Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Where does Aquaman rank in physical strength in the DC comics universe?

Obviously there's Superman, but where would Arthur fit in with others like Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Shazam, Power Girl, etc?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    Obviously there's Superman, but where would Arthur fit in with others like Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Shazam, Power Girl, etc?
    I don't think he's more physically strong than any the ones you mentioned but he is incredibly strong compared to most heroes, such as Batman, Hawkman, Nightwing, etc...

Living and swimming in the oceans has strengthened his muscles to endure a lot and made him extremely physically strong.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I don't think he's more physically strong than any the ones you mentioned but he is incredibly strong compared to most heroes, such as Batman, Hawkman, Nightwing, etc...

Living and swimming in the oceans has strengthened his muscles to endure a lot and made him extremely physically strong.
    I thought he was Wonder woman level of strength. He can put up a fight with superman and his punches actual hurt him.

Arthur's strength has always been a bit inconsistent, but I figure he's solidly mid-tier in strength; roughly as strong as Superman was in the Golden Age, and in the same broad neighborhood as characters like Spider-Man and Hawkman are today.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

If we try to apply comic book "science" to this, I think Arthur comes in about Namor level strength due to sea pressure and all that. I don't see him as being as strong as any of the characters you mention, though.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harrynorine View Post
    I thought he was Wonder woman level of strength. He can put up a fight with superman and his punches actual hurt him.

Aquaman is basically only remotely that strong when he fights specifically Wonder Woman or Superman, but outside of that he is typically far weaker than them, but he don't truly fits anywhere in because he is at the same time far stronger than the likes of Hawkman or Vixen typically are.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    If we try to apply comic book "science" to this, I think Arthur comes in about Namor level strength due to sea pressure and all that. I don't see him as being as strong as any of the characters you mention, though.
    Glad you mentioned this, because I always thought he'd be comparable to Namor as well. And didn't Namor hold his own against the Sentry?

I've always felt like if Arthur's strength was more defined, it would be cool to see him actually go toe-to-toe with someone like Lobo? He doesn't have to win, mind you, just show that he can be called upon to kick some ass when needed.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Glad you mentioned this, because I always thought he'd be comparable to Namor as well. And didn't Namor hold his own against the Sentry?

I've always felt like if Arthur's strength was more defined, it would be cool to see him actually go toe-to-toe with someone like Lobo? He doesn't have to win, mind you, just show that he can be called upon to kick some ass when needed.
    Arthur & Lobo are cool. Lobo's deep affection for space dolphins gives Aquaman a pass from the Main Man's wrath.
    Johns showed Arthur was strong, but being struck by a bullet DID break his skin (and piss him off).
    It stands to reason, to survive the pressures of the ocean depths that he would be exceptionally strong by comparison on land.
    He'd wipe the floor with most, but not in the Superman or Wonder Woman level hand to hand.
    His trident however also gives him a power upgrade.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Aquaman is basically only remotely that strong when he fights specifically Wonder Woman or Superman, but outside of that he is typically far weaker than them, but he don't truly fits anywhere in because he is at the same time far stronger than the likes of Hawkman or Vixen typically are.
    Since 2011. AQ has a solid case of being stronger than WW bvased on feats. Outside of scaling, he actrually has better quantifiable raw strength feats than current WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Arthur's strength has always been a bit inconsistent, but I figure he's solidly mid-tier in strength; roughly as strong as Superman was in the Golden Age, and in the same broad neighborhood as characters like Spider-Man and Hawkman are today.
    Based on feats. Post Flñashpoi8nt Aquaman is stronger than Post Flashpoint Wonder Woman. So that means Dian is even a lower mid tier than him, if you view Arthur as mid tier. And he is far stronger than the likes of Hawkman based on feats and battle scaling.

Compared to humans, Aquaman is immensely strong physically and his hide is quite tough. He is a scrapper and a noble person with a great sense of duty. However, he is not in that tier of superhuman strength. Can he knock them about, especially early on? Absolutely! He IS superhumanly strong.

It was not that his strength was not defined--it was. It just wasn't defined as that tier. If we use Marvel language, he would be around Class 20-25 as opposed to Namor's Class 80. However, he doesn't need a trident to do battle. His regular Aquaman trappings are more than enough for him to engage Class 100 strength opponents for the simple fact that there are NUMEROUS examples of him having done so. He doesn't need to be made into another character to be awesome. He IS awesome as is.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 06-26-2023 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Compared to humans, Aquaman is immensely strong physically and his hide is quite tough. He is a scrapper and a noble person with a great sense of duty. However, he is not in that tier of superhuman strength. Can he knock them about, especially early on? Absolutely! He IS superhumanly strong.

It was not that his strength was not defined--it was. It just wasn't defined as that tier. If we use Marvel language, he would be around Class 20-25 as opposed to Namor's Class 80. However, he doesn't need a trident to do battle. His regular Aquaman trappings are more than enough for him to engage Class 100 strength opponents for the simple fact that there are NUMEROUS examples of him having done so. He doesn't need to be made into another character to be awesome. He IS awesome as is.
    Aquaman has always been way above 100 ton class based on feats. And he has had better strength feats than Wonder Woman herself post flashpoint. So if anything, Diana is the one that doesn't belong anymore in the Manhunter, Superman tier after 2011.

Extraordinary Member

He can withstand sea pressure and trade blows with wonderwoman so I assume her equal

I've always viewed it as something like this... Superman's the strongest of the Leaguers. Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman are up there right below him. Aquaman and a telekinetically enhanced Martian Manhunter and a Quantum-energized Captain Atom are close. I'd put Red Tornado, Hawkman and Hawkwoman just behind them. Neither Flash nor Plastic Man nor Zatanna nor Atom have super- strength , but their powers can sometimes give them more oomph. At the "bottom" are folks like Batman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Black Lightning, though of course, they're all way stronger because of their training than the average human being. And of course, you have the Green Lanterns, who can use willpower and rings to mimic strength too - and maybe even top Superman when they're on their game. Same - in his own way - with Doctor Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    Aquaman has always been way above 100 ton class based on feats. And he has had better strength feats than Wonder Woman herself post flashpoint. So if anything, Diana is the one that doesn't belong anymore in the Manhunter, Superman tier after 2011.
    Always? No. Not if Superman, WW. Cap, and Jonn are assumed as Class 100. Unless you are not speaking in a general sense but instead considering Flashturd, Geoff John's fanwank. If that is the case, it is easy to see that both Supes and WW were MASSIVELY powered DOWN as compared to their pre GJ fanwank state.

But hey, have a party. The OP asked about standing in the DCU so I assumed general sense.