Default 10 Films That Define the 2010s

There was a CBR list of ten films that defined the 1980s that inspired Caj to start a list of ten films that define the 1990s. So what are ten films that define the 2010s?

These aren't necessarily your favorite films, but films that reflect trends from the decade.

My guesses...
    The Social Network- I'm biased since it's my favorite film of the decade, although Fincher & Sorkin are established as major figures, and the commentary about Facebook became even more relevant.
    Inception- One of the biggest hits that wasn't a sequel or based on existing IP. Nolan's one of the biggest directors of the decade; Dicaprio may be its biggest star.
    The Avengers- Pretty much solidified the concept of a cinematic universe.
    Birdman- The three Amigos won five Academy Awards for Best Director in a six-year period. This also exemplifies how Hollywood was really interested in telling stories about cinematic history (Argo, Hugo, The Artist) and a vogue for extended shots (1917, Gravity)
    Mad Max Fury Road- By some metrics, it's the most acclaimed film of the decade.
    Moonlight- A critical favorite dealing with serious issues.
    Get Out- The defining example of elevated horror. Also exemplifies a greater emphasis on minority filmmakers telling their own stories.
    Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse- Definitely shook up animation.
    A Portrait of A Lady on Fire- Ranked #29 in Sight & Sounds' best of list. Really popular with film twitter. An example of an emphasis on female directors telling the stories of women.
    Parasite- After it won Best Picture, it clearly became the most prominent film of the South Korean New Wave.

What would your selections be?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I second The Avengers and Birdman-

Wonder Woman- Gal Gadot is perfect for the role. strong-willed and determined female with a womanly heart.

Aquaman- an excellent film with beautiful visuals and special effects that makes an undersea world look real .

Guardians of the Galaxy - a film about Cosmic Avengers comprised of loners and outcasts that resembles a closer family than Fantastic Four or X-Men.

The Artist - the first silent film in 2010's. The atmosphere and tone of the film captures the nostalgic feel of the twenties and thirties.

Frozen - a great and inspiring fairy tale story of two royal sisters based on 1844 fairy tale The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen. Frozen 2 is the highest grossing animated film of all time unless you count Lion King remake.
    Last edited by Zauriel; 06-20-2023 at 12:26 AM.

No list is complete without Nicolas Cage, so my choice would be...

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-19-2023 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Snow White and the Huntsman was a brilliant creative take on the fairy Tale by Brothers Grimm. I liked the idea of having the Huntsman as Snow White's love interrest.

Coco is an entertaining and enjoyable "Day of the Dead" movie about a boy's trip to the afterlife where he searches for his great-grasndfather.

Extraordinary Member

I'd love to participate - and I appreciate you continuing this - but I had almost stopped going to the movies by this decade.

The one film and saw (twice) and loved was Jurassic World from 2015.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

For me I'd go with(in no real order)
    10) Once Upon a time...in Hollywood
    9) 12 Years a Slave
    8)Mad Max Fury Road
    7)The VVitch
    6)The Grand Budapest Hotel
    5) Get Out
    4) Ladybird
    3) Attack the Block
    2) Shape of Water
    1) Coco
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There was a CBR list of ten films that defined the 1980s that inspired Caj to start a list of ten films that define the 1990s. So what are ten films that define the 2010s?

These aren't necessarily your favorite films, but films that reflect trends from the decade.

My guesses...
    The Social Network- I'm biased since it's my favorite film of the decade, although Fincher & Sorkin are established as major figures, and the commentary about Facebook became even more relevant.
    Inception- One of the biggest hits that wasn't a sequel or based on existing IP. Nolan's one of the biggest directors of the decade; Dicaprio may be its biggest star.
    The Avengers- Pretty much solidified the concept of a cinematic universe.
    Birdman- The three Amigos won five Academy Awards for Best Director in a six-year period. This also exemplifies how Hollywood was really interested in telling stories about cinematic history (Argo, Hugo, The Artist) and a vogue for extended shots (1917, Gravity)
    Mad Max Fury Road- By some metrics, it's the most acclaimed film of the decade.
    Moonlight- A critical favorite dealing with serious issues.
    Get Out- The defining example of elevated horror. Also exemplifies a greater emphasis on minority filmmakers telling their own stories.
    Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse- Definitely shook up animation.
    A Portrait of A Lady on Fire- Ranked #29 in Sight & Sounds' best of list. Really popular with film twitter. An example of an emphasis on female directors telling the stories of women.
    Parasite- After it won Best Picture, it clearly became the most prominent film of the South Korean New Wave.

What would your selections be?
    I think this is a pretty darn perfect list. I do think it's missing an A24 horror movie, though I'm not sure what I would add. Maybe The Witch.

Definitely, another choice would be...

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Snow White and the Huntsman was a brilliant creative take on the fairy Tale by Brothers Grimm. I liked the idea of having the Huntsman as Snow White's love interrest.

Coco is an entertaining and enjoyable "Day of the Dead" movie about a boy's trip to the afterlife where he searches for his great-grasndfather.
    An argument about Coco in the larger context of "important" films is that it is a major example of animated films taking advantage of diverse settings, which is a shift.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I think this is a pretty darn perfect list. I do think it's missing an A24 horror movie, though I'm not sure what I would add. Maybe The Witch.
    A24 did have Moonlight. And I wouldn't be surprised if Everything, Everywhere All At Once makes it to lists of the current decade.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    An argument about Coco in the larger context of "important" films is that it is a major example of animated films taking advantage of diverse settings, which is a shift.

Speaking of which, how about Zootopia? It is an example of various animal species, both herbivores and carnivores, coexisting in harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

Coco was better the frist time whan it was called The Book of Life.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I'd love to participate - and I appreciate you continuing this - but I had almost stopped going to the movies by this decade.

The one film and saw (twice) and loved was Jurassic World from 2015.
    You stopped going to the movies for a decade except for Jurassic World and you saw it 2 time's? To each there own I guess.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    You stopped going to the movies for a decade except for Jurassic World and you saw it 2 time's? To each there own I guess.
    I had a lot going on in my personal life - several family deaths. I just wasn't in the mood to go to the movie theater. I will say that Jurassic World was a bright spot in my life at the time.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

In no particular order

• Avengers
    • Wonder Woman
    • John Wick
    • Star Wars Force Awakens
    • Inception
    • Social Network
    • Black Panther
    • Moana

That is only 8, I can't even think of others I saw in that decade to make me think "so defining". I saw Mad Max, liked it but it didn't leave some high mark impact on me. I never saw Get Out. I like Zootopia but not over Moana and I feel Moana registers more for the list. Moonlight, Birdman and some others more artistic fare I just never have gotten around to yet.
    Really surprised no one has mentioned Black Panther until now.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

It's weird...I don't look back at the 2010's and think cinematic masterpieces or era defining because how do you define the era? I can see the 60-70-80-90-00 etc, but the 10's? I don't see it...Maybe because it's still too new?