Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

My government created free German lessons during the big refugee wave in 2015. Please use it, my taxes paid for this

https://learngerman.dw.com/en/learn-german/s-9528

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Truman saw through Stalin when Roosevelt did not.
    Indeed he did. Something to be said for some mid-west pragmatism.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Go to your local public library, tell the people that work there exactly what you wrote here; that you want to learn more about those subjects. I've been a librarian for many years and we are here to help people facing exactly what you are describing here. Obviously we're here to help everyone else too. Except Ron DeSantis, he can go to hell.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    When I was growing up I did not have much chance for an education due to a crazy home life. I have a middle school education and did not go to high school. At least not longer then 6 weeks. But as of late I have felt the need to do some learning on my own. I have a big interest in American history and Space travel.

I saw Wikipedia and there are some videos on Youtube and I was wondering how accurate they are or if there are sites or resources that may help. Or if anyone knows a good site to get some text books? I know there was a text book I had in middle school that had short stories and it had a questions page after each story. I would love to find something like that again.

Thank you for the help.
    This might be pushing things, and it's probably not what you are looking for, but have you considered GED Prep? The 10 Best GED Prep Courses and Classes of 2023, iff you haven't gotten a GED yet.

Others have already provided good answers in regards to free sources of information. Reviresco pretty much covered what I would have said. However, there are paid sources to learn new skills, Like Coursera, LinkedIn, and Google.

Edit: Adding these free or almost free sources:

Nova

National Geographic Society

Discovery - Space

Library of Congress Digital Collection

These are just the ones off the top of my head, I know there are more out there.
    Last edited by Tami; 06-17-2023 at 01:29 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Truman saw through Stalin when Roosevelt did not.
    Did he not also not deliver the first huge victory of the civil rights era by integrating the military fully and ordering equality by executive order?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    My government created free German lessons during the big refugee wave in 2015. Please use it, my taxes paid for this

https://learngerman.dw.com/en/learn-german/s-9528
    Sweet idea. I've found them fun. NHK has something similar for Japanese. French and Spanish can be found free online too.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Did he not also not deliver the first huge victory of the civil rights era by integrating the military fully and ordering equality by executive order?
    In 1948, although the Army didn't fully integrate until November of 1954 - with the last segregated units performing poorly in Korea due to white officers who saw serving in such units to be a career killer, and as such, didn't care much about the soldiers under them. The integrated units did much better. The Air Force integrated first in 1952, with the Army being last when it disbanded the 94th. Truman was especially motivated after hearing about the ordeal of Isaac Woodward, who had been arrested, beaten, and blinded by South Carolina police mere hours after being honorably discharged. The guy was still wearing his uniform when he was arrested.

Back to the subject of learning, another YouTube channel I have watched, and sadly forgot to mention is Crash Course. Which is exactly what it says on the tin, with some courses covering dozens of episodes, ranging from the history of computing, the world, films, the history of science, to actual sciences, mythology, statistics, and many, many more. Most episodes are only about 15 minutes or so in length.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Go to your local public library, tell the people that work there exactly what you wrote here; that you want to learn more about those subjects. I've been a librarian for many years and we are here to help people facing exactly what you are describing here. Obviously we're here to help everyone else too. Except Ron DeSantis, he can go to hell.
    100% ^This!^

Pick something you'd like to know, ask the librarian, and dig in.

Yale has a 1000+ videos on everything from the History of Ukraine to Dante's Inferno or green chemistry.

https://www.youtube.com/@YaleCourses
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets