Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its treated as one, unbroken story. Always has been. When Romita took over, he used the Green Goblin which was created by Ditko. Single narrative. When JMS did his Happy Birthday issue, he had Spider-Man relive all the significant moments of his past, which were written by many authors. Single narrative. Most of the supporting characters in use by writers over the past 20 years were introduced by someone else. Single narrative.

Just ... there are some stories that aren't worth bringing up again. Its not that they didn't happen. They just aren't something anyone wants to revisit. Like Sin's Past. Still a single narrative, based on the other factors I mentioned.

I would argue that OMD/OMIT are also just a part of the narrative. Thats practically the only hope those of us who hate them have in getting rid of them - they can be revisited and abolished because its all one big story. How you abolish them would just become part of the narrative and everyone would talk about how much that era sucked. Like they do about Chapter One or (for some) the entire JMS era. The best strength of the single story aspect is that you can draw from anything and ignore anything, without invalidating anything.
    One could have it revealed that Peter and MJ got replaced by Skrulls during the Clone Saga. That doesn't invalidate everything past that but rather offers a fresh slate for the real Peter and MJ when they come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You have misunderstood what I said.

These are all examples of Doctor Who ostensibly being one continuity dating back to 1963, similar to Marvel Comics.

But Doctor Who is not One Big Story, it's not a novel. The entirety of Doctor Who is not intended to be digested as a single piece of entertainment.
    Nah, it can be enjoyed as a single piece of entertainment. I've watched every TV story (some more than once) and read many of the novels and it seems pretty continuous and consistent to me. So, I reject your argument based on the evidence to the contrary much of which I've presented here in reference form (all of those episodes contain numerous continuous plot points from earlier in the narrative from Dalek history, to the saga of Omega, to the Doctor's past adventures in the series, past places, and companions, etc.), sorry. It is a long-form story with an established continuity no doubt about it.

Edit - How could I have forgotten the return episodes for Sarah Jane's return "School Reunion" and Jo Grant's return "Power of the Doctor"? Those episodes were tour de forces of continuous narrative storytelling.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-04-2023 at 08:54 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I don't really care either way.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman