Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Man it’s been forever since The Spectre had an ongoing

This being the age of the mini series, maybe a 12 issue Black Label book at least (by anyone but Tom King)?

I’ve always been a Jim Corrigan fan, really disliked the Hal Jordan version and wasn’t interested in the Crispus Allen take….

…though I’ve no doubt a good writer could incorporate and give all three their due.

Any interest in Spectre?
    Favorite host?
    Creative team/format ideas?

Spectre is one of those characters who was explored so thoroughly by John Ostrander during his run, it's hard to figure out what more could be done with him. The last time the concept felt like it had some life in it was when Hal Jordan briefly took on the role.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Spectre is one of those characters who was explored so thoroughly by John Ostrander during his run, it's hard to figure out what more could be done with him. The last time the concept felt like it had some life in it was when Hal Jordan briefly took on the role.
    I agree on both counts. I was surprised how much the Hal/Spectre series was about Hal rather than just The Spectre and Hal just happened to be the host.

Maybe a new series could go back to the Golden Age when the Spectre wasn't so OP and part of it could be exploring how he saw his time in the JSA.

Astonishing Member

Jim Corrigan's story is over. This is a character that should have been retired. If they need a new jobber, just bring back Crisus.

Fantastic Member

Yeah Ostrander kind of said everything I think you can about Corrigan and honestly the whole vengeance thing in general. Honestly his Specter run is one of DC's best every published series, like right up there with Sandman. And it means the shoes it left are MASSIVE, and just going back to 'murder bad guys in gruesome ways' would just feel, flat. And frankly more and more people I've meet know of that aspect of the Specter and turn away in utter disgust, there's no real audience I feel for that sort of thing anymore. Oh I'm sure there are peopel who would like it, just not enough, though I could be wrong.

J. M. DeMatteis basically did what you had to do in the wake of Ostrander's masterpiece (or at least one of them, he's a very good writer...) take the concept in a radically new direction. But of course it was always going to be an odd fit, especially with Hal. Oh I think DeMatteis did a wonderful job, but well I think it was Ron Marz who once called it just slamming two random parts of the DCU together, and... he's not wrong. Fans of classic Specter where never going to be happy with the change in direction, and many Hal fans were likely looking for classic superhero sci-fi action. Which is, not what we got. It very much felt like they realized Hal still had a notable fanbase and there was internist in the character, but also they didn't want to go back on him no longer being GL, so hey the Specter did real well a bit ago, why not use that to get him back in a non-GL role? Again, personally what we got was chef's kiss, but I'm still kind of shocked it manged to last even two years. I'm not sure what you could do with The Specter at this point.
    Last edited by NathanS; 06-17-2023 at 11:21 AM.

BANNED

I think the Spectre really shouldn't be Corrigan at this point. Corrigan's story is over. He doesn't even need to show up at this point unless the character is directly in heaven.

Unless you do something really creative with it of course

Thanks for all the replies, guys; great reading!

If one were to run with the notion of Spectre as an agency of vengeance or retribution, maybe make a new Spectre series with less focus on the supernatural aspect and focus on crime. Spectre could delve into why these crimes happened, and find ways to make the punishment fit the crime, or maybe discover if punishment or redemption is the better route for the sinner. Throw in some stuff about the victim finding closure as well and the new series could be an exploration of human violence. Or something like that. (I don't know if the Ostrander run covered stuff like that - I missed the boat on that run, but I really liked his Martian Manhunter series)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-18-2023 at 03:05 PM.

Fantastic Member

If you are remotely inherited in the Specter I highly encourage looking into even just the little of the Ostrander run that has been republished. But needless to say dealing with vengeance, mercy and the nature of justice is a BIG part of it.

I agree with everyone who said that Corrigan's story is over and there is no point in bringing it back.

I felt that Crispus Allen never really got a fair shot and was just used as a guest star or jobbing in every event. I also don't think DC had the guts to really delve into what a black man with god like power and spiritual of vengeance would be like.

If the concept of Spectre were to be explored even further, I think the best path would be to explore what happens when the Spectre is possessed by someone with a different religious background. Imagine waking up some other religion's after life and finding out that your deities exist but so does every one else's and now you are stuck doing what's basically work-for-hire for a different cosmic entity than the one you are used to. Personally, I think the best way to deal with the Spectre in a shared universe is to just stick him in a realm where he is constantly dealing with god like entities and anything that happens in earth is too meager for him to care about.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

BANNED

I agree with everyone who said that Corrigan's story is over and there is no point in bringing it back.

I felt that Crispus Allen never really got a fair shot and was just used as a guest star or jobbing in every event. I also don't think DC had the guts to really delve into what a black man with god like power and spiritual of vengeance would be like.

If the concept of Spectre were to be explored even further, I think the best path would be to explore what happens when the Spectre is possessed by someone with a different religious background. Imagine waking up some other religion's after life and finding out that your deities exist but so does every one else's and now you are stuck doing what's basically work-for-hire for a different cosmic entity than the one you are used to. Personally, I think the best way to deal with the Spectre in a shared universe is to just stick him in a realm where he is constantly dealing with god like entities and anything that happens in earth is too meager for him to care about.
    Maybe the Spectres new host is an alien?

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The jobbing of Crispus during Blackest Night is something I’ll never forget.

I’ve been working my way through Ostrander’s run and the Silver Age tales. I was trying to figure out when the Spectre went from being a spirit of vengeance solving murders and fighting crime. In a similar vein to Marvel’s spirit of vengeance, Ghost Rider. To a fill-in-the-blank omnipotent, modern Scarlet Witch type character by the writers.

With limitations and some power scaling, Spectre could work as an ongoing. Just have his host fight crime, or work in a police station to solve cases. Special victim’s unit, major crimes, homicide, terrorism, human and drug trafficking, and super crime. Add in other supernatural heroes like Fate, Constantine, Phantom Stranger, Madam Xanadu, and Dr. Occult to serve as guides and allies to the new host.

Remove the divine voice and god’s wrath angle. Make him a super powered version of Deadman. Who after doing so much good and or even solving their own murder, they get their life back.

I had an idea years ago that Raven from TT would make an excellent Spectre. Given her own family tree and history. She dies and the Spectre chooses her for its host. A space demon’s daughter is now gifted the power of a fallen angel. I’d read that.

Damn, thought a new book was in the works!

Astonishing Member

I think a series (limited or ongoing) set in the Golden Age is the only way to go. It would still be Jim Corrigan, and his powers wouldn't be as cosmic in scope. I'd rather see him going up against old school mobsters, charlatans and sorcerers than any modern day villains.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think a series (limited or ongoing) set in the Golden Age is the only way to go. It would still be Jim Corrigan, and his powers wouldn't be as cosmic in scope. I'd rather see him going up against old school mobsters, charlatans and sorcerers than any modern day villains.
    ^^^I could live w. that. Happily.