Default Kratos vs. Ganondorf (TOTK spoilers potentially)

They fight in an ancient medieval fortress and it's surrounding village. This is Ragnarok Kratos.

1: The fight is with TOTK Demon King Ganondorf

2: Twilight Princess Ganondorf instead

Bonus: Any other version of G Dorf you'd like
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

What feats does Gannondorf get in TOTK? And are any of them really useable by Rumbles standards?

In Ragnarok Kratos trades blows with Thor, who is strong enough to bonk around the colossal Midgard Serpent (and the force of his blow sends it backwards in time, not sure how to quantify that). And the blades of chaos have a long history of slicing up gods that I would put at least on the same general level as most versions of Gannondorf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    What feats does Gannondorf get in TOTK? And are any of them really useable by Rumbles standards?

In Ragnarok Kratos trades blows with Thor, who is strong enough to bonk around the colossal Midgard Serpent (and the force of his blow sends it backwards in time, not sure how to quantify that). And the blades of chaos have a long history of slicing up gods that I would put at least on the same general level as most versions of Gannondorf.
    Upon his revival, Ganondorf effortlessly smashes the Master Sword into tiny pieces with a surge of dark energy despite the sword being more than enough to deal with the Calamity only a half dozen years prior. He also one shots Link into a state of near death, including the destruction of his right arm with the same attack. He then immediately proceeds to send a new surge of power into the base of Hyrule castle, causing the foundations of the thing to smash apart and lift it high into the sky. It's later revealed that this same action created multiple giant chasms to form across the land in an event dubbed "the upheaval".

All of these feats were accomplished in a mummified state moments after his revival.

He also has some speed feats for the first time ever. He is shown both in cutscene and in game play to swat arrows out of the air and match Link's "bullet timing" flurry rush attacks.

For scaled power, he is shown to outclass the combined might of Rauru and 5 other secret stone empowered Sages in a 6v1 battle. This is important because in a flashback, we see that Rauru can one shot a dozen minibosses with a single blast when channeling the energy of only two stone empowered comrades at his side. Ganondorf can also turn the moon red and summon a small army of monsters with a gesture.

I urge you to watch his revival on YouTube.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Oh my dear. Gannondorf has ACTUAL feats now!?

Nice. Will look into it later.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Well we'd have to establish if Kratos can actually like, be around Ganon at all. I'm assuming probably, but Gloom is incredibly toxic on touch, and the fact that there's any point in his battle where there isn't a hundred miles of solid gloom directly centred on Ganon is probably pure PIS, given how much of the stuff he can just like, emanate (and the fact that his phantoms literally do this in small scale). Gloom also pretty specifically corrodes other powers (it's your instant-loss-of-previous-game's-abilities event) and basically everything else, including protections against Gloom (see the final battle with Ganon gradually knocking out your heart tanks despite you having a mountain of divine light from Rauru. A feature of the plot is that almost every single manufactured weapon in Hyrule has been heavily degraded by the initial event. He's fast and skilled enough to consistently get the better of a genuine speedster Link (who has more corroborating feats in the prequel) - in fact using the same slomo counterattack mechanics Link does. While weakened, he tossed out enough power to do what amounted to a magnitude 8-9 earthquake over the whole of Hyrule, which we directly saw as a result of him just blasting Gloom at the base of Hyrule castle. This event also had Gloom ripping open huge chasms everywhere, like a massive hole directly down the centre of Death Mountain.

Notably, the game's monsters are manifestations of his power, and the fight with him involves a pretty big army of them spawning, complete with all the temple bosses. This should be plenty applicable in the arena, since he spawns them himself.

So basically I think he's fast enough and has enough weird stuff going on to keep some distance between himself and Kratos and basically just generate and do Gloom things. If that's enough to put Kratos down, he should be good. If it's not, and if Kratos can actually manage to start hitting him (which like, he probably can, given time), then Kratos can win. While Ganon is clearly very skilled and quick, Kratos is definitely hitting harder than anything in TotK (though Link can smash boulders, so it's not like Ganon is normal human durability either), so he doesn't want to actually take hits. It's a marathon though, because Ganon's entire thing (if he can't just instantly ruin Kratos with a shitload of Gloom) is going to be wearing Kratos' fundamentals down while Kratos has to deal with loads of monsters.

effortlessly smashes the Master Sword
    Dunno if I'd call it "effortless." It's hard to say exactly how hard he was trying since he was still an unexpressive corpse there, but he gave Link (and the sword) a very hard direct dose of Gloom.

Edit: There's always swallowing his Jolly Rancher too, but I'd honestly give Kratos better odds against dragon Ganon than regular Ganon, just on Dragon Ganon's feats mostly being "setpiece boss that sits there while you hit his weakpoints" despite the fact that he *should* have unprecedented power in that form.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 06-15-2023 at 07:50 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Well we'd have to establish if Kratos can actually like, be around Ganon at all. I'm assuming probably, but Gloom is incredibly toxic on touch, and the fact that there's any point in his battle where there isn't a hundred miles of solid gloom directly centred on Ganon is probably pure PIS, given how much of the stuff he can just like, emanate (and the fact that his phantoms literally do this in small scale). Gloom also pretty specifically corrodes other powers (it's your instant-loss-of-previous-game's-abilities event) and basically everything else, including protections against Gloom (see the final battle with Ganon gradually knocking out your heart tanks despite you having a mountain of divine light from Rauru. A feature of the plot is that almost every single manufactured weapon in Hyrule has been heavily degraded by the initial event. He's fast and skilled enough to consistently get the better of a genuine speedster Link (who has more corroborating feats in the prequel) - in fact using the same slomo counterattack mechanics Link does. While weakened, he tossed out enough power to do what amounted to a magnitude 8-9 earthquake over the whole of Hyrule, which we directly saw as a result of him just blasting Gloom at the base of Hyrule castle. This event also had Gloom ripping open huge chasms everywhere, like a massive hole directly down the centre of Death Mountain.

Notably, the game's monsters are manifestations of his power, and the fight with him involves a pretty big army of them spawning, complete with all the temple bosses. This should be plenty applicable in the arena, since he spawns them himself.

So basically I think he's fast enough and has enough weird stuff going on to keep some distance between himself and Kratos and basically just generate and do Gloom things. If that's enough to put Kratos down, he should be good. If it's not, and if Kratos can actually manage to start hitting him (which like, he probably can, given time), then Kratos can win. While Ganon is clearly very skilled and quick, Kratos is definitely hitting harder than anything in TotK (though Link can smash boulders, so it's not like Ganon is normal human durability either), so he doesn't want to actually take hits. It's a marathon though, because Ganon's entire thing (if he can't just instantly ruin Kratos with a shitload of Gloom) is going to be wearing Kratos' fundamentals down while Kratos has to deal with loads of monsters.

Dunno if I'd call it "effortless." It's hard to say exactly how hard he was trying since he was still an unexpressive corpse there, but he gave Link (and the sword) a very hard direct dose of Gloom.

Edit: There's always swallowing his Jolly Rancher too, but I'd honestly give Kratos better odds against dragon Ganon than regular Ganon, just on Dragon Ganon's feats mostly being "setpiece boss that sits there while you hit his weakpoints" despite the fact that he *should* have unprecedented power in that form.
    I don't know if this is relevant in any way, but Gloom is said to be a more potent form of Malice than what was seen in BOTW.