Ultimate Member

Default Star Wars Lasers Lethality

How exactly do blasters kill anything Star Wars?

Do they blow up internal organs or something? Or do they have some mass so they actually penetrate their target?

Even if they do penetrate their targets, how deep do they go? I don't think we've seen laser fire actually go through people or anything.

I was just wondering because we sometimes see burn wounds on folks after being hit by blaster fire so I was wondering what exactly they do.

(also, can Jedi's block bullets ).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Do they blow up internal organs or something? Or do they have some mass so they actually penetrate their target?

Even if they do penetrate their targets, how deep do they go? I don't think we've seen laser fire actually go through people or anything.

I was just wondering because we sometimes see burn wounds on folks after being hit by blaster fire so I was wondering what exactly they do.

IIRC Blaster Bolts are made of Super heated Gas

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    IIRC Blaster Bolts are made of Super heated Gas
    ...instead of Photons like concentrated ones(aka Lasers)
    whatever Scientists tells us what they believes are the only things that exists in Reality(our world), they treats what US government and mainstream news media said about things like 9/11, CO2 Emissions, and so on as their gospel

https://lnk.bio/Masonicon

calling Real Life Martial Artists that can break walls "Comic Book Peak Human" is like calling Pre-new52!Cassandra Cain "Shounen Manga character"

They're compressed particle beams, as they're DEWs(directed energy weapons) they'd cause damage by efficiently transferring high levels of energy into their target, as far as penetration or damage caused by the shot(and particle beams would have kinetic energy to them and the wiki says they cause concussive damage as well) it'd be the same as any other class of weapon and depend on the weapon model, we know there's some degree of intensity setting as they can be set for a stun effect, all the way to the higher ends capable of complete disintegration of a human sized target as seen with stuff like the Mandalorian's disrupter rifle(and naturally increasing as you get into vehicle mounted weapons)
    Last edited by Hiromi; 06-20-2023 at 01:07 AM.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Given that lightsabers are superhot energy blades, it either wouldn't impart enough energy on the bullet to affect it, or it would, and the Jedi would be getting a cloud of superheated lead gas coming at their face. Either way bullets aren't GOOD for a Jedi.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

I've seen some scans of comics where Jedi have faced projectile guns and it seems that the bullets are liquidated and slowed significantly down by the blade but not stopped all together(thus being very painful) and they typically just dodge them or deflect them via telekinesis

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Tangent, but maaaaan, the art there is weird.

1. There are a dozen 'bullets' hanging roughly next to one another in one panel;
    2. The bullets still look like they're in their shells.

I figure the writer...

A - never considered the actual velocity of bullets versus their rate of fire (unless the context is 'a dozen people are all firing at pretty much EXACTLY the same time');
    B - drew the bullets based on a google search of 'bullets' that showed him unfired rounds in their casings.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

1. There are a dozen 'bullets' hanging roughly next to one another in one panel;

I figure the writer...

A - never considered the actual velocity of bullets versus their rate of fire (unless the context is 'a dozen people are all firing at pretty much EXACTLY the same time');
    B - drew the bullets based on a google search of 'bullets' that showed him unfired rounds in their casings.
    A. I think the guys are the top of the page are the ones shooting, they just have really exaggerated muzzle flares
    B. I think the artist is the one who drew the bullets, not the writer

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    A. I think the guys are the top of the page are the ones shooting, they just have really exaggerated muzzle flares
    Absolutely. Very clear. It changes nothing about what I said.

Again, unless the context is there are a dozen people all firing at ~exactly the same time (like, not 0.1 seconds off of each other, we're talking all twelve guns firing within < 0.001 seconds of each other to get 12 bullets all roughly in the same plane), this isn't happening*.

I see five guns firing (I guess it might be six, if the guy shouting for everyone to shoot is doing so below the 'camera'?). Unless there are more people shooting offscreen (again, context), that ain't happening. And even if there were, it would still require that near-perfect synchronization of shots.

* or, I guess, there are like...100+ or whatever guys firing at Obi-wan here, so by random chance enough of them are firing within <0.001 seconds of each other that 12 bullets roughly line up on the same plane, that might also work.**

** To get even more granular, unless the perfectly synched shooters are also perfectly lined up...well, that would work if they're staggered in their distance to the target so that even if they're firing slightly out of synch with each other, their bullets pass the people closer to Obi-wan in that <0.001 second interval as the closer people fire, and thus they all synch up nigh-perfectly again, but I suspect we're drilling down a little too much at this point.

B. I think the artist is the one who drew the bullets, not the writer
    Okay, you got me on that nit-pick. Replace 'the writer' with 'the artist'. Doesn't change my point: 'the art is weird'.

Going with the nit-picking idea, I'd like to point out that it's 'muzzle flash' not 'muzzle flare'. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-21-2023 at 05:32 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

I figure the writer...

"We fire the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    "We fire the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"
    Thank you for this, have been having a difficult day. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Oh, yeah. As for lightsabers and bullets; Star Wars does have "slug throwers", like what Tusken Raiders seem to favor. But lightsabers are not as effective on bullets as they are on blasters, as molten bits will still fly through the lightsaber itself.