Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    where is this alleged revelation about Spider Boy's background
    Spider-Man#11 and ASM#31 are said to be going into more details about his background but maybe with the new solo it maybe clarified there.

Legally, Marvel should have had a Spider-Boy for decades. Miles could have started out this way, then 'graduated' to being Spider-Man a few years later. I still feel it was a mistake to call that fusion Amalgam character "Spider-Boy" which ostensibly gave DC half-claim over the name. Maybe it's been finally worked out. Maybe. (Or maybe he's legally called "Marvel's Spider-Boy"; notice a lot of the Hasbro toy characters are named "Marvel's..... (fill in the name)"
    It seems that the trademark was cancelled due to failing to timely file the proper renewal paperwork and Marvel has recently file a new paperwork .

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I'm giving it at least 12 issues then he will have minis like Silk does in the future
    I would not underestimate the appeal of Spider-People, particularly one aimed at kids.

If Moongirl can make it to almost 50 issues I think Spider-Boy has a good chance of reaching close to that.

I think they will go with a new rogue gallery for Spider-boy, with less mature and more whacky storylines that kids may like. Then if they do a show/cartoon spin off. Spider-man/Miles can be pretty mature for young kids. Just a theory

Mighty Member

I think the appeal of Spider-Boy to kids is seeing a character closer to their age being the hero and having crazy adventures.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-14-2023 at 12:14 PM.

I don't like the character. I just don't see the appeal. I'd rather have Ben or Kaine back.

where is this alleged revelation about Spider Boy's background?

Legally, Marvel should have had a Spider-Boy for decades. Miles could have started out this way, then 'graduated' to being Spider-Man a few years later. I still feel it was a mistake to call that fusion Amalgam character "Spider-Boy" which ostensibly gave DC half-claim over the name. Maybe it's been finally worked out. Maybe. (Or maybe he's legally called "Marvel's Spider-Boy"; notice a lot of the Hasbro toy characters are named "Marvel's..... (fill in the name)"
    Pretty sure Amalgam names are now up for grabs. In Tim Drake: Robin by Meghan Fitzmartin, Tim gets his own sidekick, a girl named Darcy Thomas. She dons a mask and calls herself Sparrow - which was previously the name of Tim's Amalgam with Jubilee.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Kid like adults can have different taste, they can enjoy adult having adventures with while still also liking heroes closer to their age range.

Kids liked Batman, but when Batman added Robin the idea was so popular with with younger readers it generated a host of imitations in the form of kid sidekicks.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-14-2023 at 12:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I think the appeal of Spider-Boy to kids is seeing a character closer to their age being the hero and having crazy adventures.
    My two daughters watch the D+ Spidey and his Amazing Friends where Peter, Miles and Gwen are all aged to be about 10.
    This is how new generations are introduced to the characters. For all intents each character is a "Spider-Boy" at this point to the target audience.
    Bailey is just odd, not sure why someone thought the Spider Family needed this.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 08-11-2023 at 07:11 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

You mean Miles, not Ben.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/mar...spider-man-11/

A whole lot of new info, heavy with spoilers.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

I really love the fact that Bailey has so many ties with the rest of the Marvel Universe. First the F4 helped him with his suit, and now we learn he was also trained by Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Ahem: He has fangs and what look like six eyes, I can see it now PUT that mask back on as you're scaring the kids!
    Hail Hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by betaraybob View Post
    https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/mar...spider-man-11/

A whole lot of new info, heavy with spoilers.
    Isn't Peter being hypocritical trying to say he doesn't want Bailey to be a Spider-hero as a kid when Peter himself started being Spider-Man when he was 15?

Incredible Member

There's a big difference between a 15 year old and someone who started at 7 years old (and is now 10 years old).

Heck, there's a huge difference between a 15 year old and a 10 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    I really love the fact that Bailey has so many ties with the rest of the Marvel Universe. First the F4 helped him with his suit, and now we learn he was also trained by Matt.
    It kind of feels like Matt maybe shouldn't have led with hitting him? Seems a bit uncalled for. Maybe try and get him acclimitised to his unique sensory perception without smacking him?

Also while I'd have no issue with Madame Monstrosty being tied to the siblings Stillwell over in ASM 31, the fact she's also taking credit for the Lizard and Morbius turning out the way they did (and also suggesting they stole her work in the progress, and also having gone completely undetected when sabotaging them in revenge - also the Rhino is also allegedly plagairised, who to my knowledge isn't in any way a human-animal hybrid? It's all armour, the Rhino thing's just branding) feels a bit off. Like if you'd just left it at the Stillwell brothers, that seems fine to establish her villainous credentials, but it just feels like puffing up the new character at the expense of the old. Plus I'm pretty sure the High Evolutionary was there first, Madam! You can't copyright man-animal hybridisation!

Speaking of which, I guess now we basically know Bailey's whole deal, he's a take on the original Jessica Drew 'actually a literal spider' origin.

High Evolutionary debuted in Thor #134 in 1966. Lizard debuted in ASM #6 in 1963. If Madame Monstrosity's tech created him, then she was active before Herbert.