Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Jeff Robinov who had predicted the billion-dollar box left WB weeks after the premier of MOS. The reason is not clear but by the second weekend MOS was noticeably underperforming and it was clear MOS would fall far short of a billion.

However, on its second weekend, Man of Steel's box office fell almost 65%–68% if the Thursday night gross is included—putting it in third place, behind Monsters University and World War Z. Box Office Mojo called it an "abnormally large drop," close to the second-weekend decline for Green Lantern.

Reviews were mixed and Cavill was seen as stiff and lacking charisma. Cavill got the same middling reviews in BvS while Affleck and especially Gadot got great reviews though the critics generally didn't like the film. Some say that Cavill is the Superman of our generation but that does not appear to be so among the GA. It was IMO a PR thing by the Cavill camp that The Rock picked up on at the time of Black Adam.

I recall a piece saying Affleck was brought in as WB had doubts that Superman/Cavill could carry a film. The Affleck thing was announced at ComiCon about a month after MOS came out. Then, months after that word that WW would be in the film. And later on, the rest of the JL in cameos. That was the studio interfering to do an Avengers like event and make boatloads of money as Campea mentions. Gee, this sounds familiar doesn't it. I believe WB was put off of Cavill by MOS and their belief was confirmed by BvS which put them off of Affleck as well. And then it all collapsed.
    Robinov was already pushed out before MoS premiered and the reason was actually made clear: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...warner-572663/

BvS and JL were planned and being in development before MoS came out. Every trades reported about JL and the shared universe being the next step after MoS if the movie was going to be successful. MoS making 1B wouldn't have changed anything, WB would've considered it a success and go ahead with BvS and JL as planned. The DCEU exists because MoS, and not in spite of it.

From Jun 6, 2013:

If “Man of Steel,” starring Henry Cavill, becomes a blockbuster, it would move the Burbank studio one giant leap closer to preparing the ground for its longplanned all-star superhero pic “Justice League,” which could match the box office prowess of “Marvel’s The Avengers.” That 2012 Disney release, featuring Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk and Thor, amassed $1.5 billion worldwide.

Warner could finally fully exploit its DC Comics library beyond Batman and Superman, and bring to the screen such characters as Aquaman, the Flash, Wonder Woman and another Green Lantern — whose costly 2011 predecessor flopped.

Expectations are that Warner will release a “Justice League” film within the next four years, with the timing dependent on whether a second “Man of Steel” would go first.

https://variety.com/2013/film/news/w...an-1200493334/
    June 10, 2013:

But I’ve learned it’s official: Warner Bros Pictures is fast-tracking the Superman reboot sequel with its successful twosome already in place: Zack Snyder reprising as director and David S. Goyer repeating as screenwriter. Goyer’s deal is part of a huge 3-picture deal he signed at Warner Bros for Man Of Steel, the sequel, and Justice League with Superman.

https://deadline.com/2013/06/man-of-...-goyer-517621/
    Quoting myself and Oliva again from earlier on this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    BvS' existence predate MoS' release (it was likely a response to 2012's Avengers' success and not MoS' BO performance).

At least if we have to believe people who worked on the films over online chatters:

Okay school is in session... Back in April 2013 (before MoS released in June) I was tasked with doing the Superman 75 short. I met with Zack who was the exec producer on it and he showed me storyboards of BvS with Batman already in it. AND it was a Batman from DKR.

I know this as fact because I was there and I remember it very clearly because I was sad that I may not get the opportunity to work on a film that used Miller’s DKR as an influence. Because well you know, I kinda did a little film that did just that.

So how could it be revisionist history if the plan for the following films were already planned BEFORE the release the MoS? Now was there a plan to do a sequel when Goyer and Nolan wrote it? I don’t know for sure but you can bet your ass that prior to June there was a plan
    https://twitter.com/jayoliva1/status/987930376965210113
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 01-26-2024 at 12:33 PM.

Maybe Oliva's recall of the BvS storyboards in April 2013 is as accurate as Lukic and Krieg's recall how they always planned a 10-movie arc.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Maybe Oliva's recall of the BvS storyboards in April 2013 is as accurate as Lukic and Krieg's recall how they always planned a 10-movie arc.
    lol nah. They can't all have bad memory.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    As per Cavill he said in a GQ article at the time that he was optioned for 3 films beyond MOS. Mos2 and MOS3 but did not elaborate on what the other film would be - JL likely.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 01-26-2024 at 04:13 PM.