View Poll Results: How did you like the Flash?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing! Can't wait to see it again!

13 18.31%
  • Enjoyable, a solid watch, I'd recommend it

24 33.80%
  • Watchable but a mixed bag, a little disappointing

22 30.99%
  • Bad, it didn't work for me. Would not recommend.

6 8.45%
  • An abomination, atrocious, an insult. Worst. Movie. Ever.

6 8.45%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default How did YOU like "The Flash"? Vote! (SPOILERS)

Vote!
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 06-16-2023 at 09:03 AM.

Walking out of theater right now...I liked it.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

It was ok. Keaton was the best part. I would suggest people wait until it is on Max and save the cash.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Not a masterpiece, but a very enjoyable watch and love letter to DC since the opening with all the company's past logos.

The film is more goofy and comedic than the trailer make it looks to be, but it does balance well the comedy with more serious moments. Comparing it to other DC projects, it's like David F. Sandberg, Zack Snyder and Tim Burton had a baby together.

Minor complains: Gunn's new ending and the fake looking CGI in the speedforce.

The final shot before the credit titles is very bad, imo. Whoever came up with the idea should find a new job. Superhero movies use to have iconic last shots not cringe meme material.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-16-2023 at 07:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It was sold to us as the greatest superhero movie ever.

It was ok.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say it's a particularly good movie. If nothing else it absolutely sold me that DC needs a complete reboot. Lol.

Certainly after the mid-point its a mess and making it largely a comedy sure was a choice. It's so weird as it's aggressively stupid, like an 90's Pauly Shaw movie, but anything that needs thinking about is actually pretty well worked out and the heart is there for the emotional scenes.

I loved Keaton and Sasha Calle, and Michael Shannon really brought it as Zod. I loved the other cameos especially Superman. No, not that one. The REAL Superman. I almost fell out of my seat laughing!

Speaking of cameos, I'm really surprised Grant Gustin didn't get a chance to return the favour from CW's Crisis.

I guess when Gunn reboots that gives DC an excuse to take a third stab at Flashpoint, somehow the de facto Flash story, as they've utterly botched it twice already.

I really liked the effect for time travel being like an amphitheater made of tiered past events. However, after explaining timelines are like spaghetti, why were the other timelines depicted as glowing Xmas tree baubles? That looked awful.

I'm hoping this is the last we see if Ezra.
    Last edited by exile001; 06-16-2023 at 08:00 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I guess when Gunn reboots that gives DC an excuse to take a third stab at Flashpoint, somehow the de facto Flash story, as they've utterly botched it twice already.
    They could just ignore it and have a Flash movie that focuses exclusively on the Flash mythos!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Not a masterpiece, but a very enjoyable watch and love letter to DC since the opening with all the company's past logos.

The film is more goofy and comedic than the trailer make it looks to be, but it does balance well the comedy with more serious moments. Comparing it to other DC projects, it's like David F. Sandberg, Zack Snyder and Tim Burton had a baby together.

Minor complains: Gunn's new ending and the fake looking CGI in the speedforce.

The final shot before the credit titles is very bad, imo. Whoever came up with the idea should find a new job. Superhero movies use to have iconic last shots not cringe meme material.
    lol the last shot was my favorite part of the movie. It was funny.

Wondering why they put Teddy Sears as a cameo. Did the writer/director not know he played ZOOM and not Jay? Or is he saying in some universe he is Jay?

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Wondering why they put Teddy Sears as a cameo. Did the writer/director not know he played ZOOM and not Jay? Or is he saying in some universe he is Jay?
    The black and white Jay Garrick is supposed to be The Flash of George Reeves' Superman universe. It's not Zoom or fake Jay from CW.

Things I loved:

- A lot of the action was really entertaining. The Bat sequences in particular, though I also loved...
    - That baby scene. The CGI was weird at times, but I liked how Barry had to fight with physics and make calculations.
    - The whole team-up dynamic in the beginning of the film
    - The time travel aesthetics were artistically done, even if different from what I expected.
    - Older Ezra actually did Barry justice. Always late, a little awkward and shy, scientifically-minded. They leaned into the lonely nerd thing a bit much but overall true to the character.
    - I like the spaghetti analogy. I detected a subtle dig at Endgame there.
    - The Man of Steel flashback was cool.
    - Overall I liked the suit. Sleek, red and gold, shiny. Looked aerodynamic but still heroic.

Things I was mixed on:

- The Humor; I laughed plenty in the movie, but at a certain point the adventure just devolved into comedic disciplined parent vs overactive child tropes, and I felt like the movie wasn't really going anywhere. Young Ezra also grated.
    - The Nostalgic elements didn't land that well for me. It might just be me, but it's a bit too Meta. Keaton's Batman was great but I wouldn't say he we learned anything new about him. Supergirl's personality was also blunted.
    - The Cameos were fun, but I felt they were clumsily shot. Just shots of characters staring at brightly colored globes crashing into each other. I got a laugh out of Nicholas Cage Superman, but it's not what I think of when I think "multiverse".
    - Iris looked and felt pretty different from her past appearances. Probably just her fashion sense.
    - It was creative to have past Barry constantly going back in time and screwing himself over, but having the whole thing take place in that time bubble felt off. Wasn't too thrilled about the design either. In general I felt like there was a sequence missing for the climax.
    - The mom moments were emotional but as everyone knows by now, having Barry be a victim of child trauma was never a creative choice I would want for the character.
    - Some of the running CGI wasn't great. You rarely get to see him use his speed in real time - which I think would be more effective than almost exclusively slow-motion. Wonder Woman and the Kryptonians for example often look or "feel" faster because their speed feels enhanced when everything else is moving at normal speed.

Things I didn't like:

- The ending. It felt abrupt, and silly.
    - The post-credit scene was dumb, underwhelming, and leaves viewers unsatisfied. The protagonist is now on an Earth where everything he knew is gone...and it's just a joke? He doesn't care that he's lost his friends? It feels like an insult.
    - Russian bad guys are beyond cliché at this point, feels a little cheap even with the current war going on.
    - I don't like when they throw lightning.
    - Zod shouldn't be so strong from the off. He was still wearing his Kryptonian atmosphere suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    - The ending. It felt abrupt, and silly.
    - The post-credit scene was dumb, underwhelming, and leaves viewers unsatisfied. The protagonist is now on an Earth where everything he knew is gone...and it's just a joke? He doesn't care that he's lost his friends? It feels like an insult.
    That's reshoot under Gunn to remove Cavill, Gagot, Calle and Keaton from the ending and the Affleck tease from the original mid credits scene.

The new ending has Barry restoring his timeline but Affleck is replaced by Clooney (instead of Keaton like in the original ending), you can assume everything else remained the same with no indications of the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The black and white Jay Garrick is supposed to be The Flash of George Reeves' Superman universe. It's not Zoom or fake Jay from CW.
    But it is Teddy Sears right?

It seemed a CGI generated white dude lol. Idk if there is footage of a real actor like Sears being used for the scene.

In the context of the scene, it's a 50s live action Jay Garrick that never was. This is the only thing that matter imo.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-16-2023 at 10:18 AM.

Extraordinary Member

He's given credit for the cameo all over the internet. I believe it was actually him.