Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What Made Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman so Popular?

I was reading some Dc Comics today and I got to thinking about the big 3. I am a fan of Batman and Superman and a casual fan of Wonder Woman and they are known as Dc's Big 3. They have been around since the late 30's and early 40's. What is it about these characters that have had them last 80 or so years. There were a ton on Heroes in the Golden Age for many different companies, but what was it about these three that kept them going after the other heroes faded from the pages. Many of the stories for these 3 heroes in the 50s and even into the 60s were flat out goofy and odd. So why did they stick around for so long?

Now I know the JSA has been around in some form or another for a long time but they have not been as Consistent as the big 3. And on the Marvel Side they have Golden Age Captain America and Namor on the pages today but they are not as popular as Dc's Big 3. At least Namor is not.

So what is it about these 3?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So what is it about these 3?
    EASY-consistent usage.

All of them have had comics almost every year they have been around.

They have been in merchandise and other products.

Also look at the TALENT those guys got and the toxic parts of the fandom and even employees couldn't destroy them.
    And when they got replaced-those replacements never went beyond the comics. Except for Batman Beyond.

Over at Marvel we will have Jane Foster and Sam Wilson as Thor and Cap America headline films. Excluding a Batman Beyond-that is never going to happen at DC.

Every DC project outside of comics (not counting Batman Beyond) has had Bruce, Clark and Diana as the trinity.
    And in terms of trades-they have always lead the way. In my school district those 3 were the ONLY DC folks to get some type of trade. Them and Batgirl & Supergirl. Nobody else until 2007.

In terms of free DC posters promoting reading? Those 3 and Flash, Batgirl, Supergirl and John Stewart.
    Stuff for early reading and school stuff-those 3 with the later 3 and toss in Teen Titans (cartoon ones).

You keep feeding folks a consistent diet of those guys and that is why they stand the test of time. And for all the toxic mess we have seen on the comic side with certain characters-you can't extend that outside of comics.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

1. They never went out of publication, even when the books starring their fellow heroes disappeared for years at a time.

2. They were adapted for multimedia almost from the beginning.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

They are the "perfect" and most developed versions of their own character archetypes, and they are incredibly versatile; they can fit into almost any type of story regardless of the genre.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    1. They never went out of publication, even when the books starring their fellow heroes disappeared for years at a time.

Yeah. Aquaman and Green Arrow were also 40s survivors, but they didn't have their own books back then and haven't constantly had books like the big three. They must've been really popular in the 40s as they were both the leads in an anthology (Action, Detective, and Sensation Comics) as well as later gaining their own solo book. Aquaman and Oliver though, had to share Adventure Comics, and they weren't even the lead feature (that was Superboy, who also gained his own book - there was four books starring Clark Kent!).

About adaptations - yeah, Superman had those cartoons in the 40s, and both he and Batman and Robin had radio shows. Then Superman got a live action show in the 50s.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Honestly, the big three's stories were by far the best of all the Golden Age stories. The other heroes had a few stand out issues, but not on the same level. They also had the most developed supporting cast and/or villains.

Extraordinary Member

When I was growing up in the 1970s and 1980s, it always seemed that there was a Big 5 in DC Comics - Superman (due to the films), Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    When I was growing up in the 1970s and 1980s, it always seemed that there was a Big 5 in DC Comics - Superman (due to the films), Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman.
    I'd add Aquaman and maybe Green Arrow to this list.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. Aquaman and Green Arrow were also 40s survivors, but they didn't have their own books back then and haven't constantly had books like the big three. They must've been really popular in the 40s as they were both the leads in an anthology (Action, Detective, and Sensation Comics) as well as later gaining their own solo book. Aquaman and Oliver though, had to share Adventure Comics, and they weren't even the lead feature (that was Superboy, who also gained his own book - there was four books starring Clark Kent!).

About adaptations - yeah, Superman had those cartoons in the 40s, and both he and Batman and Robin had radio shows. Then Superman got a live action show in the 50s.
    There was a 1949 Batman film that is often forgotten.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041162/

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I'd add Aquaman and maybe Green Arrow to this list.
    The average kid knew who Aquaman was back then due to TV cartoons, but it took decades for GA to become that famous with mainstream audiences.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

They also had comic strips, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Was there a time that Superman and Batman didn't sell the most comics for DC (though not necessarily the top title)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    There was a 1949 Batman film that is often forgotten.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041162/
    I have this on Dvd. It is a fun little watch. I love the old serials. Batman, Green Hornet, Shazam.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The average kid knew who Aquaman was back then due to TV cartoons, but it took decades for GA to become that famous with mainstream audiences.
    I was talking comics-wise. He did share GL's title.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I was talking comics-wise. He did share GL's title.
    I agree with that, AW.