Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Disney animation had a "dark period" ... And didn't die.

I'm sure Pixar will survive.

The one suggestion I haven't seen that I actually think would help is ... Break from Disney.
    No one is saying it's going to shut down just that it's not good anymore. Also Disney owns them how can they break from them?

There is a very likely next step. This is when Pixar makes films about Disney licenses. And the properties Disney bought.

So we might see some kind of schedule like...
    2027- Toy Story 5
    2027- Lost Indiana Jones Adventure
    2028- Original Idea
    2029- Star Wars Adventure set between A New Hope and the Empire Strikes Back
    2029- Coco 2
    2030- Original Idea
    2030- Star Wars story set in Baby Yoda days, and you can bet your ass he shows up in the last act.
    2031- New Lost Indiana Jones Adventure
    2031- Scrooge McDuck
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There is a very likely next step. This is when Pixar makes films about Disney licenses. And the properties Disney bought.

2027- Toy Story 5
    2028- Original Idea
    2029- Coco 2
    2030- Original Idea
    2030- Star Wars story set in Baby Yoda days, and you can bet your ass he shows up in the last act.
    2031- Scrooge McDuck
    I just want a Pixar Fantastic Four film. That would be dope

One of Pixar's issues is that they've trained audiences to watch these very expensive films on Disney+. This is probably why they're going with Toy Story 5, although that's going to have to be a really good movie to not hurt their original brand.

One really big film might be enough to really help, something so good that people who liked Pixar films in the past feel the need to see it in theaters.

2027- Toy Story 5
    2028- Original Idea
    2029- Coco 2
    2030- Original Idea
    2031- Scrooge McDuck

I hear Pixar is still considering making Incredibles 3. Why would they not want to? Incredibles 2 made over $1.2 billion and ranks as the 5th highest-grossing animated film.
    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    The budget is actually More like 300 million for each.
    Oh you meant to say the budget includes marketing and promotional ads.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I think that comment is the most important. It might be cool to try something new, but not if it blows your budget.
    I apologize for saying something incorrectly. So I would like to rectify my mistake.

Unlike Elemental, Lightyear isn't exactly a brand-new concept but a spin-off of a popular franchise. Disney/Pixar threw $200 million in Lightyear's budget, and it blew into their faces.

Now let's take a look at this video.

The Super Mario Bros' budget is half that of Elemental. I don't know what method the Illumination used to create this movie on a smaller budget than Elemental. But both the animation and visuals are more impressive than what I saw in Elementals trailer. By the way Super Mario Bros isn't a new concept but based on a popular video game. The Super Mario Bros movie made $1.3 billion, 13 times its budget.

Ultimate Member

I think Pixar should just focus on quality and to regain audience trust. Quality is obviously subjective so defining that isn't easy.

Elemental has been well-received and is holding well. It shows that people really like the movie.

A string of good movies will help build-up confidence in the brand and get people into theaters again. It's a tough ask because it's really much easier to wait for D+, so that's something the higher-ups at Disney should address.

A longer delay between D+ release and a full theatrical run is something they have to consider.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Disney should look at the success of the Spiderverse movies and invest in an animated movie universe, separate from the main MCU.

If the MCU Spider-Man movies and the Spiderverse can be successful at the same time, a live action universe and an animated one may work.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I hear Pixar is still considering making Incredibles 3. Why would they not want to? Incredibles 2 made over $1.2 billion and ranks as the 5th highest-grossing animated film.

Oh you meant to say the budget includes marketing and promotional ads.

I apologize for saying something incorrectly. So I would like to rectify my mistake.

Unlike Elemental, Lightyear isn't exactly a brand-new concept but a spin-off of a popular franchise. Disney/Pixar threw $200 million in Lightyear's budget, and it blew into their faces.

Now let's take a look at this video.

The Super Mario Bros' budget is half that of Elemental. I don't know what method the Illumination used to create this movie on a smaller budget than Elemental. But both the animation and visuals are more impressive than what I saw in Elementals trailer. By the way Super Mario Bros isn't a new concept but based on a popular video game. The Super Mario Bros movie made $1.3 billion, 13 times its budget.
    But Mario wasn't really good.

If Mario was released in the middle of summer with real competition I severely doubt it would have gotten close to a billion.

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    We did. It was called The Incredibles.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    We did. It was called The Incredibles.
    Yeah the Incredibles have a Superman daddy, Mr. Fantastic mommy, Flash son, Invisible Woman daughter and a Franklin Richards infant. And Iceman best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think Pixar should just focus on quality and to regain audience trust. Quality is obviously subjective so defining that isn't easy.

Elemental has been well-received and is holding well. It shows that people really like the movie.

A string of good movies will help build-up confidence in the brand and get people into theaters again. It's a tough ask because it's really much easier to wait for D+, so that's something the higher-ups at Disney should address.

A longer delay between D+ release and a full theatrical run is something they have to consider.
    Yes, those gross estimates on Elemental are optimistic.

Either a delay between D+ release and a full theatrical run or they should charge $9,999 dollars for each new movie on Disney+ while at the same time as the theatrical run. Charge $9,999 dollars per new film, not for all new movies.

I know some people who are willing to wait for a new movie release on Disney+ for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    But Mario wasn't really good.

If Mario was released in the middle of summer with real competition I severely doubt it would have gotten close to a billion.
    That's true. Elemental had the rotten luck of competing with Spider-Verse film. That's why Elemental didn't sell very well.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    No one is saying it's going to shut down just that it's not good anymore. Also Disney owns them how can they break from them?
    Weren't they trying to leave at one point?

I'm sure they could buy themselves out or something.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Box Office Mojo is reporting that Elemental made more money yesterday (Friday) than The Flash did. If that result stays consistent for the rest of the weekend then the Pixar film will in weekend 2 beat the film that outsold it by over 20 million in their opening week. Positive word of mouth does help to some extent, even if it's cold comfort overall.
    Question is if that's Elemental doing good, or the Flash doing even worse....

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Weren't they trying to leave at one point?

I'm sure they could buy themselves out or something.
    Of course, they could. It is also possible to break from Disney, if they could find a way.

Marvel used to own Toy Biz. But ironically, Toy Biz not only bought themselves out but also bought Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Box Office Mojo is reporting that Elemental made more money yesterday (Friday) than The Flash did. If that result stays consistent for the rest of the weekend then the Pixar film will in weekend 2 beat the film that outsold it by over 20 million in their opening week. Positive word of mouth does help to some extent, even if it's cold comfort overall.
    Agreed. Those are optimistic estimates. Plus Elemental is now rated as a critical hit. But Pixar can forget it being a commercial hit. They can only hope it will not be a total flop. It is likely the profits will be quite very small for them, but not much of a financial loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Of course, they could. It is also possible to break from Disney, if they could find a way.

Marvel used to own Toy Biz. But ironically, Toy Biz not only bought themselves out but also bought Marvel.
    In doing some quick research in 2004, Pixar decided not to renew their original contract with Disney and their last movie was scheduled to be Cars. But they changed their mind because Disney was going to keep the rights to the movies that Pixar already made in order to make the sequels themselves.

Under the "new" agreement, Pixar became a fully-owned subsidiary of Disney. Disney Animation studios was merged with Pixar while Pixar management was given near total control in the merge.

Which might explain why Disney Animation has taken a step forward while Pixar has taken a step back.

Basically, the creatives at Pixar would all need to leave and make a new studio in order to be free unless Disney decided to spin it off into a separate studio.

Which harkens back to my implied point that I think being part of Disney has dulled the creative output a bit since they don't need to fight for space in the animation world.

Sometimes competition drives success.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-25-2023 at 12:27 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium