Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default Would the Avengers benefit from some time away?

Love it or hate it you have to admit that Marvel has beaten the Avengers brand into the dirt these last 15 years. No one hears "oh there is a new Avengers book" and gets excited anymore. Everyone and their cousin is now or has been a member of the team. They keep coming up with weirder and weirder with titles like Occupy Avengers, Savage Avengers, AI Avengers, Avengers World, ect, ect. The brand as a whole is just worn out. So I ask do you think it would help the brand long term to give it a year or so break? I think it would be the perfect time to take a step back and lets see what the Marvel U would look like without and Avengers team for a while. Plus since the next movie is not coming out until 2026 Marvel could wait to launch a new series until close to then. Make people miss the team and remember why they are so special. I think a little break now and then does help the overall long term brand. It seemed to work well with Thor and Fantastic Four, and I think it would work even better with the Avengers.

Plus with the Avengers not in the picture other teams like the Fantastic Four, New Warriors, Alpha Flight, Champions, or even a new Thunderbolts or Defenders team could step into the limelight.

LOL! If that happens, then The X-Men will take over again. Remember the '90s

Extraordinary Member

I would say not so much time away...just team that is characters who are not at the top right now. As I said elsewhere...the line ups these days tend to be character who have been pushed forward by MCU prominence.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

There's no reason for the team to go away for awhile IMO especially since I'm enjoying the hell out of Mackay's run so far. If anything just need some creativity in the lineups and storytelling on the satellite books.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    There's no reason for the team to go away for awhile IMO especially since I'm enjoying the hell out of Mackay's run so far. If anything just need some creativity in the lineups and storytelling on the satellite books.
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly this.
    Pretty much what I was going to state.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Mighty Member

I don't think it would make sense anymore for there not to be an Avengers team because any random heroes can and have come together to call themselves the Avengers. If one person in a team is vaguely associated with the Avengers, then it can be the Avengers, and since almost every hero has been an Avenger...

You can do a team with Butterball and 4 brand new characters and call it the Avengers, and it would seem like people in universe- and the Avengers themselves- would be perfectly fine with that. So...plot wise, why wouldn't there be an Avengers if anyone can make an Avengers team? They'd have to No More Avengers.

Weird time to ask this question as the flagship FINALLY has a promising and exciting run again after maybe more than a decade?
    We’ve had some decent spin-offs not as long ago but the regular Avengers truly needed a run like Mckay’s.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Weird time to ask this question as the flagship FINALLY has a promising and exciting run again after maybe more than a decade?
    We’ve had some decent spin-offs not as long ago but the regular Avengers truly needed a run like Mckay’s.
    Agreed.

Jed isn't Bendis or Aaron, he knows how to tell a damn story.

Maybe after his run, the series can take a nap. But not until Jed says so

Extraordinary Member

I don't think the Fantastic Four's time away in the 2010s has done them any obvious good since they came back.

The Avengers and Fantastic Four got a boost in the Heroes Reborn era, but they weren't gone, they were just rebooted in a different universe. I think when a book is out-and-out canceled it never helps. If you're not being published, you're losing.

Astonishing Member

Inhumans fan here, and it sucks having the world go by while not seeing some of your favourite characters be part of it. If there was like 5 Avenger books going on and the question was 'should we cut down on the Avenger books'? Then maybe, but really Marvel should always have a core book ongoing, with a 12 issue renewal. Meaning we know 12 issues with by issue 8 knowing if the writer is continuing for another 12 etc.
    So no to the time away, the main Avengers book should always be continuing. Unless it is some big event where everything has been shaken up so there isn't an Avenger book for that reason.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yes, weird time to ask this...I think a lot of people have been happy to see the end of Jason Aaron's run and with a line in the sand drawn on that it's like we've had a break and are now keen for the new run...I've enjoyed the post-aaron shorts: War Across Time, All Out Avengers and Avengers Beyond (soon to end), as a taster for the new ongoing by Jed MacKay..now's not the time for a break...

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Yes, weird time to ask this...I think a lot of people have been happy to see the end of Jason Aaron's run and with a line in the sand drawn on that it's like we've had a break and are now keen for the new run...I've enjoyed the post-aaron shorts: War Across Time, All Out Avengers and Avengers Beyond (soon to end), as a taster for the new ongoing by Jed MacKay..now's not the time for a break...
    I too have been enjoying War Across Time, All-Out and Beyond. Now that McKay has the Avengers running properly. It would be the wrong time to get rid of the Avengers. Especially after Aaron’s disastrous run.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Why are we asking this about the Avengers but not the X-Men, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four or the Incredible Hulk?

Mighty Member

We already know the answers to what happens when the Fantastic Four goes on hiatus, Daredevil too (he gets replaced with Black Panther). Spider-Man hasn't been on hiatus, but Peter's replaced at least once every presidency. The Hulk was replaced with Hercules. These aren't questions that need to be answered.