Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Oh, I remember that whole thing. MoS didn't bring in a really staggering number, so that became license for the suggestion that it didn't do well.

The franchise always deals with this catch 22 of not being as big as Batman or Spider-Man, but then also being blamed for not capturing attention the same way the shiny new characters do, like Iron Man did for a total of one solo movie.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

"Barely broke even" can mean a lot of things, but the MoSs profit was $46 million. Certainly it came up way short of what WB wanted (because they always use the greedy algorithm), but let's call a spade a spade.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Adjusted to inflation, MoS would probably be between $850m and $900m at the BO. Nowadays, Zaslav would cut his arm for a DC movie making such money.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Adjusted to inflation, MoS would probably be between $850m and $900m at the BO. Nowadays, Zaslav would cut his arm for a DC movie making such money.
    Adjust that bidget as well

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Adjust that bidget as well
    $290m.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    "Barely broke even" can mean a lot of things, but the MoSs profit was $46 million. Certainly it came up way short of what WB wanted (because they always use the greedy algorithm), but let's call a spade a spade.
    It's meant in the context of ROI (return on investment). MOS had the lowest return of WW, Shazam, SS as those films cost much less to make/market. Investors fund these films - not Discovery/WB - and investors want to maximize their ROI. No different than you or I when we invest. WW was set-to get a 3rd film as was Shazam and likely Aquaman. Things changed with the takeover and the shakeups in the C suite but think of that - there might have been trilogies of WW and Shazam and presumably Aquaman and still no MOS2.

As to MOS2 my guess is that Zaslav did not intend to move forward with it despite all the rumors. He had quietly brought in Gunn to write a script/reboot Superman. BA's poor performance despite a Cavill cameo was a convenient excuse to officially kill the MOS franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    It's meant in the context of ROI (return on investment). MOS had the lowest return of WW, Shazam, SS as those films cost much less to make/market. Investors fund these films - not Discovery/WB - and investors want to maximize their ROI. No different than you or I when we invest. WW was set-to get a 3rd film as was Shazam and likely Aquaman. Things changed with the takeover and the shakeups in the C suite but think of that - there might have been trilogies of WW and Shazam and presumably Aquaman and still no MOS2.

As to MOS2 my guess is that Zaslav did not intend to move forward with it despite all the rumors. He had quietly brought in Gunn to write a script/reboot Superman. BA's poor performance despite a Cavill cameo was a convenient excuse to officially kill the MOS franchise.
    I get that you don't like MoS. I loathe BvS. It's in my top three of most hated movies and I love making fun of how badly it tanked after opening weekend, but I can't deny that it still got something like a 35% ROI. MoS was closer to 15-20%, and I get that's an unextraordinary number when you look at the range of values for blockbusters, but it's still 15%-20%, which IMO is measurably more than "break even." If you're going to bring us common folk into the discussion, I wouldn't argue against 15% ROI for something expensive. And it sure as heck is better than the slate of 2023 movies.

Since I want to take another cheap shot at BvS,

BvS.jpg

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Still remains my all time favorite movie and favorite Superman version, but only as in vacuum of Man of Steel. BvS and ZSJL were sabotaged Superman solo sequels because WB/DC doesn't think Superman can sell on his own. Even though I like both of those movies, Man of Steel is the one I love.

Spectacular visuals, outstanding OST, amazing casting choices, incredible opening sequence, probably best Jor-El Superman ever had, anime-like battles and Lois is immediately caught onto the secret.

And of course best Superman scene is in Man of Steel:

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I get that you don't like MoS. I loathe BvS. It's in my top three of most hated movies and I love making fun of how badly it tanked after opening weekend, but I can't deny that it still got something like a 35% ROI. MoS was closer to 15-20%, and I get that's an unextraordinary number when you look at the range of values for blockbusters, but it's still 15%-20%, which IMO is measurably more than "break even." If you're going to bring us common folk into the discussion, I wouldn't argue against 15% ROI for something expensive. And it sure as heck is better than the slate of 2023 movies.

Since I want to take another cheap shot at BvS,

BvS.jpg
    I don't like BvS either. It's only saving grace are the two well-choreographed fight scenes. Far better than the slugfest they did in MOS. Only complaint is the darkness of the scenes. When I watch on DVD I have to tweak the lighting some and it makes the scenes even better. Also. Supes basically got a whooping throughout the Batman/Superman fight which I don't like. I put my MOS DVD into the donation bin at the store. I've kept the BvS DVD because of those fight scenes and being able to rewatch them every now and again.

Given that Batman (along with Spiderman) are the most popular/lucrative comic book characters at this time and that Superman started it all and that fans had been waiting for some kind of Bats/Supes team-up film forever the ROI is not surprising. This should have done way north of a billion and if it had had normal drop-offs it may have. I haven't seen that number projected out. The same with MOS - that first weekend they were projecting 800 million plus for its run (IIRC) but that was based on a normal audience drop-off. MOS had a significantly larger than normal drop-off. But release weekend the projections looked great. I recall hearing a movie analyst predict that an MOS2 and MOS3 would be fast tracked by the studio based on the initial numbers. MOS2 was indeed planned to come out in 2015.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-10-2023 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Oh, I remember that whole thing. MoS didn't bring in a really staggering number, so that became license for the suggestion that it didn't do well.

The franchise always deals with this catch 22 of not being as big as Batman or Spider-Man, but then also being blamed for not capturing attention the same way the shiny new characters do, like Iron Man did for a total of one solo movie.
    And ironically, we're seeing the MCU get hit with this stupid narrative because not every movie that has come out since Endgame is pulling in over a billion dollars. When something is an indisputable success, people will either deny it or come up with some silly conspiracy for why it made money that had nothing to do with people actually liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    I don't like BvS either. It's only saving grace are the two well-choreographed fight scenes. Far better than the slugfest they did in MOS. Only complaint is the darkness of the scenes. When I watch on DVD I have to tweak the lighting some and it makes the scenes even better. Also. Supes basically got a whooping throughout the Batman/Superman fight which I don't like. I put my MOS DVD into the donation bin at the store. I've kept the BvS DVD because of those fight scenes and being able to rewatch them every now and again.

Given that Batman (along with Spiderman) are the most popular/lucrative comic book characters at this time and that Superman started it all and that fans had been waiting for some kind of Bats/Supes team-up film forever the ROI is not surprising. This should have done way north of a billion and if it had had normal drop-offs it may have. I haven't seen that number projected out. The same with MOS - that first weekend they were projecting 800 million plus for its run (IIRC) but that was based on a normal audience drop-off. MOS had a significantly larger than normal drop-off. But release weekend the projections looked great. I recall hearing a movie analyst predict that an MOS2 and MOS3 would be fast tracked by the studio based on the initial numbers. MOS2 was indeed planned to come out in 2015.
    He lost because he didn't want to actually fight. And it still wasn't an easy victory for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And ironically, we're seeing the MCU get hit with this stupid narrative because not every movie that has come out since Endgame is pulling in over a billion dollars. When something is an indisputable success, people will either deny it or come up with some silly conspiracy for why it made money that had nothing to do with people actually liking it.
    There is too much content being put out. Especially by Marvel. The golden age of superhero films may be ending as audience preferences change and, maybe, superhero fatigue kicks in. WB is putting out 4 superhero films this year, but that pace can't continue. Indeed, it appears the Gunnverse will do 2 films/year. That begs the question as to what the DCU will look like in a period of less output. The rest of Gunn's chapter 1 will answer that. Will it feature mostly B and C level characters which seems to be his preference? Will there be any placeholder spots held open to allow for a potential sequel to one of the earlier films that does well?

If Gunn goes with an array of projects featuring different characters, the old model of doing trilogies for key characters may be over. But for Batman whose IP is in a league of its own. Who knows the details of Coroenswet's contract or the other contracts. Cavill was signed for 4 films. 2 being sequels to MOS with MOS2 originally set to debut in 2015. But, if the rest of chapter 1 does not allow for sequels, then Gunn's plan may be one and done with the character's getting a solo film then being used in supporting roles in other character's film.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-11-2023 at 09:09 AM.

Spectacular Member

I have never seen Man of Steel, but I read a synopsis online, and didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. It seemed pretty good, a nicely-done Imaginary Story. I liked Clark's journey to journalist and superhero and didn't mind Lois's knowledge of his secret identity. Worst I could say, as I explained to my non-Superfan friend who watched it and wanted to know why people hated it, was the mismatch of Superman's thirties characterization and a silver age villain.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
    I have never seen Man of Steel, but I read a synopsis online, and didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. It seemed pretty good, a nicely-done Imaginary Story. I liked Clark's journey to journalist and superhero and didn't mind Lois's knowledge of his secret identity. Worst I could say, as I explained to my non-Superfan friend who watched it and wanted to know why people hated it, was the mismatch of Superman's thirties characterization and a silver age villain.
    Lol... go watch it Filbert. To call Zod a silver age villain as presented is like explaining how to find something in your garage to someone while it's pitch black
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I posted something way earlier in this thread and kinda lost track so not sure if this will be a repeat or not but one thing I really did like was the denouement scene. Perry introduces Clark to various DP staff, Lois says with a smile, “welcome to the planet,” to which Clark replies, “glad to be here Lois.” End.

Thought that was a damn fine way to end the thing, other dislikes notwithstanding.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog