You sound very mature
    Sorry, I read comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    You sound very mature
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Sorry, I read comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    That was the best you could come up with? A plot device from an entirely different franchise?
    To be fair, I wasn’t trying very hard
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    I enjoyed this issue, albeit in a conflicted way. I think part of my enjoyment was my want to enjoy it more than I actually did.

The big topic, which has already been discussed at length in this thread, is whether the portrayal of Apocalypse fits with the character as we already know him. I don't get the argument of "this is automatically good because it adds another dimension to a character and stops him being stagnant". No one is complaining about a character being made more complex - but it's the job of the writer to make that kind of development feel natural and earned, especially in a case like this where elements of the character's past are being revealed. Without this skill and nuance to the writer's work, the characters are just blank slates propelled by plot and character traits become meaningless. If it were suddenly revealed that Nightcrawler had been a secret agent for Orchis all this time, it would add another layer to his character, but it would rightly be hated because it wouldn't make sense for who we know Nightcrawler to be.

I haven't been shy in saying that one of my big pet peeves of this era has been characters being used as plot devices and villains being unilaterally redeemed with their pasts seemingly erased. Apocalypse was one of the biggest examples of this, so I actually appreciated Ewing's effort here to give his new personality and role some context. Did it work? Not fully for me. I still can't reconcile this brow-beaten, apparently peace-loving Apocalypse with a character who's about to go and maim and kill fellow mutants for a survival of the fittest ethos. It's like he was dulled down to make Genesis seem more abhorrent, which seems like a lazy way to elevate a new villain. For example, it didn't seem like Apocalypse's style to be almost hiding from Genesis in fear of her reaction to Arakko's changes - but it did make Genesis seem more terrifying and psychotic.

My opinion on all of this is all coloured by a fear that Apocalypse is being set up to be the big hero here, especially after editorial allowed him to be referred to as "the most hopeful mutant" at the end of Betsy Braddock: Captain Britain. I've also been let down by a couple of Ewing's big climaxes now, so I'm going into this with a slightly more measured enthusiasm.

All that being said, I think there's the potential for this to be a great arc and I'm willing to overlook the Apocalypse problem in expectation of an epic story. The idea of a war between new and old Arakko is awesome, particularly as it will now be ideological as well as literal. Storm vs Genesis is bound to be an awesome fight. And despite my reservations about Apocalypse, Ewing usually does solid character work, so I'm looking forward to seeing characters being forced into uncomfortable positions with difficult choices. Here's hoping Nova gets a chance to shine too!

On a side note, I was surprised that so many people (invariably people who love this story) had an issue with this post and the fact that it made a real life comparison, given that mutants are constantly discussed as an analogy for real life minorities. I'm not saying which side I fall on, but it just seems like a weird place to draw the line!
    I know that I am late to this thread, so I'll just say that I pretty much just agree with this post.

I don't mind it when some small retcons happen to characters to make them more interesting, but this felt like a real change to the entire character of Apocalypse to me. And it felt like something of a rush job. Just my opinion, of course.

Other than that though I found the story to be pretty entertaining, and it was good enough for me to give the Apocalypse characterization the benefit of the doubt until I read the entire story.

As for the idea that Apocalypse is somehow a good guy now, I don't get that from reading the story. Apocalypse is still a villain here, even if the character views himself as above such things as heroes and villains. Actually, Apocalypse has always read to me as if he thought he was doing the good guys work even if all he ever really was was villain dick and a bit self righteous.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Finally got it. I have to get my books off of Ebay now because of what happened with Comixology so thats why I'm late. Not much to say.
    This new Apocalypse I have no interest in. And I didn't find him that compelling in the first place. He was only good for Age of Apocalypse. This whole issue came off as gibberish to me. I only picked it up because it was a part of the upcoming story but I was still hoping to enjoy it. This was a yawn fest.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-09-2023 at 10:06 PM.

Ewing proves to me once more why he is keeping my interest in the X-men line up alive, got some lore and set up some villains well for what is to come.