Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    And again, that kind of thing only serves to shove Peter into a box that he can never hope to evolve from no matter how the rest of the MU changes around him. Eddie Brock is basically now a cosmic god, mutantkind has become a world power and conquered death, Luke Cage is the mayor of New York, the F4 are the ones directly responsible for the fact that there even is a multiverse again and yet somehow Peter having spy parents is a bridge too far in this grand universe because he’s forced to be the “relatable everyman”. There comes a point where things are held too religiously. And honestly, in a world where we have **** like OMD, Sin’s Past (even if it has been retconned) and this current run, that’s small potatoes.
    I agree with you Theresa being his sister isn’t some crazy huge change but people can’t handle it. Those same people can’t handle him owning a company and becoming a bigger presence in the marvel universe. I don’t know what growth they want him besides married and having a kid
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

I’d rather see he back as his sis, even if I think making her and their parents more “coffee and stale beer” spies over “martini and tuxedo” spies would be a good idea.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I think the spy thing is dumb, personally.

I like Teresa as a character but I also don't think Peter needs a sister. I don't think any writer have really done much beyond just say "she's your sister" besides Teresa being a very distinct character.

I do dislike the idea that Peter's parents were spies or anything much connected to the heroic side of Peter's life. But Lee did it so I don't think it can be retconned out. Anyway, if Peter's parents have to have been spies, one may as well make the best of it. Giving Peter a sister who can plot hook him into that world is making some good come out of it.
    I don't dislike the idea nearly as much as I dislike the idea from the Garfield films that Peter's parents set up the spider to give powers to people with Parker DNA.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the spy thing is dumb, personally.

I like Teresa as a character but I also don't think Peter needs a sister. I don't think any writer have really done much beyond just say "she's your sister" besides Teresa being a very distinct character.
    Well that is a very realistic thing when it comes to 2 siblings who have only recently met in their adult lives. It’s not like we’re going to see them suddenly become like Sue and Johnny just because they’ve found out this connection. Really, what Spencer had in his early run with her getting to know Aunt May as herself without yet revealing that she is her niece was good. She doesn’t have to be a constant in Peter’s supporting cast as she has her own life and happenings going on so even her dropping in every now and again works overall.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I agree with you Theresa being his sister isn’t some crazy huge change but people can’t handle it. Those same people can’t handle him owning a company and becoming a bigger presence in the marvel universe. I don’t know what growth they want him besides married and having a kid
    To have a career and no money troubles, to have a good work/life balance so we can see his life outside the suit, to be treated like a responsible adult by the creative teams.

As far as Teresa...I like her. And as I said about her when she was brought back in the Spectacular run and got her wings she should have been given a mask and name at the time since she was A. running around with Spidey and Torch and B. because she was a fugitive at the time.

I would look at some sort of predatory bird for her codename.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    She should join Fury's new SHIELD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    She should stay in the spy world, and occasionally pop up to visit Peter.
    These work for me.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 06-25-2023 at 09:12 AM.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I do dislike the idea that Peter's parents were spies or anything much connected to the heroic side of Peter's life. But Lee did it so I don't think it can be retconned out. Anyway, if Peter's parents have to have been spies, one may as well make the best of it. Giving Peter a sister who can plot hook him into that world is making some good come out of it.
    I don't dislike the idea nearly as much as I dislike the idea from the Garfield films that Peter's parents set up the spider to give powers to people with Parker DNA.
    Yeah, that was even worse. Anything that speaks of predestination with Spider-Man is just not good imo. Not a fan of the 'chosen one' and the 'web of life and destiny' either. xD

Extraordinary Member

I can never really wrap my head around the sentiment of hating Teresa as Peter’s sister. The likes of Eddie or Deadpool are allowed to have secret children who become a major focus of runs that they appear in and numerous other characters are allowed to have further ripples revealed about them but somehow Peter being given a sister is a bridge too far. The entire sentiment just feels to me like a symptom of the problem that everything about Peter has to be preserved in amber and as such nothing about his life is allowed to evolve which keeps putting him in that same circle that Marvel has where any time he grows beyond it, they just shove him right back into it. I personally find the concept of him having a sister who followed in their parents’ footsteps to become a spy to be an interesting angle and one that doesn’t step on Peter’s toes by making her just another spider, which people seem to also complain about. After over 60 years of the same, it’s nice to see some evolution in Peter’s family. He’s got plenty of friends, let him have some more family.
    Between the hint at the end of Family Business and then making it a thing in Spectacular...that should have been the end of it. She is his sister. Have Reed do a DNA test and just make that the be all end all of is she is or is she ain't.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Astonishing Member

WTF, Peter had a sister?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    WTF, Peter had a sister?
    Maybe.

They've kept it ambiguous. (Or at least it was ambiguous the last time they used her.)

Mighty Member

I can never really wrap my head around the sentiment of hating Teresa as Peter’s sister. The likes of Eddie or Deadpool are allowed to have secret children who become a major focus of runs that they appear in and numerous other characters are allowed to have further ripples revealed about them but somehow Peter being given a sister is a bridge too far. The entire sentiment just feels to me like a symptom of the problem that everything about Peter has to be preserved in amber and as such nothing about his life is allowed to evolve which keeps putting him in that same circle that Marvel has where any time he grows beyond it, they just shove him right back into it. I personally find the concept of him having a sister who followed in their parents’ footsteps to become a spy to be an interesting angle and one that doesn’t step on Peter’s toes by making her just another spider, which people seem to also complain about. After over 60 years of the same, it’s nice to see some evolution in Peter’s family. He’s got plenty of friends, let him have some more family.
    It just kind of strains the limits of credulity for me. Like Peter was left by his parents with Aunt May and Uncle Ben to go on a mission where' they died. But now it's that they went on that mission, Mary got pregnant, they lived long enough to have another kid and then leave that kid in a foreign land? Sorry I can't remmber all the details from FAmily business, but it's just a little too wacky for me. And once she's there you cna't just ignore her like they've been dong. If she's his sister she should be around most of the time. Family is very important to Peter. She wouldn't just be an occasional presence, she would be a major supporting character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Actually finish school, get a real job. Create some invention. Tell Aunt May he's Spider-Man of his own volition. Who knows what else. But you have to do it right and I think it should be forward facing. The problem with Parker industries is that it was this huge mega corp that Peter didn't even set up. It wsan't his growth, it was a gift from Otto. Just like his degree. That was always the problem with those 'advancements" they weren't his.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    It just kind of strains the limits of credulity for me. Like Peter was left by his parents with Aunt May and Uncle Ben to go on a mission where' they died. But now it's that they went on that mission, Mary got pregnant, they lived long enough to have another kid and then leave that kid in a foreign land? Sorry I can't remmber all the details from FAmily business, but it's just a little too wacky for me. And once she's there you cna't just ignore her like they've been dong. If she's his sister she should be around most of the time. Family is very important to Peter. She wouldn't just be an occasional presence, she would be a major supporting character.

Actually finish school, get a real job. Create some invention. Tell Aunt May he's Spider-Man of his own volition. Who knows what else. But you have to do it right and I think it should be forward facing. The problem with Parker industries is that it was this huge mega corp that Peter didn't even set up. It wsan't his growth, it was a gift from Otto. Just like his degree. That was always the problem with those 'advancements" they weren't his.
    As for Teresa...she doesn't necessarily have to be around constantly. She is an adult with her own life. And if she is a spy she may very well be assigned outside the country. To have absolutely no contact with Peter is a problem for me. As his sister she should show up from time to time and just do family stuff not have them fight some villain she needs help with.

Or if Peter gets pulled into some spy stuff it should not be about him doing spy stuff but because Teresa was captured and has been disavowed...so she set up a fail safe that sent Peter the information on where she was and he goes to rescue her...maybe even establishing that Peter has a different costume that he uses so it is not Spider-Man coming to rescue her.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    To have a career and no money troubles, to have a good work/life balance so we can see his life outside the suit, to be treated like a responsible adult by the creative teams.
    I would go for the career, enough of a work/life balance to see his life outside the suit, and being treated as a responsible adult and an experienced superhero - which is not to say perfect.
    Money troubles: Peter shouldn't have egregious money troubles. But most people who are twenty somethings have money troubles of one kind. So should Peter.
    Work/life balance: being Spider-man gets in the way of Peter's civilian life and therefore causes conflict. That means that yes, Peter should have at least enough of a civilian life that being Spider-man can get in the way.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    WTF, Peter had a sister?
    in Mark Wait's OGN Family Business, it's revealed that Richard and Mary had a second child before they died while they were away on mission. This child was never told to anyone, grew up, joined Shield, and was doing spy stuff that eventually Peter got roped into. The end of the story, however, revealed that Teresa was not actually Peter's sister, she was an unrelated woman who had memories implanted as they needed Peter for something. However, in Zdarsky's run on Spectacular, he revealed that actdually she WAS his sister and they started treating her like that. However, in "The Chameleon Conspiracy" by Nick Spencer, it was implied that no she wasn't his sister and that evidence was faked....but they never really followed up on that (AFAIK that was her last appearance). And it wasn't outright proven that her original proof was false just...heavily implied to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    As for Teresa...she doesn't necessarily have to be around constantly. She is an adult with her own life. And if she is a spy she may very well be assigned outside the country. To have absolutely no contact with Peter is a problem for me. As his sister she should show up from time to time and just do family stuff not have them fight some villain she needs help with.

Or if Peter gets pulled into some spy stuff it should not be about him doing spy stuff but because Teresa was captured and has been disavowed...so she set up a fail safe that sent Peter the information on where she was and he goes to rescue her...maybe even establishing that Peter has a different costume that he uses so it is not Spider-Man coming to rescue her.
    I guess it's true that she doesn't have to be around CONSTNATLY, but I do think you have to make her a much bigger part of Peter's life because Peter would insist upon that. He has always been a very family first character, it's just that his family has generally been limited to Aunt May and Mary Jane, and they took Mary Jane away from him. For him, getting another family member would be a huge thing that he wouldn't' let go of easily.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    in Mark Wait's OGN Family Business, it's revealed that Richard and Mary had a second child before they died while they were away on mission. This child was never told to anyone, grew up, joined Shield, and was doing spy stuff that eventually Peter got roped into. The end of the story, however, revealed that Teresa was not actually Peter's sister, she was an unrelated woman who had memories implanted as they needed Peter for something. However, in Zdarsky's run on Spectacular, he revealed that actdually she WAS his sister and they started treating her like that. However, in "The Chameleon Conspiracy" by Nick Spencer, it was implied that no she wasn't his sister and that evidence was faked....but they never really followed up on that (AFAIK that was her last appearance). And it wasn't outright proven that her original proof was false just...heavily implied to be.

I guess it's true that she doesn't have to be around CONSTNATLY, but I do think you have to make her a much bigger part of Peter's life because Peter would insist upon that. He has always been a very family first character, it's just that his family has generally been limited to Aunt May and Mary Jane, and they took Mary Jane away from him. For him, getting another family member would be a huge thing that he wouldn't' let go of easily.
    If she is put with the new SHIELD and is stationed in NYC then sure...they should be shown to be in regular contact when she is not on assignment. But...to me at least...it should not be them teaming up for super heroics. This is where me wanting to see Peter have a personal life with family and friends and not constant Spidey action. In the past it seemed like Teresa would show up because she needed Peter's help with work...how about his sister just reaches out to go to lunch or catch a Yankees game?