Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this beyond Real World Combat ability?

Simple questions. Is this boxer from Bloodhounds good enough to take on any real world fighter?

Besides the above video he and his friend have a scene in the subway where they take on maybe 2 dozens guys armed with metal bats. They manage to win after a 3rd person comes in to help, though they take quite a beating.
    Last edited by Marvel-Studios Rep; 06-24-2023 at 08:31 PM.

I still need to finish this show, still got 4 episodes left before I got distracted

It doesn't seem beyond human ability to me at least. Probably a little lucky to not get swarmed in instants but what's shown doesn't seem impossible. In particular, I'm more curious on if it's realistic that in the fight right after this scene when he fights a dude several weight classes above him that he basically does chip damage against him because he's just portrayed as too big and tough. Obviously weight classes are a thing but I wondered if it would be that much of a differential IRL

On a side note, not sure if it's more or less realistic that everybody after a few minutes past this scene recovers and stands up again although they don't fight. That aspect felt interesting though either way compared to "guys are knocked out for hours".
    Last edited by Postmania; 06-24-2023 at 08:53 PM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

What show is it?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I still need to finish this show, still got 4 episodes left before I got distracted

It doesn't seem beyond human ability to me at least. Probably a little lucky to not get swarmed in instants but what's shown doesn't seem impossible. In particular, I'm more curious on if it's realistic that in the fight right after this scene when he fights a dude several weight classes above him that he basically does chip damage against him because he's just portrayed as too big and tough. Obviously weight classes are a thing but I wondered if it would be that much of a differential IRL

On a side note, not sure if it's more or less realistic that everybody after a few minutes past this scene recovers and stands up again although they don't fight. That aspect felt interesting though either way compared to "guys are knocked out for hours".
    It's hard to say.

Like a lot of Korean fight scenes in their TV shows, it's mostly good (I mean, there are some interesting fight sequences in Crash Landing). The big issue is the damage soak (central characters soak up ridiculous damage in Korean shows...but that's not limited to Korean stuff, they do in all kinds of movies and TV).

Also, there's the business of 'guy grabs boxer by leg, then just hangs on while the other two punch him instead of dragging him to the ground'.

So, there's stuff in it that when you look more closely is pretty contrived. The lack of swarming and such is problematic, though at least we get scenes where multiple people attack at the same time or at least consecutively, etc. Real world, that would be a huge problem SO LONG AS the group is actually dedicated to fighting. If they were hesitant, needed to work themselves up, etc, it's possible for one guy to deal with them in detail.

I've seen CCTV camera footage of one guy just demolishing three guys, simply because they weren't 100% committed (they were okay starting the fight, but didn't like the fact that they were getting hit) and he WAS committed...and, ironically, an amateur boxer.

As for the weight classes thing, like everything else it's exaggerated. A big guy can certainly take hits from a little guy better than the little guy takes hits from the big one, all things considered. I've had bigger dudes blatantly ignore my body shots to punch me in the face, not a great situation. But yeah, there's an exaggeration happening here; the difference in size is big, sure, but we're talking about a boxer who is one-shotting 95% of his opposition. With body shots. And he's punching this guy in the face and getting little-to-nothing.

However, the boxing is fun, I like the footwork and movement, it's not completely out-to-lunch with regards to reality.

Once we get into them winning fights against tons of armed opponents, though, that's wandering into the bullshit territory, especially with their ability to eat the damage.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I always assume that mooks having 1 hp is less them getting KO'd and more them taking exactly enough hits to collect their paycheque.

Real world, that would be a huge problem SO LONG AS the group is actually dedicated to fighting.
    This is a real issue. "Real" one-beats-many fights that you actually hear about or see usually involve a lot of like, headbutting one guy so hard that everybody else kind of doesn't really want to be involved anymore, if they ever did. And that's the more common situation, really. Like there's been at least one court case over cops refusing to get close to a guy with a knife who was actively stabbing someone. So even allegedly trained, armed, and paid people aren't necessarily committed. The biggest fantasy of movie fighting is mook chivalry.

Anyway, I think Old Boy's hallway scene, while not necessarily "realistic," gives a good depiction of what that kind of situation might resemble. All the guys running at Daesu start backing up the second they see that hammer actually hit someone. They crowd around when he's on the floor and nervously approach when he's up. Guy who picks up the hammer swinging it two feet short of Daesu is a good bit. My favourite is the big guy at the end realising no one is behind him and going "oops oh ow my leg darn."
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I've seen CCTV camera footage of one guy just demolishing three guys, simply because they weren't 100% committed (they were okay starting the fight, but didn't like the fact that they were getting hit) and he WAS committed...and, ironically, an amateur boxer.
    I remember seeing that video. It's things like that that do make me edge on the "well, it could happen, if they all fought this way specifically." but ultimately it is still an action movie so there will be some fantasy in there. Still better than most for me.
    As for the weight classes thing, like everything else it's exaggerated. A big guy can certainly take hits from a little guy better than the little guy takes hits from the big one, all things considered. I've had bigger dudes blatantly ignore my body shots to punch me in the face, not a great situation. But yeah, there's an exaggeration happening here; the difference in size is big, sure, but we're talking about a boxer who is one-shotting 95% of his opposition. With body shots. And he's punching this guy in the face and getting little-to-nothing.
    Yeah I thought that was a bit much, but was curious if someone who was that much bigger could really soak in any way close to that at the time of watching. It didn't seem so, but I didn't know lol

Once we get into them winning fights against tons of armed opponents, though, that's wandering into the bullshit territory, especially with their ability to eat the damage.
    I liked the scene for the way that it wasn't "protagonists are just so outstandingly skilled they can avoid and parry everything, they are actually getting hit when they are surrounded by multiple people with weapons and reach" but also "they probably would go down now if they were normal (even action movie normal) people, the amount of bat/pipe hits they've taken (without like breaking something) verges them on John Wick lite levels" lol
    -Stephen McCranie

I remember seeing that video. It's things like that that do make me edge on the "well, it could happen, if they all fought this way specifically." but ultimately it is still an action movie so there will be some fantasy in there. Still better than most for me.
    No question.

I do like Korean stuff. My Name is another good one for cinematic yet semi-realistic fight sequences.

I liked the scene for the way that it wasn't "protagonists are just so outstandingly skilled they can avoid and parry everything, they are actually getting hit when they are surrounded by multiple people with weapons and reach" but also "they probably would go down now if they were normal (even action movie normal) people, the amount of bat/pipe hits they've taken (without like breaking something) verges them on John Wick lite levels" lol
    Absolutely. It seems to be a thing with Korean stuff that they get hit more in a more realistic fashion, but soak damage like champs.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Professional MMA fighter Maiquel Falcao was pretty famously dropped by 4 or 5 random dudes in a gas station brawl. He got rocked early, rallied for a moment and then got flattened by a piece of wood.

Dude was acting crazy disrespectful to a woman is what started the whole thing.

Anyways, there is also footage of back peddling boxers dropping multiple attackers but I have trouble imagining any 2 humans fighting off a dozen motivated attackers wielding baseball bats.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post

Anyways, there is also footage of back peddling boxers dropping multiple attackers but I have trouble imagining any 2 humans fighting off a dozen motivated attackers wielding baseball bats.
    It was 30 men iirc. They got a pickup by someone else helping them near the ending part with a baton but there was a good portion of the fight where they were getting surrounded and swarmed (and sometimes also knocked down on the ground) with only their raised arms for protection. As far as feats go it means their forearms (and backs) must be made of iron basically lol

Very Final Fight type stuff if I think about it
    Last edited by Postmania; 06-28-2023 at 10:45 AM.
    -Stephen McCranie

It was 30 men iirc. They got a pickup by someone else helping them near the ending part with a baton but there was a good portion of the fight where they were getting surrounded and swarmed (and sometimes also knocked down on the ground) with only their raised arms for protection. As far as feats go it means their forearms (and backs) must be made of iron basically lol
    Fuggin Anderson Silva, George's St Pierre and Prime Tyson all working together couldn't overcome those odds. 0_o
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Professional MMA fighter Maiquel Falcao was pretty famously dropped by 4 or 5 random dudes in a gas station brawl. He got rocked early, rallied for a moment and then got flattened by a piece of wood.
    This sounds pretty normal for 4-5 people versus 1. Even the 'and one guy grabbed a piece of wood' part.

If it's a brawl, if it's 4-5 guys against one, nobody is interested in 'fair play' even if they would have been so interested had it been 1 versus 1 (which is unlikely, but happens). It's hardly surprisingly someone picked up a weapon.

Dude was acting crazy disrespectful to a woman is what started the whole thing.
    I will then not cry about him getting KO'ed.

Exactly.

The stuff they do in the show...is not outlandish. SOME of it does depend on their opposition being idiots, which is less 'these guys are beyond real world human' and more 'their opposition are idiots' and 'their opposition isn't fully committed'.

But the damage soak they display IS outlandish.

Again, this seems a thing in a lot of Korean shows. The fight sequences can be very well choreographed (they've come a long way from 'everyone uses TKD', though that does show up). But people just eat damage like sponges.

I'm okay with people taking a lot of punches. It can get wild, but it's not...crazy.

It's when they suck hits from lengths of wood, baseball bats, that kind of thing, that's where it leaps waaaaay over the line.

*points to My Name again*

Hallway fight sequence? Highly skilled but small woman tries to duke it out with big guy, gets overwhelmed, needs to really whale on him - partly with a weapon - to put him down (not a fan of the big swing punches, but the elbows and the full-body hook-punch at the end were nice). She then fights about five guys in a hallway. Even in a cramped hall they don't just come at her one at a time, forcing her to move back-and-forth between the couple of guys who CAN simultaneously attack her, and yes, she uses a weapon, and yes, most take multiple hits for her to put down.

And no, she doesn't do any twirly crap with her weapon, and she doesn't do big, sweeping haymakers; she for-sure puts her body into the hard shots, but she still manages to keep them relatively tight.

This is actually one of the better fight sequences I've seen in a while. Perfectly realistic? Nope. But decent.

Edit: Hilariously, someone in the comments is complaining that none of the bad guys are carrying guns. It's Korea, numbnuts. The entire world is not the US.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-28-2023 at 10:53 AM.
    Why are we here?

Mighty Member

I do like Korean stuff. My Name is another good one for cinematic yet semi-realistic fight sequences.
    I liked the fight scenes in My Name a lot, but i think even calling all of them semi-realistic is stretching it a bit, i am a rather large and big dude and had quite a bit of combat-sports training in the past, but even if i am armed and an unarmed half-dead Ji-woo just glares mean at me i would immediately run for my life.

I would say she has even passed the point of just becoming the leader of a male special forces squad or becoming rich by beating up male high-end pro fighters halfway through the series, and in the finale she just became an outright superhuman who would have certainly died 7-10 times as an actual human:

Well, I did say semi realistic, but you’re right, I’m probably remembering the series from the perspective of the hallway fight.

… I should watch the series again, perhaps.

It is possible I have never asked, or it is possible I don’t remember. But what have you studied and for how long? Always curious.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-28-2023 at 02:05 PM.
    Why are we here?

Mighty Member

Well, I did say semi realistic, but you’re right, I’m probably remembering the series from the perspective of the hallway fight.
    Fair enough.

… I should watch the series again, perhaps.
    You should, it is a great series after all.

It is possible I have never asked, or it is possible I don’t remember. But what have you studied and for how long? Always curious.
    Well i think i have only mentioned it in a Cobra Kai thread once. Boxing for about 7 years with a couple of breaks in-between though, Shoot boxing for about 4 years without breaks, Judo for about 1.5 years, Shotokan Karate for about a year, and i have tried Muay Thai, Sambo, and BJJ each for a couple of months.

Oh, that’s good stuff. Lots of cross-training, lots of practical. Nice. ^_^

And thanks! . Now I know where you’re coming from.
    Why are we here?