Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I remember arguments like this during Phase One and someone talking about how "faithful" it all was to the comics.

Because Obadiah Stane was always a part of Tony Stark's origin and because the lesson Stark learned from his heart damage was to immediately stop manufacturing weapons (when if fact, it redoubled his production to stop "the Enemies of America") and Tony and Pepper were always an item and it was never Pepper and Happy.

Because Bruce Banner was always against manufacturing weapons of war and never built a Gamma bomb but experimented on himself.

Because Thor was never Don Blake and never lived and practiced as a medical doctor while Jane Foster was never a nurse instead of whatever type of scientist she's supposed to be.

But we can dismiss the Kraven movie based on some action scenes and, best of all, it's crap because it's not exactly the comic version.

Or, as a friend of mine says, "The current movie versions are not exactly the same as the comic book versions I grew up on- and I'm good with that. I also refuse to take cut and dried positions on social issues and political issues I really know almost nothing about. Two things you will never hear on the Internet".
    A comic book film will never be able to capture the beauty and expressiveness of its source material, ever, and the worst CBMs are usually the ones that stray the farthest. And even the good ones that deviate still suffer because of it. It is unavoidable, they will always deviate, typically for the story, but I also think it stems from apathy. I feel like I can just tell when the people making something do not care and when they do. The Batman, for example, is one of my favorite CBMs because despite its deviations it to me is the most faithful version of Batman ever put to screen, it holds a lot of reverence for the source material and it shines throughout the entire film.
    James Gunn's GOTG movies have some of the most egregious deviations from comics but those movies are actually good, mainly because of Gunn's writing and directing, and for the story he wanted to do maybe things like making Drax a human or making Mantis even remotely like she is in the comics would have made the films worse and over-complicated, who knows. Despite that I still think it is ALWAYS better to follow the source material as closely as possible. It is typically not storylines being adapted but the characters and their circumstances. Since Kraven is not Holden Caulfield and has appeared in not just one book but decades of material, to properly research and ascertain what this character is like beyond reading some wiki pages takes some effort. And if I'm a studio exec looking to cash in on a Spider-Man character I probably wouldn't give a shit about that. I do not have any faith that anyone involved in this movie actually cares about Kraven or has even read a single story with him beyond Last Hunt, if even that. This movie is not being made out of someone's love for this character. It's easy to say that complaints like this are small fries but to me they are what make or break CBMs. Adaptations are almost always worse, and adaptations that take a blueprint of a character to fit in with a preconceived corporate-sanctioned idea instead of doing something purposeful and meaningful always fall short. I know I won't enjoy it but I really hope that you do! And hopefully it will draw in more readers to Spidey books.

EDIT: and to add, I think pre-Disney MCU is my favorite MCU
    Last edited by James Cameron; 06-19-2023 at 03:43 PM.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Astonishing Member

Of course they know it isn't comics accurate. And if the translation works and the movie turns out well them great. But, I will take most of the FoxMen movies for example when you change so much and it doesn't work. Then you can easily say you have 50 years of stories and reasons to know what could have worked.

I am not one to say all these characters must be a direct copy of comics characters. However, the proof is in the longevity of these characters. There are writers/artists whose stories we didn't like as much. And there are iconic stories that are the reasons these characters are able to get movies greenlit today.

The supernatural angle I mean if he is going to eventually go up against Rhino, and maybe a Spider man or Venom at some point I get it. You need to make him more than human to not look silly. I felt the same in recent X men stories with Kraven cameos. It made no sense as almost any Xmen should easily beat a normal human Kraven.

The brothers backstory angle wasn't that compelling to me. And trying to make him more than just a trophy hunter is iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Of course they know it isn't comics accurate. And if the translation works and the movie turns out well them great. But, I will take most of the FoxMen movies for example when you change so much and it doesn't work. Then you can easily say you have 50 years of stories and reasons to know what could have worked.

I am not one to say all these characters must be a direct copy of comics characters. However, the proof is in the longevity of these characters. There are writers/artists whose stories we didn't like as much. And there are iconic stories that are the reasons these characters are able to get movies greenlit today.

The supernatural angle I mean if he is going to eventually go up against Rhino, and maybe a Spider man or Venom at some point I get it. You need to make him more than human to not look silly. I felt the same in recent X men stories with Kraven cameos. It made no sense as almost any Xmen should easily beat a normal human Kraven.

The brothers backstory angle wasn't that compelling to me. And trying to make him more than just a trophy hunter is iffy.
    Well, for now, it's nothing more than a highlights reel. To my knowledge from having grown up in the 1960s and 1970s, Kraven is basically a guy obsessed with hunting and turns his sites on Spider-Man because the animals cannot challenge him,. End of motive and origin.

Later, becomes so obsessed that we get a really dramatic "Last Hunt". Oh, and the character in his first twenty years never had anything remotely resembling a sense of humor.. But we see one in the trailer. "You're just now figuring that out" [that he's crazy].

So, unless it's material well after his first couple of decades, I really see nothing in the trailer where he could not eventually get past his Daddy issues, probably by killing him, then develop a desire for some real competition like, oh, Spider-Man, hopefully the Sony version so we don't have to have reality crossing taking up story time.

I readily agree that this version really has no connection to the comic version so far except a hunter and wears a coat like a lion's mane. But there weren't exactly real similarities between comic Vulture and movie Vulture and that turned out great. I mean, fought Spider-Man is really the main similarity.

I think a great twist would be if we got a Kraven move where he's the main character but ultimately fights Spider-Man. I do admit they could so a "big game hunter" movie where he's not the good guy but people can kind of see his point of view.
    Power with Girl is better.

Niffleheim

Hilarious Here comes the White Lion, I can't honestly see myself walking in to the cinema to watch this. I'll be laughing my ass off the whole time watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Looks pretty similar to Morbius. It's Kraven time!
    We went from morbin time to huntin' time. cringe
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I'm Kraven this movie.

I know I'm old school but I'd really rather Rhino be a guy in a Rhino suit i don't care how silly it looks I don't want monster Rhino or a robot Rhino anyone agree?

This looks more like a direct-to-DVD flick than something that needs to be in cinemas.

I know Kraven in the comics used like potions to enhance himself but a lion bite mutating him into an animal man? Really?

That glasses guy is mutating into Rhino? That kid is Chameleon? Really?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This looks more like a direct-to-DVD flick than something that needs to be in cinemas.

I know Kraven in the comics used like potions to enhance himself but a lion bite mutating him into an animal man? Really?

That glasses guy is mutating into Rhino? That kid is Chameleon? Really?
    It's all so silly.

He got turned by radioactive/supernatural Lion into Kraven.

It looks like complete schlock.

I dont mind that the Kraven in this movie is not like the one in the comics. As pointed out many comic book characters on the big screen were changed a bit for the movies. I dont even care about the lion giving him his powers.

What I mind is just how generic this movie looks. You could replace Johnson with Tom Cruise or Keanu Reeves and it would just be another "Meh" Action flick.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Kraven the Hunter movie sounds great. I find Kraven to be a very interesting villain. He not only defeated Spider-Man, but buried him alive in a grave.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I know I'm old school but I'd really rather Rhino be a guy in a Rhino suit i don't care how silly it looks I don't want monster Rhino or a robot Rhino anyone agree?
    Yes. I'd rather see the original Rhino than a street punk in a powered armor suit or a mutation.

"Power is about strength". Redundant much, redundant.

I liked the part where Kraven said "It's Kravening time" and then kravened all over his opponents.

Yes, I feel ashamed for using that meme.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

It doesn't look bad.....if it weren't trying to tell me it is something it almost certainly is not, which is Kraven.
    Sure you got a few beats down but no.

I could see Kraven playing the protagonist or at least be very gray. From what I gather in the trailer he is essentially doing his schtick just to piss off Daddy. Doesn't make him a hero. Is it even in that gray zone? Not sure entirely. So the Rhino tease, is that a robotic nano suit going on or a mutation happening? I could see it going either way.

I didn't hate Morbius like some but admit its a middling film. I saw it once in theater and streamed it once.
    I'll see Kraven at minimum once but may not make it a theater showing, cause matinees at Regal are $15 now. FIFTEEN DOLLARS. Not fatigue for me, as I see comic films, its the price.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I'm Kraven this movie.
    Okay. Since everyone chose to pass this by, I just could not. As of now, you are the ruling deity of puns.

“He’s got a Kraven for vengeance!” There’s your tag line Sony.