Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Or a Skrull or a magical duplicate.
    Wait both Peter and MJ turn out to be Skrulls. Boom

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Wait both Peter and MJ turn out to be Skrulls. Boom
    I love it, that said, Marvel Editorial would NEVER allow such a thing because of their precious OMD. I swear, ME is more obsessed with holding onto OMD than Gollum was with holding onto his "precious" an obsession that killed him in the end....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I love it, that said, Marvel Editorial would NEVER allow such a thing because of their precious OMD. I swear, ME is more obsessed with holding onto OMD than Gollum was with holding onto his "precious" an obsession that killed him in the end....
    They were replaced by Skrulls during the Clone Saga. As part of a failed invasion, the only person who figured it out was Norman when he killed who he thought was baby Mayday.

Mighty Member

Looks like I need to pull some people back from the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    I think for me it's more the concern that we won't see her anytime soon. Wells doesn't seem to see updating us on the 2nd main character of this long running franchise as a priority. I figure we'll probably see her, maybe a moment or two, but it really feels like he as a storyteller wants nothing to do with her at this point.
    Normally I'd agree, better to just writer her out/ignore her if they don't know how to/have no desire to write her.

But in this case, I feel it's absolutely necessary we address MJ's character sooner than later. Right now there's this black cloud hanging over her character, and anything/everything she does going forward is going to be colored by that cloud over her head. This isn't as simple as putting Paul/The Kids in a box and moving forward. She lost faith/cheated on Peter in less than a year of him being gone. She's treated him like garbage, to the point she couldn't even refer to him without getting pissed off, for no good reason. She couldn't even look him in the eye as she emotionally destroyed his whole world. This is beyond OOC writing to just sweep under the rug. It needs to be addressed/fixed immediately so MJ needs to come back ASAP so damage control can be done.
    I share your urgency and I totally understand how it feels like it's been forever. But....literally one issue has come out since 26, which he wrote months ago. It feels like the most important thing that should be addressed right away because it is, but he screwed up. And he's super decompressed as a writer. So she's probably not in the next six issues, but that's litereally just two stories. Completely normal for a supporting character to not appear for a couple of stories. She probably IS in these September stories, but only to make her hate Peter more because of Wells' commitment to shock and suspense. So it's going to take time.

But ASM9 still exists. The pointless children are gone. to me Wells' plan seems pretty clear at this point. My guess is that this is some long fall and rise thing. So he takes everything from Peter at the beginning, and then sinks him even further. Instead of getting back MJ in 26 like he should have he wrote NTR. Kamala dies in 26. Then he's gonna get Norman's sins and hurt people and get duped by BC (possibly). And then, when he's beaten down to the bottom, he will finally get a quick rise arc before 50. If he had done a good job I think this would be the common consensus. But he's done such a poor job of it and OMD still exists to we just assume any totally crap issue is a result of just trying to stick a thumb in our eye. But it's far more likely they just did a bad job. Never assume malice where incompetence will suffice. There's a little malice here, of course, but most of this is just incompetence. They misjudged the fanbases tolerance for more MJ crap and he didn't care enough about the details because he misjudged that tolerance. That still means that best case this run is largely a waste of time, overshadowed by MJ's assassination and a lot of poor decisions, but I still maintain that's largely what we're dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    that's probably for the best
    It's sad when we've reached the point we're hoping for characters to be fake clones who die. The whole fake clone who died traumatized me in the 90s series and now it looks like a good ending!

That's if anyone ever does try and fix it. Maybe this is just how Marvel wants MJ to be written from now on.
    i must emphasisze again that it's been literally one issue. This was the reason why 26 was so disheartening. I said then that we weren't getting answers for MONTHS if we didn't get answer there, and I stand by that. I stand by all my crazy theories from that time. I still think Paul is Gay (at least on the good days). But MJ isn't even going to a side character for a while. And once she's starts appearing we're not getting answers on day one. I honestly don't expect any answers until he's in his wrap up phase. So....like 44-46ish? Until then we just gotta buckle in and hope it doesn't get worse. Or completely ignore it as best as possibel because it's not good anyway so why bother with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    BND writers and MJ being horribly written. Name a more iconic pairing.
    BND writers and Peter being horribly written, honestly. At least MJ was gone for a lot of BND. Peter had a bad case of Slott talk for over a decade. Now he's begging Tombstone for mercy like a chump.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    They misjudged the fanbases tolerance for more MJ crap
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Slogan of the book. Lol.

I'll say what I said before, I'd rather they leave MJ alone than write her poorly. Let some other writer who understands and likes her write her comeback.

And if we absolutely need to hit the "clone" button to fix it... I won't be opposed...

"Well, time to go find the REAL Mary Jane..."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Slogan of the book. Lol.

I'll say what I said before, I'd rather they leave MJ alone than write her poorly. Let some other writer who understands and likes her write her comeback.

And if we absolutely need to hit the "clone" button to fix it... I won't be opposed...

I'm sticking with my Skrulls idea, hell I'm starting to figure out how much it actually explains and that's a lot.

Slogan of the book. Lol.

this is the only thing about Mj i remember from the 90s show and the more I remember the more I get mad at Peter for not realizing he married water
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Slogan of the book. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    this is the only thing about Mj i remember from the 90s show and the more I remember the more I get mad at Peter for not realizing he married water
    At the time, he was just so happy and relieved to have her back after thinking she was dead (when she actually fell into an interdimensional portal courtesy of the Time Dilation Accelerator), he didn't really think to question why she had no memory of where she'd been in the time since she vanished. And to be fair, this was an extremely heartbreaking moment, as even a clone of MJ loved Peter every bit as much as the original did, to the point of saying that if any part of her was like the real MJ, she loved Peter Parker more than anything in the world. Those were her last words. No wonder Peter was so damned heartbroken at the end of that episode, and then Madame Web came back, telling him she could help him find the real MJ . . . only he had to save an alien civilization from some of his worst enemies banded together and then save reality itself from himself before that could happen. Shame we didn't get to see it, though.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

They were replaced by Skrulls during the Clone Saga. As part of a failed invasion, the only person who figured it out was Norman when he killed who he thought was baby Mayday.
    That would be a rather dark twist to the already tragic ending of the Clone Saga. But...does that mean the Skrulls have Peter, Mary Jane and the real baby Mayday held in custody on some far off world that was miraculously untouched by The Annihilation Wave?
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    That would be a rather dark twist to the already tragic ending of the Clone Saga. But...does that mean the Skrulls have Peter, Mary Jane and the real baby Mayday held in custody on some far off world that was miraculously untouched by The Annihilation Wave?
    They are in suspended animation in space or in some warehouse in Portland. Oh, and Norman didn't kill the Skull baby in this head canon- rather he noticed it shape shifting. Through some means I haven't BSed, he convinced the Skrull baby that she was the OG Aunt May. May really did die in ASM 400
    Last edited by clonegeek; 06-24-2023 at 07:31 PM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

They are in suspended animation in space or in some warehouse in Portland. Oh, and Norman didn't kill the Skull baby in this head canon- rather he noticed it shape shifting. Through some means I haven't BSed, he convinced the Skrull baby that she was the OG Aunt May. May really did die in ASM 400
    Norman enlisted the aid of Mysterio and the nefarious Hybrid (James Marks) in order to completely and totally brainwash the infant Skrull into believing she was Aunt May.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 06-24-2023 at 07:39 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Looks like I need to pull some people back from the edge.

I share your urgency and I totally understand how it feels like it's been forever. But....literally one issue has come out since 26, which he wrote months ago. It feels like the most important thing that should be addressed right away because it is, but he screwed up. And he's super decompressed as a writer. So she's probably not in the next six issues, but that's literally just two stories. Completely normal for a supporting character to not appear for a couple of stories. She probably IS in these September stories, but only to make her hate Peter more because of Wells' commitment to shock and suspense. So it's going to take time.

But ASM9 still exists. The pointless children are gone. to me Wells' plan seems pretty clear at this point. My guess is that this is some long fall and rise thing. So he takes everything from Peter at the beginning, and then sinks him even further. Instead of getting back MJ in 26 like he should have he wrote NTR. Kamala dies in 26. Then he's gonna get Norman's sins and hurt people and get duped by BC (possibly). And then, when he's beaten down to the bottom, he will finally get a quick rise arc before 50. If he had done a good job I think this would be the common consensus. But he's done such a poor job of it and OMD still exists to we just assume any totally crap issue is a result of just trying to stick a thumb in our eye. But it's far more likely they just did a bad job. Never assume malice where incompetence will suffice. There's a little malice here, of course, but most of this is just incompetence. They misjudged the fanbases tolerance for more MJ crap and he didn't care enough about the details because he misjudged that tolerance. That still means that best case this run is largely a waste of time, overshadowed by MJ's assassination and a lot of poor decisions, but I still maintain that's largely what we're dealing with.

i must emphasize again that it's been literally one issue. This was the reason why 26 was so disheartening. I said then that we weren't getting answers for MONTHS if we didn't get answer there, and I stand by that. I stand by all my crazy theories from that time. I still think Paul is Gay (at least on the good days). But MJ isn't even going to a side character for a while. And once she's starts appearing we're not getting answers on day one. I honestly don't expect any answers until he's in his wrap up phase. So....like 44-46ish? Until then we just gotta buckle in and hope it doesn't get worse. Or completely ignore it as best as possible because it's not good anyway so why bother with it?
    You are correct, I am definitely rather doom and gloom after just one issue and it's easy to lose perspective on that. I thought I was fairly chill and had this behind me, but just thinking about MJ right now sours my mood instantly. It just feels like to me, the most important character in the series (next to that Peter fella I suppose) who just went through something insanely traumatic is being totally ignored and that's ridiculous. Her behavior unexplained and likely to not improve whenever we do see her. It's just really disheartening stuff and without any answers about where she stands right now it makes everything more shakey and frustrating. Like I'm holding my breathe and then being told to do so for months.

If this is a fall and rise story, I hope it goes down as the worst one in Marvel history and no other writer dares try this kind of stunt again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Norman enlisted the aid of Mysterio and the nefarious Hybrid (James Marks) in order to completely and totally brainwash the infant Skrull into believing she was Aunt May.
    Which then makes OMD make more sense in someway because Skrull Peter and MJ aren't selling their marriage to save an elderly Aunt May, they are selling it to save their daughter. The daughter that Mephisto shows they will never have IS the Skrull baby. Mephisto tricked them.

The whole thing oddly makes more sense as you go down that logic hole, hell I think this is something that anyone at Marvel could logically come to.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Look we all know Marvel's slogan you don't have to drill it into us company man.

Slogan of the book. Lol.

Seriously I hated all clone stories for most of my life purely because of that series. Tragedy of an ending.

You are correct, I am definitely rather doom and gloom after just one issue and it's easy to lose perspective on that. I thought I was fairly chill and had this behind me, but just thinking about MJ right now sours my mood instantly. It just feels like to me, the most important character in the series (next to that Peter fella I suppose) who just went through something insanely traumatic is being totally ignored and that's ridiculous. Her behavior unexplained and likely to not improve whenever we do see her. It's just really disheartening stuff and without any answers about where she stands right now it makes everything more shakey and frustrating. Like I'm holding my breathe and then being told to do so for months.

If this is a fall and rise story, I hope it goes down as the worst one in Marvel history and no other writer dares try this kind of stunt again.
    Poorly received stories do have an effect. We never got another Carlie Cooper. They never had Peter hook up with anyone after the Michelle thing (and walked that back to an unreasonable degree). I'd say we didn't get another sidekick attempt after Alpha but Slott still seems stuck on it with Spider-Boy. And this should make them think twice about breaking them up. Maybe they'll still do it, maybe they just won't let them progress and waste more time, but it's a further backing into a corner. It's like they don't believe the stories will be bad until they actually print them and everyone calls it bad. I literally was saying this stuff twelve years ago (as were others, of course) to Slott and Wacker but instead we had to waste another decade of Spider-Man on this crap.

But...rant aside, the time thing is important to remember. Amongst his other flaws Wells is an incredibly decompressed writer. DL was a two issue story spread to six. Whether it's good or bad I guarantee he'll be dealing with MJ again, and "soon" in the sense that she's just a few issues away and only a couple stories. But it's a comic book that only comes out once every three weeks and so that's three months away. ANd like I said i don't expect answers until the very end of his run, which means we're basically another 9 months away from getting any MJ resolution. And that sucks, but it's better to get that expectation in our heads now so we know that these other issues are probably not important (though they could make it worse which is why I can't quite just ignore everything).

Which then makes OMD make more sense in someway because Skrull Peter and MJ aren't selling their marriage to save an elderly Aunt May, they are selling it to save their daughter. The daughter that Mephisto shows they will never have IS the Skrull baby. Mephisto tricked them.

The whole thing oddly makes more sense as you go down that logic hole, hell I think this is something that anyone at Marvel could logically come to.