Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Spiderman 10 Preview

"He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

It's the migraine of the century!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Electro talks about gentrification. Wasn't that a big thing with him during Waid's Gauntlet storyline?

Spider-Man getting saved is a time honored modern Spidey tradition .

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Electro talks about gentrification. Wasn't that a big thing with him during Waid's Gauntlet storyline?

Spider-Man is truly the ultimate Damsel in Distress.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yes, though he was just exploiting the (real and valid) frustrations and anxieties of the masses, like any demagogue worth his salt.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

I wonder, if you counted it up, since OMD how many times Spider-Man has had to be bailed out or saved?

Dan, I read the book to see the guy whose name is on the cover do the saving and the heroing!! I’d be buying the spider boy book if I wanted to see spider boy saving the day

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I wonder, if you counted it up, since OMD how many times Spider-Man has had to be bailed out or saved?
    I wonder how much it's been inflated and arbitrarily fixated on by the usual few on here as "proof" that they're right for disliking Spider-Man comics...
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I wonder how much it's been inflated and arbitrarily fixated on by the usual few on here as "proof" that they're right for disliking Spider-Man comics...
    Let me give you a hand and explain that if something someone dislikes keeps happening in a comic, that person is perfectly justified in disliking that comic.

But I suppose it’s easier on the worldview to imply that everyone who disagrees with you has some nebulous agenda, rather than just having different tastes than you.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    It used to be that everytime Spider-man messed up, it was actually part of his character.

Now whenever he messes up, it's because OMD is horrible and he's being written out of character.

Of course I am willing to admit that they've spent way too much time creating other Spider-people and insisting they're important and can't go away, so that does account for some of the cases where Peter obviously needs help. They have to shoe Spider(whatever) in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It used to be that everytime Spider-man messed up, it was actually part of his character.
    Not remotely true. I’m old enough to remember plenty of times readers called out out-of-character stuff he did in the 80s and 90s, and they blamed it - like currently - on just plain bad writing.

You can’t tell me stuff like “I sold out my marriage and children/future children to the DEVIL to avoid the responsibility and guilt of my actions” is simply a normal screw-up.

Someone even brought up Peter’s behavior during and after OMD with Stan Lee to get his thoughts.
    ”But I must admit I agree with you, it wasn't typical of the Spider-Man we have known and I think they'll either going to get back to the normal Spider-Man and Mary Jane relationship or they've maybe already done it… they will, sooner or later they will, I'm sure of it.”
    His optimism was refreshing… back in 2009…

I mean, I think Peter needing to get saved or bailed out of trouble was a pretty frequent issue of Slott's run especially in the latter half of it. Even the cartoon that was based on Slott's run had the same problem.

And we're seeing a lot of it in Wells' run too and it wasn't that infrequent in BND from what I remember.

I guess one could argue that it's less a byproduct of OMD and more just writers who don't believe in self-sufficient Superheroes or that "Spider-Man takes a lot of punishment" means he doesn't get clean wins.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

Now whenever he messes up, it's because OMD is horrible and he's being written out of character.

Of course I am willing to admit that they've spent way too much time creating other Spider-people and insisting they're important and can't go away, so that does account for some of the cases where Peter obviously needs help. They have to shoe Spider(whatever) in there somewhere.
    Messing up or losing occasionally is not remotely equal to the conga line of defeats, humiliation, needing to be saved/bailed out Spidey has been going through lately and if you can’t see that, that’s a you problem.

Let's please be respectful of others' opinions, folks.

Fantastic Member

Apologies. Just getting tired of being accused of having an agenda or of essentially faking my dislike of most recently published Spider-Man comics

Spider-Man needing saving isn't something new. It's the reasons. I'm perfectly fine with Peter needing help in this instance because he's literally handicapped right now. A pretty severe handicap at that. And even despite that, he's doing the absolute best he can.

Over in ASM though, you have Peter at 100% getting absolutely clowned by people he should have little to no problem with. Now I'm not saying he should be invincible. Far from it. He has been caught off guard and all.

But just about every villain in every arc has gotten a one up on him pretty effortlessly. In the latest issue he and Norman got taken down with no offense whatsoever. It's getting ridiculous at this point.