Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Namor vs. Battle Beast

Who wins in a fight between 616 Namor and Battle Beast from the Invincible comic? Both have their standard gear/weapons.

Namor

vs.

Battle Beast

Fight 1: The Arena
    Fight 2: NYC

Can Namor defeat the Scourge of The Twin Galaxies? Or will Battle Beast triumph over The Avenging Son?
    Last edited by nj06; 01-09-2024 at 08:27 PM.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I don't think Namor can win in the arena. With no water to keep himself hydrated, he's going to gas out faster than Battle Beast.

In NYC, he might be able to take the fight to the ocean and that makes it a bit of different ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I don't think Namor can win in the arena. With no water to keep himself hydrated, he's going to gas out faster than Battle Beast.

In NYC, he might be able to take the fight to the ocean and that makes it a bit of different ball game.
    Thanks for the response!

Is Namor capable of speed-blitzing Battle Beast? I know Battle Beast fought against Viltrumites, but did they ever try to speed-blitz him?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Thanks for the response!

Is Namor capable of speed-blitzing Battle Beast? I know Battle Beast fought against Viltrumites, but did they ever try to speed-blitz him?
    Invincible is pretty weak on characters actually using their combat speed. We KNOW that Mark ought to be able to go blitz crazy since early on: he does the whole "assemble my dorm room mid conversation" thing very early. But he gets whaled on by people without any appreciable speed many many times.

I don't recall any particular speed feats for BB, and definitely don't recall blitzing being a thing against Thragg or Mark.

Now, I'd place Namor, strength wise, a decent tier above Thragg. Viltrumites are generally diet coke class 100s. Namor punches up with the Hulk and threatens the atlantic seaboard.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Invincible is pretty weak on characters actually using their combat speed. We KNOW that Mark ought to be able to go blitz crazy since early on: he does the whole "assemble my dorm room mid conversation" thing very early. But he gets whaled on by people without any appreciable speed many many times.
    Mark has quite a decent selection of speedfeats to his name.

A number of them listed in this post from a while back.

Also, I'm not really aware of Namor being much of a blitz guy.

I don't recall any particular speed feats for BB, and definitely don't recall blitzing being a thing against Thragg or Mark.

Now, I'd place Namor, strength wise, a decent tier above Thragg. Viltrumites are generally diet coke class 100s. Namor punches up with the Hulk and threatens the atlantic seaboard.
    I don't know, Thragg isn't like other Viltrumites. He's in a tier entirely his own given how he routinely overpowers, dismembers and is completely unbothered by high level Viltrumites going for him. Mark needed an ambiguous powerup after being torn in half to even come close to matching him and even then he needed assists to do it. Comparatively, Battle Beast fought him for multiple days after having specifically slit his own stomach open to make it fair and giving up his weapons and it was close match.

Also, Namor's whole "threaten the north-eastern seaboard" thing was in the ocean and therefore him at full hydration. That's not a level of power he's going to be able to reach in the comparatively dry arena.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-03-2023 at 12:27 PM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Also, I'm not really aware of Namor being much of a blitz guy.
    He's really not. He has a couple of nebulous things, some of the usual 'hits people who are fast', and the occasional outlier of 'catch missiles' or something along those lines.

But everything else I've seen depends on 'swim speed' (which, I will grant you, is VERY fast) and flight.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    He's really not. He has a couple of nebulous things, some of the usual 'hits people who are fast', and the occasional outlier of 'catch missiles' or something along those lines.

But everything else I've seen depends on 'swim speed' (which, I will grant you, is VERY fast) and flight.
    This was my observation as well. Off the back of this thread so I went and looked up both a couple of Namor respect threads and the whole Hulk clash thing from Incredible Hulk #118, because it was (funnily enough) not in the respect threads I saw.

So, based on the other strength feats knocking around, the clash with Hulk seems waaaay above his normal stuff. Best other things I saw was "hold up an island," "lift a submarine," and other such things that are well within Invincible's bracket, never Battle Beast or Thragg. Granted the clash is at the bottom of the ocean, so it's Namor at his most potent. Other details; the force of doing so also knocked him out for "minutes" and he was only revived by being in the ocean actively healing him.

But... eh, feels kind of SMvsFL-ish given that it's been like... 54 years since that comic was published and Namor, to my knowledge and based on the research I've done, hasn't ever matched it.

I don't really know Namor that well and respect threads tend to be a bit of a crapshoot in terms of accuracy or comprehensiveness.

Anyone know any other strength feats in the big boy leagues for Namor?
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-04-2023 at 04:58 AM.

Lifting islands puts him in the Class 100 range (depending on size, obviously). It just means he's not one of the exceptional ones.

He muscles around ships fairly easily, he lifts submarines (which can weigh tens of thousands of tons, easily), he consistently fights with other Class 100's without getting absolutely murdered. I'm cool with him being in that range, just not...you know, THOR or anything.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I would say that Namor’s place in the Class 100 pantheon hierarchy is shown in this issue of Hulk, where Namor, Iron Man, Hercules and Wonder Man collectively try to take down Savage Hulk, only to get their asses inarguably handed to them:
    IMG_1733.jpg
    … but admittedly, that feels a little harsh on Hercules, so maybe take it with a pinch of salt.
    Chief Curmudgeon

I'm trying to find the actual scans and context of the island lifting, the respect thread that lifted it had all of a single panel with no real context, and it's proving hard going as it happened somewhere in the midst of Avengers vs X-men and the whole Phoenix 5 thing which is... a lot of very busy comics.

Of the other things listed relative to Battle Beast, Mark (when he was much weaker than BB) was moving ships and helping throw building-sized objects into space and whatnot so feats of that kind of level indicate that you are effectively wet tissue paper before guys of Thragg and Battle Beast's paygrade.

If Mark was doing similar stuff to Namor a while back...

...and Mark needs to get a LOT stronger to fight Battle Beast...

...and Thraag treats characters as tough as early Mark like absolute trash...

...and Thraag seriously struggles against Battle Beast....

...I feel we're edging into the territory of Namor getting Imperious Wrecked.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    If Mark was doing similar stuff to Namor a while back...
    As example that always leaps to mind for me, here's Mark and his brother smashing an aircraft carrier size spaceship in half by flying through it and then hurling half of it into orbit. Thaddeus (another Viltrumite) and Tech Jacket throw the other half.

That's more than equal of lifting a submarine over ones head for my money.

...and Thraag treats characters as tough as early Mark like absolute trash...
    Literally tears him fully in half. I will not post the scan because it's a bit gnarly.

...and Thraag seriously struggles against Battle Beast....
    Fights him toe-to-toe in a brawl that lasts more than four days.

...I feel we're edging into the territory of Namor getting Imperious Wrecked.
    It's only the "causes tidal waves across the length of a continent from hitting the Hulk," bit that gives me pause. If we accept that Undersea Namor is consistently at that level, then he's likely a bit above Mark based on feats.

Now, above enough that he could be in Thragg and Battle Beast's ballpark? Hard to say.

How powerful is Namor's healing? I know during New Avengers he took a blast from Black Bolt and fell from a decent height and still managed to survive/heal, but does he have any notable feats? The Arena setting certainly doesn't do Namor any favors in this particular bout lol

The thing for that is that he does this by an undersea collision of extreme effort that actually KO's him. Tidal waves being something that can be caused by earthquakes under the sea. Which is still plate tectonics kind of level of oomph, but...it knocks him the heck out.

If this level of feat is what it takes to hit the same level as Battle Beast, I would personally figure that it means 'through dint of extreme effort Namor can briefly hit at the same level as Battle Beast, but that's all.' Which is not a great situation for Namor.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    How powerful is Namor's healing? I know during New Avengers he took a blast from Black Bolt and fell from a decent height and still managed to survive/heal, but does he have any notable feats? The Arena setting certainly doesn't do Namor any favors in this particular bout lol
    Namor's healing is weird. I don't recall any kind of special healing ability, but I also remember Logan shanking him in the chest with all his claws. Despite that, Namor beats the stupid into him (check the scan, it's hilarious), lectures him on making a poor choice of targets ('Next time you want to eviscerate someone, try hitting the vital organs', really Namor? He put his claws through both sides of your chest, if you have ANYTHING like a human anatomy that's both lungs, your liver, and your spleen), and Logan promptly passes out.

...I guess it's a strength feat for Namor that he manages to overcome Logan's jobber aura.
    Why are we here?