Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

He's my Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    After the Flash relied so heavily on nostalgia only to flop, I think that will mark the end of the Multiverse being heavily used to justify bringing back old actors. I guess maybe they might do CoIE but I’m not holding my breath on that. With Marvel beating DC to the punch yet again with Secret Wars, I wager Gunn will go in a different direction.
    Any Crisis movie would just be compared to the TV event anyway. And probably not favourably. Apart from the fact Green Arrow died instead of Flash and Supergirl (a plot change that was actually explained in the show, Ollie had done a deal with the Anti-Monitor during the previous year's event), it was pretty faithful to the comic event.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

friend of the helpless Deacon Blues's Avatar

i bet that brosnahan will be a great lois-- she's a real pistol in mrs. maisel, so i have high hopes! also, i think it's funny just how easily you can find a funny way to pronounce corenswet (corn sweat, corns wet, etc.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Any Crisis movie would just be compared to the TV event anyway. And probably not favourably. Apart from the fact Green Arrow died instead of Flash and Supergirl (a plot change that was actually explained in the show, Ollie had done a deal with the Anti-Monitor during the previous year's event), it was pretty faithful to the comic event.
    Plus, we did get a Flash death in COIE - that of JWS's 90's Flash (who was perhaps a better representative of the classic Barry who died in COIE than the more Rebirth/New 52 inspired version Grant Gustin played).

I think the one thing to remember when it comes to COIE is that its not just some random universe-rewriting story - it was also supposed to be a culmination of nearly 50 years of DC history. Likewise, the Arrowverse COIE was a culmination of nearly 8 years of Arrowverse history across 5 shows.

As much as I'd love to see a big-screen COIE adaptation, it's really only something that makes sense as a culmination of some grand over-arching story, era or universe. Like, if the DCAU did a COIE adaptation at the end of JLU's run, that would have made sense. It'd also make a lot of sense for the DC Animated Original Movie line to do COIE at some point. Would it have made sense as a culmination of the DCEU though, as Hamada planned? Well...perhaps. But the DCEU itself, as per Hamada's plan, would already have been soft-rebooted with Flash(point), so who knows how much sense that would have made?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Any Crisis movie would just be compared to the TV event anyway. And probably not favourably.
    I'm not sure the TV event had enough viewership for it to matter for cinema's direction.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm not sure the TV event had enough viewership for it to matter for cinema's direction.
    Perhaps not. But among a significant section of the fanbase, it does matter. And word-of-mouth spreads fast about a 'better' version of the story that's just out on film.

Social media, for the last several months, has been bombarded by posts about how Grant Gustin is a far better Flash than Ezra Miller. I'm pretty sure if David Corenswet isn't up to the mark as Superman, God Forbid, then he will be compared unfavorably to Tyler Hoechlin. So let's not pretend that the TV adaptations have zero impact...

The impact is non-zero, but I'd hate for a movie to pass on a decent idea because a TV show with modest ratings already did it.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Fan-poster by Jaxson Derr:

You’ll believe a man can fly. #SupermanLegacy @JamesGunn

https://twitter.com/JaxsonDerr/statu...83209744056328

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    The impact is non-zero, but I'd hate for a movie to pass on a decent idea because a TV show with modest ratings already did it.
    Oh absolutely! I don't think a movie should not do it just because a TV show did. And let's face...when has DC or Marvel ever passed up an opportunity to re-adapt an iconic/popular story? (The Dark Phoenix Saga really comes to mind on the Marvel side...)

That said, again, COIE made sense for the Arrowverse at that point because the Arrowverse had built up a nearly decade-long mythology of its own, so it really felt like a culmination of some thing.

What would a COIE movie be a culmination of, exactly? That's the question that needs to be answered.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    As much as I'd love to see a big-screen COIE adaptation, it's really only something that makes sense as a culmination of some grand over-arching story, era or universe. Like, if the DCAU did a COIE adaptation at the end of JLU's run, that would have made sense. It'd also make a lot of sense for the DC Animated Original Movie line to do COIE at some point. Would it have made sense as a culmination of the DCEU though, as Hamada planned? Well...perhaps. But the DCEU itself, as per Hamada's plan, would already have been soft-rebooted with Flash(point), so who knows how much sense that would have made?
    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    What would a COIE movie be a culmination of, exactly? That's the question that needs to be answered.
    The original concept of COIE (wiping out all universes to reboot) is outdated. Infinite Crisis, CW's Crisis, Dark Crisis... every modern story inspired by COIE ends with the multiverse being restored/saved and not erased. A live action Crisis needs only to be a celebration of past DC movies/TV series to get to the point and to justify in-story to the audience the multiple versions of the same characters (like Pattinson/Affleck/Keaton) that are on the big screen in different projects simultaneously. It shouldn't be a culmination/end but the beginning of the multiverse concept on the big screen.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Fan-poster by Jaxson Derr:

You’ll believe a man can fly. #SupermanLegacy @JamesGunn

https://twitter.com/JaxsonDerr/statu...83209744056328
    Should had the mechanical monster or something..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

friend of the helpless Deacon Blues's Avatar

that looks like an edited still/promo from superman returns, i think it'd be pretty tough to add a mechanical monster to that. it could end up making the edit look a lot less real.

Has David said anything yet about being cast as Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Has David said anything yet about being cast as Superman?
    He’s wisely staying away from social media, the Snyder Cult would be all over his comments in a frenzy anyway. His only appearances on social media recently have been to accept Quaid’s congrats and celebrate with Quaid over MAWS coming out:

https://twitter.com/corenswet/status...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    He looks great in the clip and she is amazing on Ms. Maisel.
    No…marvellous