orchis again talking with genesis and all that came out of nowhere, mother was a more logical choice since she already controls ora serata but ewing did the worst choice yet.

I also hope that the arakki will end up taking back phobos and slaughtering orchis, I'm starting to get tired of mutants who don't react to their enemies and let themselves be attacked.
    Hoping that there was no new arakki genocide during this arc because normally this series is supposed to tell the new life of the arakki but still no development of their peoples...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    That's 1 thing I can agree on regarding Genesis.

Feilong would have been killed. Effective IMMEDIATELY.
    Yeah, pity is not necessary in the face of these enemies who want to destroy you.
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

Genesis was not impressed is really a very funny iconic line. Like Ewing is a really good at writing comedy in serious situations.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugen View Post
    I also hope that the arakki will end up taking back phobos and slaughtering orchis, I'm starting to get tired of mutants who don't react to their enemies and let themselves be attacked. Hoping that there was no new arakki genocide during this arc because normally this series is supposed to tell the new life of the arakki but still no development of their peoples...
    Oh, I would love for the Arakki to stand up to Genesis and smack her down for trying to come back and act all bossy, after giving up to the Amenthi demons and oppressing them as Annihilation for so many centuries. No that the sorts of Arakki who embraced her treachery and collaborated with it, like Isca and Tarn, are off the Great Ring, the Arakki seem much better positioned to tell her give-up-when-things-get-hard-ness to get bent.

She's all 'blah, blah survival of the fittest' but it's all projection, because *she* was the one who gave up. She's projecting her own failure on the people who trusted her to be strong, when she was instead weak, and they all know it. She won't be happy until they're all dead, because they know the truth, that she can't live up to her own big talk.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This was EPIC! it's amazing how effortlessly Ewing can switch between genres, from horror to straight up superheroes, from space opera to near-fantasy, the man's talents know no bounds.

I'm getting really worried with Ewing having been announced for Avengers Inc., plus Venom and Thor, that he might drop X-Men Red after Fall of X so he doesn't have too much on his plate. It would be such a shame to lose him.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    This was EPIC! it's amazing how effortlessly Ewing can switch between genres, from horror to straight up superheroes, from space opera to near-fantasy, the man's talents know no bounds.
    Putting out stories weekly for 2000AD remains the best crucible for young writers in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    best part of an otherwise understated prologue issue.

idk if Jon being super-old but young physically works for me, when being a greenhorn is such a large part of the character's appeal
    I thought the same thing. His hundred years with Storm was supposed to be SOOOOO impactful but turns out he was worshipping someone else for way longer.

Wait I was thinking akabba and storm meeting will be very random. But no it wint be. Because Ororo has met Ozymandias before the guy that taught apocalypse and restarted Clan Akabba. She met him when she was a pick pocket in Cairo during one of her missions for her boss/father figure.
    Screenshot_20230615-003458_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615-003704_Chrome.jpg

Now ozymandiaz was talking about the 12 storyline. But given how ororo's ancestry is also from ancient egypt wont be far fetched that props bloodline and akabba have ancient beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm getting really worried with Ewing having been announced for Avengers Inc., plus Venom and Thor, that he might drop X-Men Red after Fall of X so he doesn't have too much on his plate. It would be such a shame to lose him.
    It really would be. Just my opinion, but currently Ewing and Gillen are the only X-writers I truly look forward to each month. If Ewing were to leave, I'd consider that a significant loss to the line as a whole. Nothing against Duggan personally, but I find his writing and plots very by the numbers. Not bad, but not great either. Hickman's Adjectiveless felt absolutely necessary, whereas Duggan's I've skipped for whole arcs and not felt like I missed anything. As for Percy, well, the less said the better.

Regarding this issue: I liked it. A bit more subdued than I was expecting, but still good. I can never get enough Arakko and Okkara stories, so I'm fully onboard with the Genesis arc. I'm guessing we'll find out how Death came to be with his family again in Heralds of Apocalypse. Speaking of Big A, I really can't wait until he makes an appearance. I'm really curious about where he is and how things went down with Genesis still getting corrupted by Annihilation, albeit more subtly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugen View Post
    I also thought of mother righteous at the beginning but no it was akkaba and orchis again talking with genesis and all that came out of nowhere, mother was a more logical choice since she already controls ora serata but ewing did the worst choice yet.

I also hope that the arakki will end up taking back phobos and slaughtering orchis, I'm starting to get tired of mutants who don't react to their enemies and let themselves be attacked.
    Hoping that there was no new arakki genocide during this arc because normally this series is supposed to tell the new life of the arakki but still no development of their peoples...
    Not going to lie. I definitely thought of mother righteousness just because well she's been oversaturated throughout all the titles. But I'm actually kind of happy that Ewing didn't go with the obvious choice but still went with a logical one. Smart of Orchis to use clan Akkaba to be the ones to pass along the information to Genesis, considering Apocalypse was the one who first created the clan in the first place. I got to say orcas has managed to successfully box the mutants in a corner. No wonder they've been spending the last several issues in each book gloating that mutants have "already lost" they're literally going to be dying by a death of a thousand cuts and they don't even know it yet.

Astonishing Member

Just to clarify, CLAN Akkaba and COVEN Akkaba are two VERY different organizations with very different aims....and allegiances.

Clan Akkaba are the descendants of Apocalypse, who are loyal to him and have long advanced his various agendas.

COVEN Akkaba are human magic-users descended from the tribe who cast Apocalypse OUT after his birth. They do not have any allegiance to Apocalypse or any of his family whatsoever. In fact they're the exact opposite.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 06-14-2023 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Camping and fishing buddies.
    With benefits
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Death better not raise a hand to his future wife Storm. But like most people I'm shocked Death isn't with the vampires.

Also I really enjoyed the show case of Pestilences powers that is a very deadly power. I wonder if she can control them have they are been diseased or they are just mindless crazy.

This issue was… good. I’ll give it 3.5/5.0. That may be generous.

I’m almost always a defender of 1) issues heavy in characterization, and 2) use of the data pages. But in this issue, I felt like things were taken too far.

I know that this is just the prologue, but we have the start of some great fight scenes, and then the jus sort of… end. Albeit with the implication that there was/would be more. And the back to back data pages, while in and of themselves were amusing, they left me wholly unsatisfied. Telling me she was dissatisfied whereas the comic book medium is designed to show me things left me, well, dissatisfied.

Then to top it off, the alliance with Orchis struck as unrealistic for reasons others stated. I’m not looking for Mother Righteous on that one page because as much as I love her, it would just be too much. But this orchid thing didn’t really work for me either. Sure, Orchis needs to be shown more as a legitimate threat, but this isn’t the route to take in my opinion. They’ve got to prove themselves on their own.

So after typing all this, I’ve got to lower my score to 3/5. Issue was good. I was never bored. Characters were written well (though the panels with Beto and Nova were ruined the tone of that scene a bit). But ultimately there are too many flaws here to say this was a great book. Ewing is generally strong and I still have high hopes for this arc, but unlike others here, I just don’t think he’s consistently great like, say, thebImmortal book is.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Just to clarify, CLAN Akkaba and COVEN Akkaba are two VERY different organizations with very different aims....and allegiances.

Clan Akkaba are the descendants of Apocalypse, who are loyal to him and have long advanced his various agendas.

COVEN Akkaba are human magic-users descended from the tribe who cast Apocalypse OUT after his birth. They do not have any allegiance to Apocalypse or any of his family whatsoever. In fact they're the exact opposite.
    Oooh that's even more interesting. I thought that clan was wiped out. But I guess some survived. Also mo wonder they hate mutants, so genesis thinks they are serving her as they are her husbands descendants but they also have plans to double cross her... Duhhh they work for orchis but still. That really puts things into perspective about how the conflict could potentially play out.