Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Titans #2 Discussion/Spoilers

Some things are improving at the very least but not to the point that I would call this "great".

Tom Taylor offers a new installment where he explores more about the dynamic between the cast and in that regard I believe that the job here is solid. The interactions between the characters is well-done and logical based on the years of experience and friendship they share (although I do find a bit forced that Nightwing has his own plans to defeat his friends just like Batman). Plus, this issue offers more content than the opening chapter which is weird but appreciated at least.

On the other hand, while there's more content is not like the story is progressing that much. The "mystery" about Wally's death was quickly ignored after a while because of the quick appearance of Wally himself (I mean, I knew that he wasn't going to stay dead for long but for God's sake, couldn't have they waited a little bit to give this moment some weight). Plus, while the new take on Brother Blood is interesting, I don't really dig that Taylor calls religions "shameless cash grabs" and I don't trust him to actually make a compelling argument about it, it feels like his typical "progressive" material that achieves nothing at the end.

Nicola Scott's artwork is pretty solid in terms of storytelling and expressions but at times feels a little rushed for some reason.

Not bad but yeah, still a mixed bag.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

On the other hand, while there's more content is not like the story is progressing that much. The "mystery" about Wally's death was quickly ignored after a while because of the quick appearance of Wally himself (I mean, I knew that he wasn't going to stay dead for long but for God's sake, couldn't have they waited a little bit to give this moment some weight).

What do you mean? In the previous issue, it was obvious that this is what happened, that it was the Flash from the future who died and Wally from the present was still alive, there was no reason to delay to show that he appears alive

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    What do you mean? In the previous issue, it was obvious that this is what happened, that it was the Flash from the future who died and Wally from the present was still alive, there was no reason to delay to show that he appears alive
    I mean, in terms of actual story it at least does something.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought this was a pretty good issue with a nice balance of character moments and action.

I don't think Wally's death was a great hook as the #1 cliffhanger and as a consequence this new start feels a bit deflated and could have used a little more bang.

That said, there's still a lot to enjoy. Nicola's wonderful art, for starters. A we're just on issue 2 but there's already a number of subplots at play: the Wally story obviously but also Garth's involvement with Brother Eternity, the brewing conflict with Amanda Waller, the mysterious Tamaranean presence on Earth, Raven's "missing part" (set up on Nightwing) - it makes you feel like there's a lot going on even when the pace is somewhat slow, and you can see seeds being planted for future stories.

So overall I'd give this issue a solid 7/10, what it's missing in bite it mostly makes up for in good character interactions and mysteries being introduced, and Nicola Scott's art is breathtakingly beautiful and elevates even the slowest moments.

I don't really get the whole Donna/Kory leadership thing. Donna has always been Dick's second-in-command but then she hesitates and thinks there's some tension with Kory over it? Why?

"We're not kids anymore" judging by that flashback I really wonder what Taylor's conception of the Titans is because he seems to be operating on his own sense of them that begins with them being teenagers and kids as heroes and...not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't really get the whole Donna/Kory leadership thing. Donna has always been Dick's second-in-command but then she hesitates and thinks there's some tension with Kory over it? Why?

"We're not kids anymore" judging by that flashback I really wonder what Taylor's conception of the Titans is because he seems to be operating on his own sense of them that begins with them being teenagers and kids as heroes and...not much else.
    Cause Starfire had the leadership in the Titans Academy era.
    Also, there is zero tension with Kory and Donna.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Cause Starfire had the leadership in the Titans Academy era.
    Also, there is zero tension with Kory and Donna.
    Really? TTA? Not much of a sterling example of Kory's leadership .

I wouldn't say there was tension, it just felt like a weird talking point in the issue.

I guess Aggro Beast Boy is because of the trauma from Slade.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I thought this was a pretty good issue with a nice balance of character moments and action.
    Putting out a Forest Fire by Teleporting Water isn't really something I would call action ...

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Putting out a Forest Fire by Teleporting Water isn't really something I would call action ...
    I don't mind that honestly, I'm sure we'll get supervillain fights soon enough

I’ve never been a Titans follower, but decided to try this.. it’s not bad. The story kept my interest and I like how the characters don’t all feel the same (some writers have this problem in team books). So.. what happened to Starfire’s boobs? She went from a D to an A.. I know different artists blah blah blah but man that jumped out at me. Or, uh, didn’t.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I don't mind that honestly, I'm sure we'll get supervillain fights soon enough
    If I look at Taylor's Nightwing run, I'm not that optimistic...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I’ve never been a Titans follower, but decided to try this.. it’s not bad. The story kept my interest and I like how the characters don’t all feel the same (some writers have this problem in team books). So.. what happened to Starfire’s boobs? She went from a D to an A.. I know different artists blah blah blah but man that jumped out at me. Or, uh, didn’t.
    The characters look in general kind of unimpressive in this issue.

I mean Cyborg looks also kind of slim and tiny in comparison to previous runs. I mean technically he and Kory should completely dwarf the other team members.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    If I look at Taylor's Nightwing run, I'm not that optimistic...
    Two books with different goals.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Mighty Member

I liked the issue, while I hope there will eventually be a big supervillain fights I'm glad that this book have not started this way 'big' superhero team book tend to go from one big would ending event to another these days which can get tedious.

Incredible Member

Only two issues in, enjoying it and patient to see where it goes. But, one thing I would like to see in relatively short order: DC is pushing the Titans as stepping up and replacing the League. Ok, so give them a League-level threat to show that. A Despero, or Apokolips, or Starro, etc. Maybe an Injustice Society (made up of the big boys, not traditional Titans foes) that thinks things are ripe for the picking.