Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Why can't some Marvel heroes become Avengers?

Whether it is Wolverine, Spider Man or Moon Knight, why can't some Marvel heroes become Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Whether it is Wolverine, Spider Man or Moon Knight, why can't some Marvel heroes become Avengers?
    All 3 have been avengers
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    LOL! You're better off asking why Eddie Brock (Venom), Remy LeBeau (Gambit) or Frank Castle (The Punisher) can't become Avengers...

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-24-2023 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

Yeaaaah. Just about everybody gets to be an Avenger. Once upon a time there was a big deal about The Avengers being an elite group. I remember especially a panel back in the Avengers Defenders event back in the seventies about how there have only been 14 Avengers. I miss the days when they were an elite Corp.If you’re familiar with my other posts on here, You might find that odd coming from me given how often I post in the Pick your Own Avengers dream roster thread. In fact, I used to post so often over there that several of our other members were driven mad and are now residing at Arkham. What’s Marvel to do? How would they ever keep the book Fresh without frequently adding new recruits? Maybe have a main set roster of up to 9 or 10 and then have a half dozen or so reservists to play substitute?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    LOL! You're better off asking why Eddie Brock (Venom), Remy LeBeau (Gambit) or Frank Castle (The Punisher) can't become Avengers...

Venom and Punisher have both been Avengers.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Venom has, but it wasn't Eddie Brock, it was Mac Gargan, the Scorpion, as Dark Spider-Man in Dark Avengers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Venom has, but it wasn't Eddie Brock, it was Mac Gargan, the Scorpion, as Dark Spider-Man in Dark Avengers.
    and Flash as Agent Venom in Secret Avengers. Recruited by Steve Rogers.

I don't think Avengers membership needs to be this nearly unattainable holy grail of superherodom...but they do need to put in their dues and be established heroes before they get membership. Like the situation with Justice and Firestar. They both had long histories in the comics as heroes before they joined.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 06-24-2023 at 04:15 AM.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    and Flash as Agent Venom in Secret Avengers. Recruited by Steve Rogers.

I don't think Avengers membership needs to be this nearly unattainable holy grail of superherodom...but they do need to put in their dues and be established heroes before they get membership. Like the situation with Justice and Firestar. They both had long histories in the comics as heroes before they joined.
    This. The Avengers title should be something a hero can obtain after they put in the work and establish themselves as a name. It shouldn't be a ceiling the average hero can never reach. One of my issues during All New All Different era was how nonchalant members were added. Justice and Firestar are a prime examples of earning that Avengers rank. They also need to clarify what they allow. In one era they don't allow kids/teens then they suddenly do, but now they don't again. Did the Avengers harass Kamala and Miles parents like they did the YA? And then Hawkeye talks about not working with killers but Wolverine has membership and to my understanding was brought on to prevent another Scarlet Witch incident. I know different writers add their own rules but this has made Avengers membership so contradictory.

It wouldn't hurt to bring back a "Avengers Academy" and rebrand it for training potential Avenger cadets and give them a chance to graduate onto the team. A Avengers B-squad if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    This. The Avengers title should be something a hero can obtain after they put in the work and establish themselves as a name. It shouldn't be a ceiling the average hero can never reach. One of my issues during All New All Different era was how nonchalant members were added. Justice and Firestar are a prime examples of earning that Avengers rank. They also need to clarify what they allow. In one era they don't allow kids/teens then they suddenly do, but now they don't again. Did the Avengers harass Kamala and Miles parents like they did the YA? And then Hawkeye talks about not working with killers but Wolverine has membership and to my understanding was brought on to prevent another Scarlet Witch incident. I know different writers add their own rules but this has made Avengers membership so contradictory.

It wouldn't hurt to bring back a "Avengers Academy" and rebrand it for training potential Avenger cadets and give them a chance to graduate onto the team. A Avengers B-squad if you will.
    I would love to have an issue that's just the Avengers sitting down, and re-establishing their charter and by-laws and discussing them. They also need to address all these other Avengers spin-off teams that never really got approval.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I would love to have an issue that's just the Avengers sitting down, and re-establishing their charter and by-laws and discussing them. They also need to address all these other Avengers spin-off teams that never really got approval.
    And put out a revision to the Charter.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Savage Avengers had Eddie. But I forgot about the other two.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Depends of what counts as official Avengers. Should the Savage Avengers, or the Avengers Resistance from Dark Reign era, or Osborn's Dark Avengers be considered as Avengers?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    This. The Avengers title should be something a hero can obtain after they put in the work and establish themselves as a name. It shouldn't be a ceiling the average hero can never reach. One of my issues during All New All Different era was how nonchalant members were added. Justice and Firestar are a prime examples of earning that Avengers rank. They also need to clarify what they allow. In one era they don't allow kids/teens then they suddenly do, but now they don't again. Did the Avengers harass Kamala and Miles parents like they did the YA?
    They didn't even know their secret identities. Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, Nova and Thor all had secret identities and they were never revealed to the team.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-24-2023 at 11:08 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

To me, the Avengers are just whoever Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor can draft to save the world from the latest invasion or whatever.

The perfect defining Avengers moment, to me, is when Iron Man does a little knighting ceremony to Spider-Man in "Infinity War", and it's obvious that Stark isn't taking it seriously, whereas Parker is deeply honored.

Any reputation the Avengers have for being the elite of the elite is little more than a combination of Captain America's public reputation, Stark's marketing department, and Thor literally having been worshiped for centuries. The Big Three know that they are just drafting whoever they can when the world is in danger, but if it makes the public more calm to think of the Avengers as the best of the best, they aren't going to disabuse them of the notion.

I remember an issue where before Namor becomes a hero that he was asked to be an Avenger when the original Avengers took their first break. In the Caps kooky quartet era. He declined them but talked about what an honor it was just to be asked. I miss those days. Some times the Avengers are like a Whos Who of Who is that?

I remember Daredevil said he couldnt be an Avenger because all the people so close to him over loaded his senses. I am not sure if that is the case or if he joined later. I know he teamed up with them a few times.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.