Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Astonishing Member

WGA Leaders Tell Members Not to Get Hopes Up After AMPTP Overture

Leaders of the Writers Guild of America expressed cautious optimism on Wednesday about a move to resume bargaining, but said they are still ready to stay on strike over the long haul.

The head of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers called the WGA’s chief negotiator on Tuesday to set up a Friday meeting to discuss how to proceed.

“It’s a meeting to discuss meeting,” said John Rogers, a member of the WGA negotiating committee, who was picketing outside Warner Bros. on Wednesday morning. “We’re trying to urge members to remember that this is a great first step, but not to get your hopes up too much.”

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Be okay with them cancelling all those award shows.
    I cancelled them from my viewing habits a decade+ ago.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Writers Guild Reaches Tentative Agreement With Studios and Streamers

After several long consecutive days of negotiations, the Writers Guild of America and the labor group representing studios and streamers have reached a tentative deal on a new contract in a major development that could precipitate the end of a historic, 146-day writers strike.

The Writers Guild of America emailed strike captains the news on Sunday night, and shortly after, its negotiating committee informed all members. “We have reached a tentative agreement on a new 2023 MBA, which is to say an agreement in principle on all deal points, subject to drafting final contract language,” the latter message stated. “We can say, with great pride, that this deal is exceptional — with meaningful gains and protections for writers in every sector of the membership.”

Extraordinary Member

Well, now I suppose it's the Actor's strike that has to be solved. Perhaps this will point to the way for the actors. I hope this doesn't interfere with putting Monday Night Football on ABC, (they did it because of the strike---they had to put up something).

Just in time for the video game voice actor strike! Really. They may strike!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Ugh I hope that can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Ugh I hope that can be avoided.
    Video game industry needs labor reforms worse than Hollywood IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

No doubt the video game industry will try to use AI to mimic actors voices for future games, eliminating the actors. They should strike to stop this. If they don't they will be out of work in the near future. The use for anybody's likeness or voice without consent or compensation should be outlawed.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, now I suppose it's the Actor's strike that has to be solved. Perhaps this will point to the way for the actors. I hope this doesn't interfere with putting Monday Night Football on ABC, (they did it because of the strike---they had to put up something).
    I doubt it. It'll be a while before they get up to snuff, even if they reach a deal today

I follow some AI focused threads on Reddit & the thought is we won’t need actors much longer anyway. We’ll be able to create our own films through AI. No more Hollywood productions. Our entertainment will be customized to our own desires. I’ve also read about the desire to immerse yourself in a virtual reality so good that you won’t want to leave. I’m not sure how I feel about any of these ideas but they’re out there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I follow some AI focused threads on Reddit & the thought is we won’t need actors much longer anyway. We’ll be able to create our own films through AI. No more Hollywood productions. Our entertainment will be customized to our own desires. I’ve also read about the desire to immerse yourself in a virtual reality so good that you won’t want to leave. I’m not sure how I feel about any of these ideas but they’re out there.
    I think that, factually speaking, they’re vastly underestimating the amount of time it will take to reach a full-on “Star Trek Holodeck” level of smart AI - as well as making a massive assumption that “we” or “our” will be the ones enjoying that, given the purely mercenary motives behind people interesting financing that level of AI. That’s not going to happen in any good way in a capitalistic society, and would be more likely to happen for a surviving and shallow elite in some apocalypse scenario than in any mass market if money-making is still the goal. If you want that level of entertainment for everyone, than those tech dudes should spend more time thinking of a post-capitalist society.

The vast super-majority of AI generated art and entertainment is more replant than tolerable to experience, let alone entertaining, and aside from static images and AI voices still built off real people’s direction and instinctual acting, which is still very inconsistent, nothing of the more complex art has yet to actually succeed at all.

Plus… I think too many people *do* understand the reciprocal and social nature of entertainment and art to actually tolerate replacing it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

If posting a link to Reddit is wrong I apologize. This is the stuff I see everyday. I personally don’t want to actually live in a virtual reality but a lot do. Most of the comments I see center around being able to create your own films or tv series. I don’t want to derail a thread but I don’t know where to go with that type of thinking.

https://reddit.com/r/singularity/s/CutpJNgcjL
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 10-02-2023 at 06:58 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    If posting a link to Reddit is wrong I apologize. This is the stuff I see everyday. I personally don’t want to actually live in a virtual reality but a lot do. Most of the comments I see center around being able to create your own films or tv series. I don’t want to derail a thread but I don’t know where to go with that type of thinking.

https://reddit.com/r/singularity/s/CutpJNgcjL
    Not wrong. It's an opinion.

It's an intriguing notion. I agree with godisawesome that we're still a ways from that capability.

It also interesting the risk you point out is basically part of the plot of Gene Roddenberry's "The Cage."