Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Teresa Parker / Bluebird

What's up with Peter's sister, Teresa?
    Should she get a codename (Sally Avril's Bluebird is available) and team up with the Slingers or any of the three Scarlet Spiders?

She should join Fury's new SHIELD.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

She should stay in the spy world, and occasionally pop up to visit Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I disagree. What is great about Theresa is she is a blank slate. There is a lot of new stuff that can be explored with her. One of the big problems with ASM is there is little that has not been done already so it is being repeated. The return of Superior for instance or first bad Ben now bad Peter.

I would rather her stay a spy. She needs her own mini to flesh out her time in Shield. I think that would be great and there is enough interest in her that it would sell.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Clone View Post
    What's up with Peter's sister, Teresa?
    Should she get a codename (Sally Avril's Bluebird is available) and team up with the Slingers or any of the three Scarlet Spiders?
    The problem with the name Bluebird is that it's also the codename of a Batman sidekick, Harper Row.

Anyway, I agree, just do spy stories. Maybe Teresa can join the new SHIELD that Maria Hill just recruited Nick Fury Jr for.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I’d say she’d be great for doing spy businesses, getting to follow in their parent’s’ footsteps. And for the love of God, bury that Chameleon thing and never speak of it again. If so many Marvel characters can be allowed to have kids but Marvel won’t let Peter, at least let him keep his sister.

Every superhero with a civilian ID should have a sister who is a superspy type to pull them out of their normal environment from time to time. That goes double if like Peter one of their themes is being pulled in too many directions at once.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Mighty Member

I was fine with Theresa when she wasn't actaully Peter's sister. I'm fine with Spencer retcon of the retcon there. Assuming that holds I think she could make a decent side character in the Spider-Man stories. While she may not actually be his sister, they still grew to have some relationship and she can still be a close friend. God knows the book needs more actually consistent supporting characters at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I was fine with Theresa when she wasn't actaully Peter's sister. I'm fine with Spencer retcon of the retcon there. Assuming that holds I think she could make a decent side character in the Spider-Man stories. While she may not actually be his sister, they still grew to have some relationship and she can still be a close friend. God knows the book needs more actually consistent supporting characters at this point.
    This, I couldn't agree more.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Theresa has a good design

I can never really wrap my head around the sentiment of hating Teresa as Peter’s sister. The likes of Eddie or Deadpool are allowed to have secret children who become a major focus of runs that they appear in and numerous other characters are allowed to have further ripples revealed about them but somehow Peter being given a sister is a bridge too far. The entire sentiment just feels to me like a symptom of the problem that everything about Peter has to be preserved in amber and as such nothing about his life is allowed to evolve which keeps putting him in that same circle that Marvel has where any time he grows beyond it, they just shove him right back into it. I personally find the concept of him having a sister who followed in their parents’ footsteps to become a spy to be an interesting angle and one that doesn’t step on Peter’s toes by making her just another spider, which people seem to also complain about. After over 60 years of the same, it’s nice to see some evolution in Peter’s family. He’s got plenty of friends, let him have some more family.

Naw. First, the idea of Teresa goes back to one my more hated arcs: Parker's Parents are Super Spies. Any time the story dives into Parker's Parents and them being Super Important People, and his sister being a Super Spy and Involved In Super Spying being a call back to that, it's genuinely awful. His parents shouldn't matter except for their absence. No specialness, no special heritage, no bloodline of genius or heroics.

That's it.

Every time the plot makes them the center of attention, it weakens actually solid and good things about Parker's backstory, relatable things that are better for being there than we've gotten every time they do something with this.

Teresa's individual stories may fine and well written, the little I've seen of her are, but I think she undercuts specific narrative and thematic aspects of Spidey's background and I don't like it.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-24-2023 at 09:50 PM.

And again, that kind of thing only serves to shove Peter into a box that he can never hope to evolve from no matter how the rest of the MU changes around him. Eddie Brock is basically now a cosmic god, mutantkind has become a world power and conquered death, Luke Cage is the mayor of New York, the F4 are the ones directly responsible for the fact that there even is a multiverse again and yet somehow Peter having spy parents is a bridge too far in this grand universe because he’s forced to be the “relatable everyman”. There comes a point where things are held too religiously. And honestly, in a world where we have **** like OMD, Sin’s Past (even if it has been retconned) and this current run, that’s small potatoes.