Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Steve Orlando interview with Astonishing Iceman Unlettered Preview Pages

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

How did this particular project come to be? Obviously, you have experience with the "X-Men" line of books ...

Do I have experience in the X-Men office? I guess I do. When we were talking about who could get a spotlight in "Fall of X," it was — as with many things in comics and the big two and the way publishing works — a confluence of events. We're looking to do some more solo titles, and you've also seen that there's going to be a Jean Grey solo title. The last time there was an Iceman book, I wasn't working at Marvel, and I love that book that Sina [Grace] did. That being said, our perspectives are very different as creators. It seemed like a great opportunity to explore the character, especially because as we dance around what's going to be happening in "Fall of X," it makes Iceman even more in my wheelhouse.

That's not to say there's some big change coming to his core. He's still Iceman, but the situation around him allows him to be even more aggressive and even more swashbuckling and dashing and all the types of things that I tend to write with my romantic superheroes and heartbreaking superheroes. It was a combination of this character had come free for a solo, and at the same time, he's also going to be positioned with the mutant status quo in "Fall of X" to be the type of action book that I write, where he's very much the heartbreaking outlaw doing the right thing against the will of all else.

Where does Iceman find himself in this book post-"Hellfire Gala"?

All of mutant-kind is forced to abandon at least the lifestyle and the structure that they've known before. As to how that happens, you got to read the "Hellfire Gala." I'm dancing right up against it. Bobby's not alone, and mutant-kind as a whole has to reinvent itself. Luckily, what is mutation but change? We're all here to do it. So yes, he does find himself disconnected from the life he knew before. The nice thing about Bobby is that he has — whether he knows it or not — many families, and he has many circles.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Hmm. Our heroes are presumably scattered and in hiding. What happens to the children and families who emigrated to Krakoa, though? Admittedly it's at least intriguing to see where they all end up, situationally.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

You know what? I dig the idea of an ice palace being Bobby's headquarters.

A bit on the nose, but I love the playful vibes of it as a reference to Superman and Elsa (Frozen).

Astonishing Member

Plus he's been making ice castles to self-soothe for quite a long time

UXM319-2.jpg

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

I'm down for this.

I too like the Ice palace. LOL this Gives me Elsa Vibes.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Whoops almost forgot to post the cover and solicit for issue #2. That is a great cover!

HOME IS WHERE THE HEARTBREAK IS!

The bait is set for BOBBY DRAKE as the ELEMENTS OF DOOM target his hometown! Terrorizing the town that raised ICEMAN — but to what end? They say you can't go home again, but if Iceman can't save the day, he might not have a home to return to!

Very excited for this series. Orlando's Midnighter was a favorite title of the past decade.

My only minor Debbie Downer complaint is the fact Romeo is back. I really preferred him with Christian and want to erase the era of AvX to HoX mostly (with a few spin off title exceptions).

That said, Romeo could develop into a great character as well. Just my Frost biased.
    Last edited by NewMutant; 06-15-2023 at 09:16 AM.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Hmm. Our heroes are presumably scattered and in hiding. What happens to the children and families who emigrated to Krakoa, though? Admittedly it's at least intriguing to see where they all end up, situationally.
    It's all very intriguing and I have to wonder if Krakoa gets occupied or completely cut off from the rest of the world with the hero mutants scattered around.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Very excited for this series. Orlando's Midnighter was a favorite title of the past decade.

My only minor Debbie Downer complaint is the fact Romeo is back. I really preferred him with Christian and want to erase the era of AvX to HoX mostly (with a few spin off title exceptions).
    I don't know why they keep trying to make Romeo happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Plus he's been making ice castles to self-soothe for quite a long time
    True! Forget how much of a architect he'd been in the 90s.

He's definitely back for the gala but will he survive the gala? Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    He's definitely back for the gala but will he survive the gala? Hmmm.
    I'd imagine so with character sketches for the AI series. hahah.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I'd imagine so with character sketches for the AI series. hahah.
    I think that's his gala outfit unless he'll be wearing it afterwards too which is possible.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Very pretty art. Excited for this, it should hopefully be right up Orlando's alley.