Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

If you go by the books, and particularly the Life and Times of Lucas Bishop, he is an aboriginal. But that does not make any sense with how the character was portrayed up until then. So in my head canon, at some point in the future the antimutant sentiment in the USA reached such levels that many mutants fleed to other countries. The australian aboriginals, experienced as they were in racism and persecution, were quite welcoming. So Bishop is a result of that. I also quite like the idea of him being a descendant of Eden Fesi and M. That is why he always knows where he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    That also works for me. Not Gateway's son; when the x-Men met Gateway in the 1980s, he was already an old man whose children and grandchildren, if any, would surely have already been born. Great-grandson, maybe; or even great-great, depending on how far in the future Bishop comes from.
    Yeah, Shard alludes at one point to being from a point far enough in the future all the X-Men were not just dead, but barely remembered. So Gateway'd have to be an ancestor more distant than grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, Shard alludes at one point to being from a point far enough in the future all the X-Men were not just dead, but barely remembered. So Gateway'd have to be an ancestor more distant than grandfather.
    Gateway can open portals through time and even other dimensions as well has having some sort of 'Trans-Realm Clairvoyance' that enables him to view other times, dimensions, and physical planes and has knowledge of all of it. He could easily have traveled forward through time at some point maybe even with the intent of bringing Bishop into existence.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I always thought of Bishop as being the first truly post-racial X-man. Like yeah, he's black, obviously, but he's from an era where humanity is so absolutely fucked, that no one gives a damn about racial hatred anymore. We're all too busy holding hands and going off into oblivion thanks to the machines.
    Agree. Bishop have a black skin and grew up in the future America, but his experience is too different from the current USA and the current black Americans. He was hated and persecuted all his life not for being black, but for being mutant. It is kind of how Exodus was born in France, but his France and the modern-day France are too different too compare, so he is French in name only. Or Apocalypse, his Egypt and current Egypt are too different, so he is not really Egyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    Gateway can open portals through time and even other dimensions as well has having some sort of 'Trans-Realm Clairvoyance' that enables him to view other times, dimensions, and physical planes and has knowledge of all of it. He could easily have traveled forward through time at some point maybe even with the intent of bringing Bishop into existence.
    Being a relative of Gateway i always felt this was the reason Bishop instinctively knows where/when he is, like that little aspect of gateway was passed down.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I never heard that rumor and it makes no sense. M is a quarter black, a quarter white, and half Algerian. If they were Bishop's parents, he would hardly look black at att.
    lol where'd you get fractions from lol
    But I meeeean there's no standard color guide when it comes to the skin color of multiracial kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah I thought the rumor was that M and Synch were Bishop’s ancestors. There’s a panel in Gen X were Bishop is regaining consciousness and mistakes Monet for his mother.
    Yeah for a hot sec marvel seemed to want to relate all their black chars. lol jk but maaybe they were leaning to heavily on Jubilee being the Last X-Man and wanted evidence" to support the idea

But some of these retcons really make no sense. I mean, Blink was born in the Bahamas but was clearly white.
    !!! When was she shown to be white? Shes had pink/lavender/purple skin from the jump.

Most likely had rich parents that lived there like Sean Connery. And that tracks with the fact that she had British ancestors who were part of Clan Akkaba.
    Yeah buuuut moving to an island where 90% of the population is black then the odds are your partner or your offsprings partner is gonna be black... eventually lol
    But Saladin Ahmed ignores that and suddenly implies she was always black because she was from the Bahamas and he doesn't do any research on the characters he writes.
    Ignores what? She has British ancestry? In an interview Lobdell commented on this and basically he was like 'why are people surprised?? She was born in the Bahamas I thought it was obvious'
    GrindrStone(D)

Those relating to Monet's ancestry are factual. He father is half black and half white. Her mother was fully Algerian.

And I could not find any interview with Lobdell corroborating the claim. I sent an email to ask him (using the only email online that I could find, but it's likely he doesn't use it anymore), but he deleted all social media three years ago. Blink's facial features and hair never looked black until Ahmed told his artist to make it so. And do you really think that she would have had access to regular hair treatments in AoA? Catrusia is also not a real place. Could've even been a private island.

If Lobdell tells me I'm wrong and he always intended Blink to be black, mea culpa. But we'll see if he responds at all. Bottomline, I hate being gaslit that characters were always such and such when they weren't.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Those relating to Monet's ancestry are factual. He father is half black and half white. Her mother was fully Algerian.

And I could not find any interview with Lobdell corroborating the claim. I sent an email to ask him (using the only email online that I could find, but it's likely he doesn't use it anymore), but he deleted all social media three years ago. Blink's facial features and hair never looked black until Ahmed told his artist to make it so. And do you really think that she would have had access to regular hair treatments in AoA? Catrusia is also not a real place. Could've even been a private island.

If Lobdell tells me I'm wrong and he always intended Blink to be black, mea culpa. But we'll see if he responds at all. Bottomline, I hate being gaslit that characters were always such and such when they weren't.
    I meeeean Husk says hi....

GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    i remember I saw a rumor a long time ago that Madrox and M were either Bishops grandparents or parents. But they never seemed to dig into his parents. Hopes either.
    I also remember rumors claiming that Ororo was Bishop's mother. But, unless something has drastically changed recently...

Current cannon has it that Bishop's parents are, Burnum and Kadee Bishop, last seen (albeit briefly) in the pages of X-Men: The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop #1 (2009) and as far as I'm concerned they're both (albeit, Australian, Aborigines) Black and Lucus and his sister Shard were born in the United States.

Louise Spalding (biological mother of Hope Summers, deceased); Unknown biological father.
    Last edited by Micabe; 06-23-2023 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Pic(s) and Link(s) added.