View Poll Results: Which JL origin do you prefer the most?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brave and the Bold #28 (Starro)

12 21.05%
  • Justice League of America #9 (Appelaxians)

11 19.30%
  • Justice League of America #144 (The White Martians)

11 19.30%
  • JLA Year One (Post Crisis)

16 28.07%
  • Justice League Secret Origins (DCAU)

3 5.26%
  • Justice League #1 (Nu52, Darkseid)

2 3.51%
  • Other (please specify)

2 3.51%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

With 55 people having voted so far,
    * JLA Year One (January 1998) <Post Crisis> = 15 votes
    * Brave and the Bold #28 (February-March 1960) <Starro> = 12 votes
    * Justice League of America #144 (July 1977) <The White Martians> = 11 votes
    * Justice League of America #9 (February 1962) <Appelaxians> = 10 votes

All other options still have less than ten votes for each.

My ideal would be "Year One" but with Wonder Woman back in there replacing Canary.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    My ideal would be "Year One" but with Wonder Woman back in there replacing Canary.
    Wonder Woman not being in the JL would be perfect for her. No more jobbing to the big white boys that demand all the attention all the time.

Yeah that’s not happening. Even after she was retconned to no longer be a founder, she still found her way back to the team.

Retired

Can you imagine if Wonder Woman had been excluded from the Justice League back when they first appeared in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 28? There would be a topic on this message board about the injustice of leaving out one of the only woman super-heroes (at the time) from the team.

It never made sense to me when Diana voluntarily left, because she had no super-powers--yet she was a world-class martial arts expert and had years of experience fighting crime (and working in the military). I can only explain it to myself as Diana feeling disoriented after giving up her Amazon birthright. And then it took years for her to regain membership.

Yet Black Canary, who has no super-powers except her canary-cry (that she hardly ever uses), is deemed equivalent to Wonder Woman as her replacement? Come on!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Can you imagine if Wonder Woman had been excluded from the Justice League back when they first appeared in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 28? There would be a topic on this message board about the injustice of leaving out one of the only woman super-heroes (at the time) from the team.
    Rightfully so, too. It would have been an indefensible decision on DC's part.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I don't know if it would have been such a big deal back then.
    After all, who was reading / buying comic books then?

It never made sense to me when Diana voluntarily left, because she had no super-powers--yet she was a world-class martial arts expert and had years of experience fighting crime (and working in the military). I can only explain it to myself as Diana feeling disoriented after giving up her Amazon birthright. And then it took years for her to regain membership.
    They had a story where Diana had to prove to herself she deserved to be re-admitted, where each member of the JLA would observe an adventure of hers. (Wonder Woman #212-222, published 1974-1975).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't know if it would have been such a big deal back then.
    After all, who was reading / buying comic books then?
    Yeah, and there was no internet back then. Slowmail didn't have the same impact on editorial decisions. Sales was all that mattered, and I doubt, back then, a book featuring Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Superman, Batman, etc... wouldn't be incredibly popular just because Wonder Woman was excluded. That said, It irked me how long it took for DC to go beyond just Black Canary and Wonder Woman as female members. And they had to steal one of them from the JSA, who also didn't have any abundance of female members. Hawkwoman and Zatanna are still two of my favorites satellite era members, but I wish Mera had been given a shot.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yeah, and there was no internet back then. Slowmail didn't have the same impact on editorial decisions. Sales was all that mattered, and I doubt, back then, a book featuring Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Superman, Batman, etc... wouldn't be incredibly popular just because Wonder Woman was excluded. That said, It irked me how long it took for DC to go beyond just Black Canary and Wonder Woman as female members. And they had to steal one of them from the JSA, who also didn't have any abundance of female members. Hawkwoman and Zatanna are still two of my favorites satellite era members, but I wish Mera had been given a shot.
    Back then, DC didn't have all that many female heroes who weren't already extensions of male heroes. And if they did have a few, they probably either weren't considered popular/well-known enough or were already associated with other teams (like the Legion of Super-Heroes).

As for Black Canary being "stolen" from the JSA, what difference did that really make? The Justice Society didn't have their own series / feature back then. A few members got to show up for a couple of issues once a year in Justice League of America (plus a couple of issues of Showcase and The Brave & the Bold) and that was it. Moving her from Earth-2 to Earth-1 did a lot of good for Black Canary.
    (As a note, she had been in the first two team-ups of the JLA and JSA for 1963 and 1964, then she was present for 1966, 1968, and at the end of 1969's meeting she switched Earths.)

By the way, with 56 people having now voted,
    * JLA Year One (January 1998) <Post Crisis> = 16 votes
    * Brave and the Bold #28 (February-March 1960) <Starro> = 12 votes
    * Justice League of America #144 (July 1977) <The White Martians> = 11 votes
    * Justice League of America #9 (February 1962) <Appelaxians> = 10 votes

All other options still have less than ten votes for each.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yeah, and there was no internet back then. Slowmail didn't have the same impact on editorial decisions.
    Peace
    But I said--

There would be a topic on this message board about the injustice of leaving out one of the only woman super-heroes (at the time) from the team.
    I wasn't saying there would be an outcry back then. I clearly said that there would be an outcry now on this message board. Just like this message board has complaints about W.W. previously not being at the same level as Superman or Diana having been the secretary in the Justice Society (in fact, Bill Marston didn't want her in the Justice Society at all, so making her a secretary was a compromise that allowed her to be in the comics).

Still, there was a lively "war of the sexes" going on in the early issues of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, in the letter column, as well as debates on who should and shouldn't be in the League. And the Editor seemed to listen to readers opinions and take them into consideration.

To wit the "J.L.A. Mailroom" from issues 9 and 11.