Thread: Crossgen comics

Default Crossgen comics

Hey there everyone-

Were all the Crossgen titles good reading? Any suggestions on which were the best?

Thanks!

Amazing Member

Negation was really good, but does not finish.

I enjoyed the First, though it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I really think Ultraverse was a better universe, but Crossgen had a few bright spots.

Extraordinary Member

Bart Sears did some pretty good art on the First.

I liked the universe but none of the stories really finished, which made it difficult to want to go back and revisit.

My personal favorite was Sojourn, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sojourn_(comics) . For many months, it was Crossgen's highest seller, written by Ron Marz, with beautiful art by Greg Land(before many knew who he was).

Female sword and sorcery, without cheesecake. Think of Ron Marz if he were turned loose on Red Sonja.

Astonishing Member

Scion By Ron Marz and Jim Cheung.

Meridian by Barbara Kessel and Jim McNiven.

The First by Barbara Kessel and Bart Sears

Way of the Rat by Chuck Dixon.

Though I tend to agree that Negation was probably the best of the lot since the main arc stuff was there (the invasion by Charon and his Lawbringers).
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 07-01-2023 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTION View Post
    Hey there everyone-

Were all the Crossgen titles good reading? Any suggestions on which were the best?

Thanks!
    Scion was always my favorite along with Negation and Ruse.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Astonishing Member

Personally, every title from the CrossGen universe was great. Negation, Sojourn, Mystic and Scion were my favorites. I wish Marvel would pickup and finish the stories that were left dangling.

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTION View Post
    Hey there everyone-

Thanks!
    Sojourn was great

I also liked Mystic, Ruse. Route 666.

A lot of people really liked Negation.

I also read Sigil and First but I read them on the web and I've mostly forgotten them since I never reread those series. The dangers of digital reading

I also liked the titles they added before they disappeared like Brath, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and El Cazador

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post
    Think of Ron Marz if he were turned loose on Red Sonja.
    That would be awesome

Astonishing Member

For me
    1) Negation
    2) The First
    3) Scion
    4) Negation War
    but I also liked Solus, Sigil, Crux, Sojurn. Mystic might have been good too but I was mad at Marz for Hal Jordan and skipped it for the most part. It's downfall was really sad because Negation War was it's COIE and they went under before it finished. I have had occassion to ask some of the architects of that Negation War storyline how it was supposed to end but they either can't remember or don't want to say. It was probably the tightest non big two universe I spent a lot of money on. It was more coherent than Image and even moreso than Milestone two other alternate universes I really love.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Bart Sears did some pretty good art on the First.
    Yeah, I used to page through the CrossGen titles -- and was always a fan of Sears, but couldn't quite jump on the CG ship. I think I have one or two issues of the First, but it's been a long time. Mystic looked good as well, but again - never tried it. I did pick up an issue or two of Sojourn. I do miss those Indy universes/comics from the 80s -- and CG was a decent attempt at bringing those back.

Did George Perez work on Sigil? I seem to recall picking up an issue he illustrated, but the story didnt' win me over.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeah, I used to page through the CrossGen titles -- and was always a fan of Sears, but couldn't quite jump on the CG ship. I think I have one or two issues of the First, but it's been a long time. Mystic looked good as well, but again - never tried it. I did pick up an issue or two of Sojourn. I do miss those Indy universes/comics from the 80s -- and CG was a decent attempt at bringing those back.

Did George Perez work on Sigil? I seem to recall picking up an issue he illustrated, but the story didnt' win me over.
    He had a book called Solus when CG grabbed him I was sure they were about to take off. The book was alright, I can't remember anything especially special about the title besides being drawn by George Perez, but that enough. A typical Sigil-verse CB book drawn by Perez was worthy of my cash. I was hoping he would have been the one to draw the Negation War since Perez does big company crossovers but the artist that did wasn't bad and I guess the money wasn't right.