Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Oh, that’s good stuff. Lots of cross-training, lots of practical. Nice. ^_^

And thanks! . Now I know where you’re coming from.
    Well i did not mention my Wing Chun training, but that was just for 2 weeks as i was younger, and i truly just even tried it because i was a huge Bruce Lee fan and there was no Jeet Kune Do Dojo anywhere near me .

Now i'm curious too, do you have trained in combat sports or martial arts, and if yeah in which ones?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Well i did not mention my Wing Chun training, but that was just for 2 weeks as i was younger, and i truly just even tried it because i was a huge Bruce Lee fan and there was no Jeet Kune Do Dojo anywhere near me .

Now i'm curious too, do you have trained in combat sports or martial arts, and if yeah in which ones?
    Fair chunk.

7 years of Judo with the Takahashi Dojo.

12 years in a school that was nominally a Five Animals Kung Fu school, but which borrowed from FMA, Boxing, Muay Thai, JKD and Silat with the techniques and practice. Lots of unrehearsed stuff, lots of resistance training, function over form, etc. We also put on MMA gloves, mouthguards, and did heavy-to-full-contact fighting for about 8 years of that. I also studied some grappling stuff outside of Judo at this time, then put together the grappling syllabus for the club and taught it at the club for about five years. There was some weapon work in this club, but it was mostly forms, so I don't really consider that.

At about the same time, I did about 10 years of what would eventually become Siling Labuyo Arnis, so lots of stick, knife, and short-blade work, again focusing more on unrehearsed stuff and resistance training than set exercises (this part was NOT just forms at all).

School changed into something I didn't recognize, so I left.

After that, I did about 12 years of Xingyi, again focusing on resistance training, unrehearsed stuff, and hitting stuff over mindlessly practicing forms (forms were in there, but mostly to help train the structure) and a bucketload of weapon stuff, including sparring. Still doing that now. With the same teacher, simultaneously, I did old-school Yang Taiji (forms, yeah, but also unrehearsed, resistance stuff, not just endlessly repeating Da lu and 'push hands', but old school, Taiji was originally for fighting stuff) and Yang weapons (again, all kinds of stuff with that, including sparring), so about 10 years of that. Sun Style taiji, same kind of training, about 8 years.

Still doing those last things. ^_^ Mostly with a couple of my teacher's private students (we teach each other - all three of us have trained with him for more than 10 years, one of us has been with him for about 20-25years) because our Teacher has more or less retired. He's back this summer, holding classes for four of us, but that's likely his last hurrah.

I've also poked my nose into a variety of different seminars and clubs over the years. Sambo, BJJ, American Heritage Combat Arts, another Kung Fu school just to see what they were doing, that kind of thing.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-29-2023 at 06:13 PM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Fair chunk.

7 years of Judo with the Takahashi Dojo.

12 years in a school that was nominally a Five Animals Kung Fu school, but which borrowed from FMA, Boxing, Muay Thai, JKD and Silat with the techniques and practice. Lots of unrehearsed stuff, lots of resistance training, function over form, etc. We also put on MMA gloves, mouthguards, and did heavy-to-full-contact fighting for about 8 years of that. I also studied some grappling stuff outside of Judo at this time, then put together the grappling syllabus for the club and taught it at the club for about five years. There was some weapon work in this club, but it was mostly forms, so I don't really consider that.

At about the same time, I did about 10 years of what would eventually become Siling Labuyo Arnis, so lots of stick, knife, and short-blade work, again focusing more on unrehearsed stuff and resistance training than set exercises (this part was NOT just forms at all).

School changed into something I didn't recognize, so I left.

After that, I did about 12 years of Xingyi, again focusing on resistance training, unrehearsed stuff, and hitting stuff over mindlessly practicing forms (forms were in there, but mostly to help train the structure) and a bucketload of weapon stuff, including sparring. Still doing that now. With the same teacher, simultaneously, I did old-school Yang Taiji (forms, yeah, but also unrehearsed, resistance stuff, not just endlessly repeating Da lu and 'push hands', but old school, Taiji was originally for fighting stuff) and Yang weapons (again, all kinds of stuff with that, including sparring), so about 10 years of that. Sun Style taiji, same kind of training, about 8 years.

Still doing those last things. ^_^ Mostly with a couple of my teacher's private students (we teach each other - all three of us have trained with him for more than 10 years, one of us has been with him for about 20-25years) because our Teacher has more or less retired. He's back this summer, holding classes for four of us, but that's likely his last hurrah.

I've also poked my nose into a variety of different seminars and clubs over the years. Sambo, BJJ, American Heritage Combat Arts, another Kung Fu school just to see what they were doing, that kind of thing.
    Oh wow, that is a lot of experience, and the weapons training sounds very neat, i was always interested in Kendo and since a while also in Krabi-Krabong for weapons training, but unfortunately i neither found the time nor a fitting school so far.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Oh wow, that is a lot of experience, and the weapons training sounds very neat, i was always interested in Kendo and since a while also in Krabi-Krabong for weapons training, but unfortunately i neither found the time nor a fitting school so far.
    Weapons can be fun, and properly trained it kind of makes one aware of different aspects of that sort of thing. Krabi-Krabong does seem pretty interesting. Any schools for that where you are?

...that's always the trick. Often it's less 'what do I want to learn?' and more 'what can I find in my area?'.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

depends on how many people. obviously, one guy beating up 50 people isn't real combat ability. No one in the real world has infinite stamina.

In the first part of the video, the guy is running so his stamina is already going to be lower by the time he fights the group, and then if he immediately fought a big dude afterward his stamina would be even lower.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 06-30-2023 at 10:24 PM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.