Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Gotta admit - never thought I'd see Yelena in pigtails.
    https://aiptcomics.com/2023/10/27/ma...white-widow-1/
    I was expecting more like Kelly Thompsons' BW and not...this.

Ok, has this Yelena ever interacted with Kate Bishop? I mean, at all?

This does feel like they are trying to create synergy with the MCU Yelena. That said, I did enjoy the first issue.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Ok, has this Yelena ever interacted with Kate Bishop? I mean, at all?

This does feel like they are trying to create synergy with the MCU Yelena. That said, I did enjoy the first issue.
    They worked together in the last Black Widow series.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Wasn't that Clint Barton, not Kate Bishop?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Wasn't that Clint Barton, not Kate Bishop?
    in the early issues...yes. Later (issue 10) when they went in to take down Apogee Kate as with them.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

The writing for Yelena just really took me out of it here.

She's out of character - like I already said, even her civilian hairstyle isn't something I imagined her wearing. Reminds me of Ice from the current Fire and Ice book actually. They both go to live in a small town hoping for some peace away from superheroes, but they have to deal with heroic stuff anyway (the reason it's Ice specifically and not both, is because Fire actually WANTS that to happen).

I wonder what Clint would think when he finds out the name of Yelena's dog? Bint Clarton is clearly named after him!
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quick in and out here:

As someone who never really cared about this character, I liked the first issue in terms of both art and characterization. Enough to pick up however many issues this is slated for.

Extraordinary Member

She's out of character - like I already said, even her civilian hairstyle isn't something I imagined her wearing. Reminds me of Ice from the current Fire and Ice book actually. They both go to live in a small town hoping for some peace away from superheroes, but they have to deal with heroic stuff anyway (the reason it's Ice specifically and not both, is because Fire actually WANTS that to happen).

I wonder what Clint would think when he finds out the name of Yelena's dog? Bint Clarton is clearly named after him
    !
    Why would he care...it is very clearly a completely different name with no connection to him at all.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

My LCS put it in my hold box cause I've gotten the Black Widow series. I decided to pass and trade wait this.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

The best of this issue were the covers...
    I realy liked the character in the Thompson and Casagrande run but like always with Marvel and DC, what happened in the previous series doesn't exist if the new writer consider that he/she don't need to respect what happened before...
    They will have my money for the Artgerm cover but no more.

I gave the first issue a shot but wasn't into it. Yelena's characterization here doesn't really feel like the 616 or MCU version, and the art didn't do it for me.

A very poorly researched review. They rated it 9/10, but clearly aren't familiar with the character. They claim it's Yelena's first solo book. It's the first volume of White Widow, but Yelena originally debuted as a new Black Widow, and didn't she already have a solo before under that name?
    https://www.cbr.com/white-widow-1-review/

Invincible Member

A very poorly researched review. They rated it 9/10, but clearly aren't familiar with the character. They claim it's Yelena's first solo book. It's the first volume of White Widow, but Yelena originally debuted as a new Black Widow, and didn't she already have a solo before under that name?
    https://www.cbr.com/white-widow-1-review/
    Yes. I didn't read it, but Yelena had a solo MAX series some years ago.

The writer clearly only watched Florence Pugh’s depiction of the character … not knowing she’s had a completely different personality in the comics for the past twenty years.