Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Grant Morrison/Jonathan Hickman X-Men Interview

https://youtu.be/uWZuAQdF_fg

Enjoy, my fellow mutants!
    Mutant and Proud!

I listened to this already. Two great X-Minds.

Big takes for me...

1) Morrison was going to use Siryn had he stayed on the title longer.

2) Hickman had no plans for Moira to be evil.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post

Big takes for me...

This was fascinating. Nice to see that Morrison's relationship with Marvel has improved, they seemed to really be enjoying the interview. Would love a "New X-Men Forever" written by Morrison.

As someone who loved NXM I would have really enjoyed to see what Morrison's take on Siryn would entail. Their love for the characters really shone through here.

Hickman was very reserved but I suppose he is only recently out of his relationship with Marvel, so he may still be a bit bruised.

Big takes for me...

No surprise there. With the way Moira was butchered there is no way that it was something Hickman came up with. That's purely on Percy/Editorial.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    No surprise there. With the way Moira was butchered there is no way that it was something Hickman came up with. That's purely on Percy/Editorial.
    Sounds like she was supposed to be gray/morally ambiguous in a manner similar to Xavier, but things went off the rails.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Sounds like she was supposed to be gray/morally ambiguous in a manner similar to Xavier, but things went off the rails.
    It's a shame really. Because now she got turned into some mustache twirling villain and they really have no idea what to do with her or what her purpose is supposed to be now.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Yeah in one of her lives she already tried to wipe up mutants, only deciding to save them because she feared Destiny.
    Her finding a loophole in Destiny's death making her try her old methods again is not THAT out of Moira X's character.
    But still annoying.
    (I loved her interaction with Kurt in A.X.E. though. She was mainly rude, more than mustache-twirling. More like classic Moira)

Big takes for me...

Morrison would probably have overplayed Siryn's drinking problems, tbh XD
    But it's interesting they actually planned to have the title longer. I thought their run was awtually completely planned out.

Astonishing Member

I’m not a fan of nuMoira to begin with (I’m generally not a fan of massive “everything you know was wrong” retcons to an entire franchises history), the fact she went through a second drastic shift doesn’t help. Also I question the notion that Inferno Moira matches up with HoX/PoX Moira. Did they ever answer how Krakoa helps her with her eliminate mutant genome plan? I feel like they did but I must have forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I’m not a fan of nuMoira to begin with (I’m generally not a fan of massive “everything you know was wrong” retcons to an entire franchises history), the fact she went through a second drastic shift doesn’t help. Also I question the notion that Inferno Moira matches up with HoX/PoX Moira. Did they ever answer how Krakoa helps her with her eliminate mutant genome plan? I feel like they did but I must have forgotten.
    I think it was explained with omega sentinel/nimrod scene.

So Moira and Krakoa originally succeed and mutants won - life 10A
    But omega sentinel was sent back in time to activate nimrod much earlier - life 10B -> current timeline
    So Moira’s original plan wasn’t to eliminate mutant genome. Originally she needed krakoa - so mutants being united - to stop orchis and nimrod. “The cure” was her lifeline. When she found out about nimrod being activated too early and Destiny being resurrected she lost any hope for mutants to survive. Also remember she believed it was her last life so at that point she was desperate to survive. And if they can’t survive as mutants she needs to find a way to survive even when it means to become part of what/who mutants hate/are scared of

Something I noticed in this interview, Morrison was very open and talkative about his X-men run while Hickman clearly was not much into it.

Seems like he's departure was not very friendly.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Something I noticed in this interview, Morrison was very open and talkative about his X-men run while Hickman clearly was not much into it.

There's also the matter that Hickman still works at Marvel and probably can't say what he thinks about some people working there

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

If only they stayed....

Best writers they should keep as writing crew all X-books;

Morrison, Hickman, Kyle & Yost, Mike Carey, Kieron Gillen and DnA
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 06-15-2023 at 08:01 AM.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Have a listen to Hickman's interview on Cerebrocast from a few weeks ago. It's great and it's the most comfortable I've ever heard him be since he doesn't like interviews.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Amazing Member

If you listen to his very recent interview for the Cerebro podcast, it's pretty evident there's no ill will or anything. But he's not comfortable talking about the current run because he's very aware of how it could affect the current writers and their plans. So he's very careful on what he says and he doesn't. Hickman is very close with most of the X-line (even guys most of us think fucked up royally, like Percy) and someone like Gillen, that are commanding the line right now, is a writer Hickman wanted to work with since day 1.