Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Neither does DC, Archie or any other U.S. comic publisher. You have to search for it.

But it's a heck of a cost savings - I subscribe to both Amazing and Slott's Spiderman.
    Which Spider-Man title is better, your opinion?
    Last edited by clonegeek; 07-01-2023 at 08:22 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Which Spider-Man title is better, your opinion?
    In terms of story, Slott's Spiderman by far.

In terms of price value, Well's Amazing, because the title has more opportunity to go double or more sized and when it does, you still get the book at the same price you subscribed to.

BANNED

In terms of story, Slott's Spiderman by far.

In terms of price value, Well's Amazing, because the title has more opportunity to go double or more sized and when it does, you still get the book at the same price you subscribed to.
    Interesting, I do wish that ASM would stop with all the needless drama with Peter and MJ and have them married again

What's the condition of the books when they arrive by mail?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's not about space as much as sales. If 2099 sold better, we'd have more of it.
    Well part of the issue is NOT every store carries all books.

And this has been a huge issue for years especially with POC lead books and books from other companies.

Especially if you don't order online.

I can't go to my local Target or Wal-Mart and buy ANY of DC OGN like Beast Boy Loves Raven-I have to order them via the Target app.
    I can't go to my school library and pick up say Spider-Punk-because we can't order that book.
    I can't go to my local library and pick up Savage Dragon or 90% of Image books.

Yet I can go to all those places and pick up any Miles Morales book (and that was BEFORE Spiderverse came out).

Remember for comic book stores YOU are at the mercy of that store owner.
    Who can cherry pick what he wants to order.

Part of the reason you don't see Archie books in stores now. Yet the digests are in grocery stores.
    A book like 2099 gets ordered in the South but if you up East-you might not see a copy.

Because said title might not sell well or you got the store owner who does not want a POC lead book in his store.
    Because you got some store owners who will NOT order a book no matter how many folks ask for it. Archie Afterlife says hi.

And what happens is you end up with a trade that outsells Batman and others on Amazon and Kindle at any given time.

And we got stores that are in certain areas and other areas that are pretty much comic deserts outside of Half Price books or Movie Trading Post.

I am in an area where NONE exist. The two I go to is in another city and the other is near where my old school was on the border of Downtown.
    If I go south-I might not see a comic book store until I hit Houston (a 4 hour drive).

Incredible Member

Interesting, I do wish that ASM would stop with all the needless drama with Peter and MJ and have them married again

What's the condition of the books when they arrive by mail?
    Most of the books arrive in very good condition. There is a thin cardboard backing and some lettering on the front saying "Please Do Not Bend". However, if you have a small mailbox, the carrier would have no choice but to bend it to get it in. If you need for your books to be absolute mint condition, I would not recommend a subscription.

If there is a an issue that is lost or damaged, they will reship a new one (or extend the sub if the issue is sold out).

BANNED

Most of the books arrive in very good condition. There is a thin cardboard backing and some lettering on the front saying "Please Do Not Bend". However, if you have a small mailbox, the carrier would have no choice but to bend it to get it in. If you need for your books to be absolute mint condition, I would not recommend a subscription.

If there is a an issue that is lost or damaged, they will reship a new one (or extend the sub if the issue is sold out).
    Yeah, I'm one of those people who get paranoid about the condition of my comics when I buy them. I want the most out of my 4 bucks. Mainly bends I'm worried about, rips I'm hit or miss about

Yeah, I'm one of those people who get paranoid about the condition of my comics when I buy them. I want the most out of my 4 bucks. Mainly bends I'm worried about, rips I'm hit or miss about
    I've sometimes bought single issues from Ebay in new condition (don't recommend it if you can't help it; after shipping, it's double the cover price). They've always come in a sleeve with a cardboard insert and put in a special framing box. Never had a problem with them getting bent or anything.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Is she called Mayday in Dark Ages?
    I believe she's only explicitly May Parker in that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I believe she's only explicitly May Parker in that series.
    Not that it matters. She’s called May Parker in Spider-Girl too plenty of times (it’s her actual name). “Mayday” is still just a nickname (one fans really latched onto).

Probably because it disambiguates her from her great aunt, whose name is also May Parker. It's like how there's two Iris Wests at DC. One of them is Wally's aunt, the other is his daughter (the exact same relationships as the two Mays to Peter) - so the kid is usually called Irey.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Silk sucks. Horrible character mainly for her debut. Never liked the character. Never will. Silk's ****.
    Honestly she was really great in her own books when someone other than Slott got to write her. I wouldn’t be surprised that Bailey could be salvaged, just like Silk and Spider-Gwen (Slott did come up with the original concept there, at least) with the right writer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Nice attempt at moving the goalposts but your attempt doesn’t work. One can feel a prejudice against a fictional character on the grounds of race in the real world, but one cannot give a job or position to a fictional character. A character getting a solo over what character you wanted in an attempt to adhere to synergy will never be nepotism so you might as well stop trying to argue such a weak point.
    For a fictional character, an ongoing is the equivalent of a job or position. By giving Spider-Boy an ongoing and not anyone else, Marvel is saying they have more faith in this character (that unlike the others has yet to prove himself) than in any other character not named Peter or Miles. That is the message Marvel is sending out by doing this, whether intentional or not.

And yes, it absolutely fits the definition of nepotism. Just like real people, fictional characters sometimes can be granted a head start and special privileges (like an ongoing and chance to prove themselves) because their daddies have connections. Spider-Boy is no different than a nepo-baby, and there are no moving of the goalposts here.

It’s especially ridiculous when it’s been pointed out to you that Marvel did release a Spider-Punk mini that was supposed to line up with the release of the movie.
    Emphasis on "mini". Not to mention it barely got any marketing. I know many Spider-Man fans who didn't know didn't hear about it until recently, and who still don't know about it.

Let's also not pretend there isn't a bad history here. How many times has the comics industry insisted that POC and female characters can't sell or sustain ongoings, and that white male characters are more likely to sell? How can we be sure the current Editorial made up of Brevoort, Lowe and Cebulski (all aging white men) doesn't adhere to that mindset when it's a problem that still exists today? This is the same Editorial team that is clearly out of touch, that leaves money on the table by refusing to undo OMD (with Brevoort saying even Superman's remarriage was a mistake), that has to resort to pumping out variant covers to boost sales of Marvel's flagship book, and that recently pulled an Avengers 200 again by fridging Kamala Khan in 2023... a move so tone-deaf it made mainstream news. They are not so holy that their word for what sells/doesn't sell should be taken as gospel. It should actually be taken with a grain of salt.

Bailey shouldn’t be blamed for the fact that delays caused that Spider-Punk’s series didn’t line up with the delayed release of the movie and Marvel as a business shouldn’t have to keep shooting for forced synergies just to keep up with delays.
    I don't think ongoing stories of new characters that audiences are in love with is "forced" synergy.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-04-2023 at 09:53 PM.