View Poll Results: Why do you watch the MCU?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rewatch Factor

0 0%
  • Characters/stories translated to the screen

6 60.00%
  • New MCU Storytelling

0 0%
  • Nostalgia

1 10.00%
  • Other (in comments)

3 30.00%
    Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Default MCU: Expectations and Reasons to Watch

As comic book readers, not the general public, what is your reason(s) for tuning in? Do you hold Disney's Marvel media to the same standard as other media, or is it its own category since they feature characters related to stories and personalities that have existed before and parallel to the media? I.E. Since the character is a certain way in the comics, a director shouldn't have the freedoms to change the story and character to their personal vision, but should abide by the precedent set in the comics.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    As comic book readers, not the general public, what is your reason(s) for tuning in? Do you hold Disney's Marvel media to the same standard as other media, or is it its own category since they feature characters related to stories and personalities that have existed before and parallel to the media? I.E. Since the character is a certain way in the comics, a director shouldn't have the freedoms to change the story and character to their personal vision, but should abide by the precedent set in the comics.
    mostly to see my fav characters on the screen and because it is being translated I never get upset when things aren't 100% true to the comic.

as long as the character is there in a good story I am happy.

Other the GoTG3 this phase has been pretty horrid, so my expectations are pretty low and I am running out of reasons to watch especially because the next batch of movies don't sound very interesting at all.

Curiosity and a good time like any other film. I got into the Marvel Comics through cartoons and games etc. So accuracy isn't the primary goal for me.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-18-2023 at 08:08 AM.

At first I didn’t like how they strayed from comic accuracy. Like shafting Hank Pym yet again and not making him an original Avenger. I really liked the first two Ant-Man movies. All the Avenger movies. Daredevil. She-Hulk because they incorporated little used comic book characters like the therapy group and the Leap-Frog. GOTG has been real good as well. Werewolf by Night was too. Overall Marvel has been hitting it big with the MCU. Both the movies and the Disney plus shows.

I'm not as excited about the movies as I used to be. Unfortunately, I think I got attached to the actors and their roles. Moving forward however, I think I'll always watch both MCU and DCU movies due to the nostalgia of the characters that I grew up with.

Voted for "seeing stuff translated to the screen" but emphasis on "translated." I'm looking for an adaptation, not a 100% loyal, panel-for-panel recreation. I want the spirit and core of the characters intact, the major story/character beats, and beyond that I'm open to interpretation.

But mostly it's just for a good time. The MCU makes for good popcorn entertainment, and I don't worry much about how closely it adheres to comic history.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It's unlikely we'll mostly see what we really want. When you're my age and have reading for over 50 years, well, there are so many stories that will never happen, but I still feel I can look forward to some of it.

It would be boring if every cherished story was exactly the same in a movie version.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I like the whole narrative concept of the "shared universe", with several standalone stories taking place concurrently in a same world. Most other series in most formats follow a linear story (a story has sequels and those have a specific and defined order). Yes, comic books invented the concept, but it is largely improvised and arranged on the fly. The MCU does it on a never seen scale.