Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Batman/Catwoman: Is it any good?

Thought about getting this. Is it any good?
    Assassinate Putin!

No, and please don't defend art just for its sex appeal, it's bad.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Overall, I'd say it was a grand idea for a story I wasn't really interested in. I'd say it definitely wasn't the story that was promised.

I'm not big on possible future stories, so that's an immediate turn off for me, but even then it's more of a Catwoman series than anything. Also there's a bunch of choices that again aren't for me.

Clay Mann's art is incredible but for whatever reason he couldn't keep to deadlines and was replaced by Liam Sharp for a few issue, which was a jarring shift.

That said, there was a one-off special issue to cover Mann's gap that was excellent.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

I'd say it was a mixed bag, if you loved every part of Tom King's Batman run you may love everything about this, if you though his Batman run was a bit up and down however you'll probably see a lot of what you disliked in this.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I loved it it was a great ending to King's run.

I was taken aback by the ending especially what happened with Selina.

King's entire run was very melancholic so the ending read like a true greek tragedy.

The art is top notch and beautiful, but it does suck that Mann couldn't keep up and Sharp had to fill in for 3 issues which, to me, are quite ugly.

I would recommend it if you really loved King's Batman run.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Challenging story to read, so many different narratives/timelines interplaying with each other, but if you love King's characterization (Batman, Selina, Joker, etc), then that remains a strong point in this series as well. I think King nails Joker's voice/thinking pretty darn well. And he's consistent about how he writes Bat & Cat, his vision of them.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

I never finished. Can someone explain to me why Selina continued to casually meet up with the Joker while she's with Bruce.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

No.

(10 char)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    I never finished. Can someone explain to me why Selina continued to casually meet up with the Joker while she's with Bruce.
    Because Selina has a dark side, has a criminal side, has a traumatic painful past, and she cannot fully shake it, with or without Bruce. In King's conception...nearly all the rogues have varying degrees of insanity/mental illness and somewhat can't help what they do, and that includes Selina. In B/C, Selina comes to realize Joker may not be like her and the other rogues like she always assumed, that Joker is completely in his right mind and his insanity is just an elaborate act to hide who he really is.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-22-2023 at 05:57 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”