Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

1) Krypton. The "born on Earth" thing seems a little too "have to run screaming away from the SA as much as possible" to me. It's okay to have an alien from another planet be born on said planet.

2) I actually like the idea of Krypton being destroyed by something other than natural causes. It makes more logical sense. I've come up with a number of scenarios that could do it.

3) I think the ship should at least deliberately aim for a continent so he doesn't end up underwater or something.

4) Yes, he absolutely should have powers from day one on Earth. Maybe this is just bias of my upbringing but pretty much all of the versions I grew up with, from the movie to all the cartoons, to the Superboy TV show, all have a Superman with powers from day one. I didn't even know there was an alternative until I was 16. Seriously. So this could just be childhood bias on my part, but yes, he should be some kind of "superbaby". Not necessarily flying around with his blanket wrapped around his neck like the old stories but maybe show him kicking in the side of his crib like in Superman 3 or something would be enough.

5) I wouldn't mind a Supergirl (or Powergirl if you prefer) but that's it. No cities, or pets, or half the population or whatever. Phantom Zone villains are fine as long as they get sent back there.

6) I prefer a recording in his ship that he asks to see. His parent reveal to him that he came to Earth from space and never hid this from him but the actual learning about his heritage has to be his decision. Maybe around puberty.

7) I've never been super (get it?) comfortable with a costumed Superboy. It just feels awkward because I don't see anyone choosing to call themselves that. That having been said, yes, he had adventures helping people in secret when he was younger like in Smallville.

8) Let me be very clear about this one: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! The ONLY good version that has ever done this was the Smallville show. And even then it only worked because they made Smallville a suburb of Metropolis on that show. And having Clark save his life as the way they meet is the only way I see this working. Unless you plan to do it that exact way, there is no way to make this work and have it be even remotely believable.

9) I'll be honest, this one's not a deal breaker for me. I don't really care one way or the other. I prefer them alive but the assumption is they'll die at some point during his career anyway.

10) His mom. Period. This just works for me. He and Pa may have had a hand in coming up with ideas but ultimately she designs it.

11) It's his family crest but people just see an "S" so the name sticks. The only Earth bound explanation is that he's arrogant enough to call himself Superman. Which might have worked in the 1930s but seems a bit narcissistic today. And, no, it doesn't mean "hope".

12) I like the idea that he came up with the idea early on. Like his teen years. He worked for the school paper or something and really liked it. Something mundane like that. And also saw it as an opportunity to learn about events before they happen.

13) I prefer she finds out about a decade into his career. He chooses to reveal it to her because he trusts her. That having been said, she's not stupid. There's a very good chance she'd discover it on her own anyway. She knows how to do her job. Guy who looks like Superman with glasses on shows up with the first story on Superman? Yeah, that's gonna set off her BS detector.
    Assassinate Putin!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

1. QUESTION: What do you prefer to see on Superman’s figurative birth certificate? (Krypton or Earth?)

I actually really loved the birth matrix idea, it was such a nice quirk of an alien culture and could also explain why he looks so human if a writer chose to go that route. BUT, the baby in the rocket is pretty much impossible to change in pop culture. I'd just make him relatively newborn to keep the emotional weight of his parents not getting to really know his presence.

2. QUESTION: Did Krypton die of natural causes or was there something nefarious?

Not nefarious but essentially a consequence and arguably preventable as of that point in time.

3. QUESTION: Landing in Smallville — an accident or pre-ordained?

Pre-ordained honestly. I don't really like to think Jor-El's effort was some insane crap shoot. Send your son 50 light years away to maybe here or there, maybe he just hits the ocean... lol.

4. QUESTION: Superbaby — in costume or not — yea or nay?

No super anything before he's able to make an earnest decision, unless it's primarily and largely a story done for humor.

5. QUESTION: Is Superman the only survivor of Krypton’s explosion — or did a whole coterie of other Kryptonians make it out alive as well?

Kara, Krypto, and the PZers, of which there are less than ten. No Kandor, lol.

6. QUESTION: When should Clark learn of his Kryptonian heritage?

As an adult, as Superman. I don't think it "makes" him Superman, but he does become a better Superman because of it.

7. QUESTION: Superboy — yes or no?

In concept of operating before he's Superman, yes. In being a costumed character ehhh. It feels like a no but trying to think of why seems forced. Superboy in Smallville is a corny idea but Superboy himself can work as far as we're suspending our disbelief in the first place.

8. QUESTION: Lex Luthor meets Superman as a teen in Smallville or as an adult in Metropolis?

No. Bat it's funny because I really tried not to read responses before my own answers, but I've always thought Lionel was a decent way to pull off the idea that there's an established Luthor and there's a peer to Superman within the same canon

9. QUESTION: Jonathan and Martha Kent — dead or alive?

Both alive. Never really cared about them dying, especially the more you lean into losing the entire planet of Krypton.

10. QUESTION: Who made Superman’s suit — Kryptonian Dad or Earth Mom?

Doesn't have to be his mom. Indifferent to the swaddling or whatever... but in a shared universe it bugs me when everyone shares an origin or costume design by intention. Don't tell me that fifty light years away they dress like Batman.

11. QUESTION: What does the “S” stand for?

S is for Superman. He has powers, so he puts on a cape and uses them. He's super. Probably what bugs me most although the idea Morrison seemingly got from Byrne is cute.

12. QUESTION: Clark Kent as journalist — a calling or a convenience?

The daytime life activities of Clark are so underrepresented. If I ever write I can't even begin to tell you here how I'd dive in
    13. QUESTION: When does Lois learn Superman’s identity — if at all?

*Sigh*

I hope just early enough to avoid something incredibly awkward. No proposing without telling her
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Fun thread!

1. QUESTION: What do you prefer to see on Superman’s figurative birth certificate? (Krypton or Earth?)

Krypton for sure.

2. QUESTION: Did Krypton die of natural causes or was there something nefarious?

Natural causes. I prefer the idea of the science council ignoring Jor-El and him being the only one along with Lara that had an inkling through scientific research and knowledge.

Accident and coincidence. I think that touches on the utter desperation of the El's rocketing baby Kal into the universe hoping that somehow he'll survive.

I do like Kal/Clark to have powers even as a baby that gradually grow in time with his mental and physical development. He may do things here and there but def not in costume.

5. QUESTION: Is Superman the only survivor of Krypton’s explosion — or did a whole coterie of other Kryptonians make it out alive as well?

This one is not necessarily make or break for me. On the one hand, it is pretty awesome to have him be the one true lone survivor. But on the other, there's a lot of cool other characters and storylines to explore.

Not before puberty so high school-ish age. I think Clark is inquisitive by nature (see #12) so he may have found out little things here and there that he can't quite fully explain but he suspects something and it all comes together when he learns the full story of who he is and where he came from.

I like Superboy but not in high volume and def not in costume (also see #4).

8. QUESTION: Lex Luthor meets Superman as a teen in Smallville or as an adult in Metropolis?

Pretty adamant about this one for myself, I do not like Lex in Smallville. I see Metropolis as the true beginning of Superman, and that goes for the establishment of his nemesis Lex. I think it makes the world just too small otherwise. He goes to a bigger world, a bigger life, and it all goes from there.

I like Ma alive and Pa dead. And at some point Ma does pass away at which point they're both gone but not forgotten. He always keeps with him the life lessons they taught him, which contribute to making him who he is.

Ma Kent. I'm cool with Clark on the assist here, too.

Superman. But I'm okay with it being a family crest that happens to look like an S. I'm not a fan of it translating to hope though.

A calling. I see Clark as a journalist (and a lifetime learner) by nature. It's also one of the things that attracts him to Lois because she's the best and he respects the hell out of that.

I can go with either Lois finding out on her own, or with Clark telling her at an important moment in their relationship. I think either fits the narrative. But I do like her knowing. Speaking of, I prefer a short list of people who do know that also includes Jimmy as his best friend (pal ).
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Born on krypton but- he should yearn to learn more about his heritage but feel alien to his own people.

Both? Jor-El definitely was right that Krypton was on its way to death eventually but Brainiac sped up the process.

Accident. Nothing is perfect, not even Kryptonian tech traveling for such a long distance.

I guess nay? wrapped in a house of el cloth

Other Kryptonians made it out alive/were off planet. But not that many. Maybe 15. Majority being in the phantom zone. Kara of course. Id go with the STAS Argo cryofreeze where Clark has to find a way to safely take them out of it.

Around the age of 17-19

No. He did heroics here and there but nothing major.

As an Adult. Lex grows up being the star wherever he goes until Superman comes to Metropolis.

Both alive.

Kryptonian dad with Martha being the one to suggest that Clark wear it to save the day when thinking up costume ideas.

House of El/Hope but Lois thought it stood for Superman when naming him and the general public think it just stands for Superman.

A calling.

2-3 years into knowing him. Have her confront him about it.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 06-27-2023 at 04:12 PM.

Spectacular Member

I'm mostly a silver age guy, if you can't tell.
    Krypton
    Natural causes
    Accident.
    Yea
    Coterie!
    At least two years after he starts his Superhero career.
    Yes.
    Adult.
    Dead.
    Made on Earth, of his kryptonian blanket
    Superboy/man. And saving lives, stopping crime, and being super-helpful.
    Yes. He chose it because it appeals to him, and because it can help his alter ego.
    When/If they get married.
    Last edited by Filbert; 06-27-2023 at 05:15 PM.

Incredible Member

Krypton, unquestionably. I'd have him be more toddler-aged rather than a newborn, like in the Silver Age.

"Natural causes", or more specifically, the climate change metaphor it somehow became over time. For it to be an actively malicious plot to destroy Krypton feels awkward to me. I don't think most Superman writers are prepared to write that dude (and Kara, and Zod) as a genocide survivor.

Honestly, if I had my way, I'd have whatever autopilot system the spaceship had already be malfunctioning by the time baby Kal-El gets even close to Earth. Make it more of a miracle, as even the last hope that his brilliant parents gave him starts to fail... and yet, he survives.

Ehhh... as some have raised, it's sort of the inevitable consequence of how Superman's powers have been explained over time, right? But yeah, it feels even more unbelievable than usual for Jonathan and Martha to be able to deal with a Superman-level baby. If it's primarily as a comedy story, like every actual Superbaby story I've read was, then yeah, sure, it's hilarious, and by all means, give him the costume. But if we're going more "serious", then I like the "sickly kid" take that some people in this thread have proposed.

I like Kara and Zod enough to be fine with doing away with Kal-El's "last survivor of Krypton" status. Sure, bring in however many Kryptonians are needed for the story - within reason, of course.

Okay, full fanfic time: Vague memories, almost like a fading dream, when he's a kid. Like I said before, I'd have him toddler-aged when Krypton exploded, but without the super-memory he had in the Silver Age. When he's around 8 to 10 years old, Jonathan and Martha show him the rocket, so he knows he's an alien, but not exactly where he came from. He finds that out as a young adult, before becoming Superman. Something like Superman & Lois or Man of Steel, but without the Jor-El hologram. An impersonal AI would be enough, if you must have one.

I understand I'm going against Siegel here, but no. At least, not as a full costumed superhero. Secretly doing things here and there is perfect, though.

... I'm not sure. Lex in Smallville feels like it makes the world smaller, but at the same time it adds so much for Clark and Lex specifically to go that far back. I could go either way, honestly. I think I'll go with "yes" purely because I believe it was Siegel the one to write that first story with Lex Luthor in Smallville.

Another one I don't have many strong feelings on, but if I had to choose, they both survive to see Clark reveal himself as Superman, but die very early in his career.

Clark himself. Definitely not Holo Jor-El who shouldn't even exist unless you're dunking on the entire concept of him. It being Martha is more bearable, but honestly, it should be Clark. Clark himself designing and making the costume and deciding that yes, this is who he's going to be, this is who he wants to be.

The "S" being the crest of the House of El is charming for me, and Zod or other Kryptonians having something similar to it feels like it adds to the overall Kryptonian culture. I'd have it mean something like "Star" instead of "Hope", though. "The Superman symbol literally means Hope" is too... pretentious for me.

A calling. Clark Kent could be whatever, but he chose to be a journalist. Writing, getting to know different things, different perspectives, digging for the truth, and showing them to other people, that's what he enjoys.

When they're already dating, either as Clark or as Superman. Bring in all the relationship drama! And it's Clark who tells her, though Lois may already suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't mean that he is bad guy, but that I dislike how he is used. It relates to Snyder's MoS topic where we discussed why Clark decided to do good and I prefer Clark to just want to help people regardless of what his parents tell him. It is same for Jor-El too, I dislike all these Jor-El ghosts and computer projections that guide Clark for a while. We really shouldn't see him after Krypton explodes.
    Ooooooooooooh! Thank you for explaining!

Astonishing Member

I actually liked the birthing matrix from one perspective- Clark wasn't adopted. So while I can accept his being born on Krypton as easier for story telling purposes, I'd prefer the child to arrive young enough to be passed off as a pregnancy of Martha's that was kept "secret" due to past miscarriages.

Natural causes.

As for how no one else saw it- They did:

A) Some believed it was something cyclical. Krypton was going experience some quakes and stuff but it would pass and then life would get back to normal.
    B) Some had plans to deal with it that involved co-ordinated response by all of Krypton (space-arks, large scale work on the core). It all gets lost in politics and bickering.

End of the day, Jor-El built a rocket himself and got one kid off world only because he did it all himself. Given more time we might have gotten larger projects but Krypton goes "boom" before anyone else gets to the ready to launch stage.

The rocket reaches Earth by a combination of tech and luck. The onboard systems are looking for a suitable planet (no knowledge that Kal will become "super" on another world, so you need breathable atmosphere, "food", beings smart enough to care for infant) and finds Earth before Rann, Thanagar, Daxam,,,

At end of day, if only options is baby dying in rocket or dying with rest of planet, Jor-El and Lara choose one-in-trillion chance over certain death for son.

Clark is a superbaby, but with some proportionality.
    He can't fly (he actually can't walk or crawl at first).
    He isn't invulnerable, but he'll seem that way. As long as Clark is doing things a normal kid does, he'll never get so much as a papercut. He rarely if ever encounters things that could hurt him- the same way you or I rarely encounter things that cause that level of damage.
    His sensory powers are all there but his brain is designed to focus at the same level a normal human does. You can hear the TV in the other room, but you filter it out while you are watching TV in this room. Clark can hear the birds singing a mile away but filters it out because the sounds in the same room are more "interesting".
    And while he is far stronger than a normal kid, it doesn't pass out of what a full grown adult could do before he has learned how to hide just what he can do.

Superbaby/boy/man is largely one of a kind. Other survivors might have arrived on Daxam or some other world where they wouldn't really stand out. Other known survivors don't appear until Clark is an adult and then it's Supergirl and a dozen or so Zoners that seem to cross the path of Earth,

Other than knowing about the rocket, Clark is not able to learn anything until either his Superman years or if Lex is introduced earlier when he meets Lex.

Yes, with certain caveats. His powers are closer to Action #1 than to classic Superman. And his activities are largely dealing with disasters outside Smallville rather than crime in Smallville. So he isn't rescuing Lana and Pete every other day or having regular encounters with Smallville officials. And there is no "Home of Superboy" sign outside of town.
    But Clark wants to help where he can. and from the point his powers are actually at a superhiman level he starts doing so (with or without the Kents' approval)

Split the difference. Superboy (but not Clark) meets Lex when both are teens. lex isn't from Smallville, but whether he is from another small town and will move to Metropolis or is a Metropolis native, I'm less concerned with. The main jist is prior to Superboy, Lex never met anyone on his own level. Lex's mind operates on a larger scale than other "kids" but his maturity level is less than most scientific experts. Superboy is someone Lex can talk about quantum physics with one minute and adolescent concerns the next. And when Superboy and Lex eventually have that falling out- Lex comes away convinced that Superboy was the jealous one, that Superboy couldn't handle that Lex was smarter than someone who is superior to everyone else.

It might be one or two post-incident encounters while both are teens, then Lex is either in prison or drops off the radar until he emerges as an adult in Metropolis making scientific/business headlines.

I prefer them to raise Clark and then leave the stage. At least one of them dying as a demarcation between the Superboy who is more care-free and Superman who is more serious. If Clark still has a living parent, then I want them fleshed out so that their lives aren't hanging around the farm waiting for Clark to stop by for pie, coffee and advice.

Three answers.
    Superboy originally made his own suits from various materials
    When he meets Lex and before their falling out, Lex presents him with his first near indestructible suit.
    The classic suit that he uses at the end of Superboy's career through most (if not all) of his Superman career is a gift from the Legion. The suit is a sort of time-loop in that the Legion have it as a historic item from Superman's era, but it doesn't exist before they give it to him to take back in time.

Superboy/man. The original "costume" had either a "5" or an "S" on it as it was a Smallville High jacket he was wearing that was badly damaged and stained during a rescue. Reporters took taht as an "S" and named him Superboy based on that. The actual crest was a later design he came up with (possibly with the Legion's involvement).

A lucky accident. Clark originally becomes a reporter to cover for his own investigations of things in Metropolis. But he actually came to love the reporting on issues and criminal activities as much as his Superman intervention. Superman stops a fire in a tenament, but Clark gets the fire turned into a push for fire safety. Superman helps deal with a natural disaster, Clark spearheads the call for charitable donations for the people in that area.

Lois is the biggest supporter of the secret identity in my mind. Lois starts out as the mouthpiece for the authors as to what actually makes the whole thing work (it's more than the glasses). In the early days of their being co-workers Lois is the one providing the reason Clark and Superman aren't the same guy (Different heights/builds, times they were seen together, ...). Once she gets suspicious (say a year or so in) she actually works it out but is then covering for Clark (without his knowledge). And finally when he reveals the secret to her, she's like "I've known for awhile and was just waiting for you to decide you wanted to admit it".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    This is a great idea for a thread!
    Thank you!

Though the real credit for this one goes to the 13th Dimension website for making this quiz.

Lot of interesting responses here. In the majority of cases, it seems that people's 'perfect' Superman skews towards one pre-existing take or the other, albeit with one or two details from another version. Goes to show that no one considers any one interpretation to be 100% perfect. There's always something good to be found in another interpretation.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Born on Krypton. Byrne's change was a mistake.

That's something I'd tweak from the mythos. Either external causes or keep it a mystery.

Lucky accident.

No Superbaby with costume. Too silly.

Kandor, Supergirl and the PZ criminals are a must.

As a teen.

Proto-suit to wear with the Legion.

As an adult in Metropolis.

Both dead like in the old comics, but for different causes in different periods of Clark formative years. Jonathan dies first.

Full Kryptonian suit like in Snyder's MoS.

Symbol of Hope and of the House of El.

Being a journalist for Superman to be a type of "hero" as Clark too.

It depends. She can be like Commissioner Gordon and never learn the hero identity, but if they are romantically involved she should know asap.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    We have very similar sensibilities. I like all of this. i answered differently in a few questions so as to keep some of the big story developments from the 90's onward, but I really am where you're at on 90 percent of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    In the majority of cases, it seems that people's 'perfect' Superman skews towards one pre-existing take or the other, albeit with one or two details from another version. Goes to show that no one considers any one interpretation to be 100% perfect. There's always something good to be found in another interpretation.
    For me personally, the Superman from the Weisinger and Schwartz is 100% the perfect version. However, in my responses, I modified my point of view to take into account the rights of the Creators and the opinions of other fans. It may not seem that way, but I tried to let people have their cake and eat it too. And really all we need is a lot more imaginary stories, Elseworlds and alternate universes. Weisinger provided many out of continuity stories and I think that kept the peanut gallery happy--because they could always get a different take on the Man of Steel, without losing the status quo.

By the way, planets don't explode. Scientists are very clear on this fact. A planet could be destroyed by collision with another heavenly body, or by the sun going super-nova. But there's no way to explode a planet--naturally or through intervention. I used to think that the asteroid belt was the remnants of an exploded planet, but nope. So the Science Council were right--Jor-El must have been wrong. Whoopsy.

I think he should be born on Krypton.

I am fine with either.

Jor-El sending Kal-El to Earth was planned but landing in Smallville and being adopted by the Kents was not planned at all.

I think he should have had a small degree of Superstrenth when he landed, but his powers increase over time. No Superbaby in a costume though.

I hate the concept of Superman being the last survivor of Krypton. Kara, Zod, the Phantom Zone Criminals, Kandor and even Krypto should also survive.

As a Pre-Teen/teenager.

100% yes. Clark should also join the Legion of Superheroes as a teenager. I like that the teenage Superboy inspired the Legion.

As a teen in Smallville.

I like both.

The fabric came from Krypton but Ma Kent made it.

Superman, Hope and the El Family took the symbol of "hope" as a family symbol.

A calling. Clark should see his job as being important for the people.

I think Lois, Jimmy and Perry should all know.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    1. QUESTION: What do you prefer to see on SupermanÂ’s figurative birth certificate? (Krypton or Earth?)
    Krypton. Kandor specifically (and in my head Brainiac doesn't have a shrunken Kandor for Clark to liberate, he has a tiny digital copy; perfect down to gene sequences but still not the real place).

Natural causes. I'm partial to the sun going nova, actually. But the planet dying via climate change allegory is a pretty topical and apt cautionary tale for the times.

Happy accident. I love the sheer, blind hope and desperation that leads the El's to launch their kid into the void with no idea of where he's going, only knowing that out there he'll at least have a chance, however slim.

Half 'yes' half 'no.' I view Clark's powers as two-fold; his baseline physiology which makes him stronger, faster, and smarter than us with wider, deeper senses (Golden Age style stuff), and then the solar radiation that amplifies, expands, and builds on all that. The solar powers grow with time and age; infant Clark would be stronger than a human baby because of his genetic baseline, but wouldn't be at full power. That develops gradually, aside from a spike during adolescence.

But absolutely no costume.

Sole survivor, with the exception of a couple Phantom Zone inmates too insane to ever let free. I don't even want Kara around (though I obviously recognize her value to the overall franchise). I'd accept Power Girl since she's from a different universe, but Clark's the Last Son, and that doesn't mean much when there's dozens of other survivors.

He should start to unravel the mysteries of his rocket and Krypton during late high school and his 'college' years, after adventures with the Legion have given him an advanced enough knowledge of technology and science to begin making sense of the thing. Before that, he fiddles with the rocket and is mostly just frustrated and unsuccessful, maybe accidentally activating the occasional subroutine without knowing how, or what he's turned on. But I like to think Clark spends most of his life digging through the archives from his rocket. I don't really care for hologram AI Jor-El but I'm fine with the rocket containing Krypton's version of wikipedia.

Yes, but covert, no costume, no headlines. I figure Clark starts helping out in small ways around town when he's about ten; putting out barn fires and such. In high school he's operating across the midwest, always secretively, and spending summers with the Legion. His 'college years' are spent traveling the globe and going on his first solo space adventures (having finally figured out the rocket) and by the time he moves to Metropolis he's a fully formed, highly experienced hero years too experienced for rookie mistakes.

Adult in Metropolis. I don't want Lex to have even heard of Smallville before meeting Clark Kent as a Planet reporter.

And I prefer Lex to be a good decade older than Clark too.

Both dead before Clark becomes Superman. But in my head canon, a little All-Star style time travel allows the Kents to know that their boy did good.

I'm rather fond of the original version where Clark designed the costume himself and invented a durable fabric to make it out of. But I'm content with "Kryptonian relic" too. Anything other than 'my mommy made it for me.'

The House of El. I like to think that the symbol meant 'hope' in ancient Krypton but had simply become a House emblem by the end. Then Superman begins to make the emblem stand for hope again.

Calling. He writes because he enjoys it, and it allows him to fight for real, long-term change. Being a convenience for Superman is a really nice benefit however, and influenced how Clark built his career.

Years before Clark finally tells her. I like to think she figured it out once she and Clark started to work together regularly. Maybe she tries to prove it a couple times fairly early on, when she and Clark are mostly just co-workers forced together, only for Clark to screw up her investigation (ala Silver Age stuff) and as she gets to know him she decides to sit on the information (Clark thinks she stops bringing it up because he's convinced her she was wrong). Then she finds herself working to actively protect it, before she and Clark even go on their first date. Clark tells her before he proposes, and she acts surprised for his benefit, but she's known for ages.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Born on Krypton, NUFF SAID.

Natural causes that could have easily been avoided had the High Council brothered to the take Jor-El and the Science Guild seriously.

Purely accident; the rocket was sent to Earth, but Jor-El and Lara didn't have enough time to be specific about the location.

Nope, just wrapped in the blankets and robes that later form his suit.

Outside of the Bottled City of Kandor (containing probably Alura, Thara Ak-Var, and Van-Zee), Kara's shuttle (which got lost in the shockwave of Krypton's destruction), and the criminals of the Phantom Zone (Dr. Xa-Du, Jax-Ur, and the House of Zod). Anyone else is either a replica (Bizarro, Match, Kon-El), or a hybrid (Jon Samuel Kent).

In his teens; though the help of his parents, Sheriff Parker (who helped keep the US Government of their backs), and Lana Lang's crackpot scientist uncle: Professor Potter.

Only with his time with the Legion of Super-Heroes.

As an adult in Metropolis; I would have Lex start somewhat as an ally to Superman but by the end of Year One, it's glaringly apparent what his ambitions are.

I'd rather keep the Kents; they're such a fun couple.

The Blankets and Robes from his ship; made into a suit by Ma Kent

The Sigil of the House of El.

Natural calling; have it that Clark already had good reporting skills during his high school years

Learn it pretty early on; I was never a fan of drawing it out for ages (Lois is too good a reporter not to learn as early as possible)
    Last edited by Multiverse; 06-30-2023 at 08:35 AM.

Ultimate Member

Krypton.

I love the *idea* of the birthing matrix, but only if you went ALL the way with the idea and had the baby alien rocketed to earth not even be humanoid, but downloaded into a custom-grown body of one of the native members of that planet's dominant species. (And Byrne *did* go all the way with this very idea, with the Alpha Flight character Marrina, an alien Plodex that assumes the form of the dominant species of any planet their 'eggs' arrive on!)

But I don't want this idea for Superman.

Mostly natural causes (or at least, horrible neglect by past stuff done by the natives, that came back to bite them in the ass), but nothing nefarious or deliberate or caused by some Rogaine Lolcat or whatever, 'cause, ugh. So bad.

Aimed at a continent, sure, and perhaps North America was in fact chosen, instead of, say, the middle of Siberia, or the Sahara desert.

Progressive increase in strength. As a toddler, he could lift the back of a pickup to let Pa change a flat, like in the classic Superman movie with Chris Reeves, but it took a decade or more or absorbing Earth's solar power to become really *super.*

A side effect of that? If Zod, Ursa, Faora, whatever show up, they aren't going to *instantly* be Superman-level strong, unless something artificially pumps them up (which may well be a plot point, that their temporary boost can wear off and give Supes the advantage, allowing him to 'rope a dope' them). It seems like various Superman shows and comics have wanted to have it both ways. Superman took a decade or two to 'become Superman,' and Zod can show up and match him after a ten minute 'training montage' where he 'figures out his powers,' which is inconsistent and annoying to me.

Nope. Too many important *other* Kryptonians out there, from Kara to Zod. Not sure we need an entire bottle city of Kandor, though, and I'm fine with the idea that *some* 'Kryptonians' are more like the Krypto (and Conner!) of the Titans show, genetically modified with Kryptonian DNA, but not actually *from* Krypton.

Teenager, at the latest (and early teenager at that). He's a curious boy with a tendency to stumble into stuff his parents don't think he's ready for. He can see through stuff. His parents, no matter how over-protective they might want to be, aren't exactly world-class liars, or inherently deceitful people. He'd find out about it sooner or later, and I'd rather Ma and Pa have the difficult decision to tell him before he finds out on his own and drama happens, like a Super-Runaway 'my parents have been keeping secrets from me, my whole life is a lie! Boring overwrought teen drama!' situation.

I don't mind going with a Legion cartoon sort of solution where he wasn't Superboy *in the past,* but *did* have adventures as Superboy while visiting his friends from the future in their own time. And so, when he 'came out' as Superman in Metropolis, he had a few years of 'practice superheroing' as a Legionnaire that the people of present-day Earth knew nothing about!

Smallville was *amazing,* and I love what they did with Michael Rosenbaum's Lex, but that was for that show, and I think I'd prefer Lex be a Metropolis boy through and through who couldn't find Smallville on a map, and would strenuously deny that somebody as major and important as Superman could have anything to do with such a small nothing hick farm town as Smallville.

Don't care. One or both of them dying could serve as Clark's impetus to ditch the farm and never look back. Or they could live happily ever after. Doesn't matter much to me.

Earth mom, perhaps originally from Earth materials that don't handle it well, and it takes some finagling to make one from Kryptonian materials salvaged from / made by stuff on his rocket ship (perhaps even with Legion assistance!).

Crest of the House of El. Does not stand for 'hope.' Might even just be the Kryptonian letter 'L', which would be funny, since everyone on Earth thinks it's an 'S.'

To be consistent, the House of Zod's crest would *not* look like a Z. (which, in several sources I've seen, it doesn't!)

No opinion. Or, rather, I had opinions either way, and they killed each other in a cage match to the death, and now I have none.

A few years in, and she'll have more agency in figuring it out and even provide Clark an alibi on occasion before he knows that she knows and is covering for him with Perry!

He'll be, "Lois, I have to tell you something..." and she'll roll her eyes and think 'Get on with it, super-dope' and he'll say, "I'm Superman!" and she'll hold up her hand and say, "Oh. What a shock." in a deadpan monotone and he'll squint and say, "Your heartbeat didn't even budge. You could at least *pretend* to be surprised..." and she'll be, "Clark, I love you, but I'm a *really* good investigative reporter, and you are not half as good a liar as you think you are, which is one of the things I love about you."
    Last edited by Sutekh; 07-06-2023 at 02:07 AM.