Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Default Favorite Spider-Man Costumes!

Over the course of Spider-Man's 60 year publishing history Peter Parker and the legacy characters who spun off from him have boasted an impressive array of costumes. From variations on the original red and blue (Sensational) to living creatures (The Black Costume) and even fusions with other superhero costumes (Captain Universe) and they have all been met with either high praise or not so high praise. Below are my top three Spider-Man costumes of all time (with pictures!) What are some of your favorites?

1. SENSATIONAL (Ben Reilly and May "Mayday" Parker)

My all-time favorite Spider-Man costume just so happens to also be Spider-Girl's threads. This bad boy was originally worn by Ben Reilly up until his death in Peter Parker: Spider-Man #75 and was later briefly worn by Mayday Parker in What If? #105, the costume itself and its trademark Scarlet Spider webshooters were burned in a dumpster at the end of that issue but Mayday created a replica of the Sensational suit in Spider-Girl #1 to honor the memory of her dear old Uncle Ben. Honestly, I think it looks a lot better on Mayday than it did Ben.

2. SPIDER-MAN 2099 (Miguel O'Hara)

Honestly, it was really tough choosing first and second place because I love both the Sensational and 2099 suits so much. Anyways, this bad ass costume was acquired by its owner, Miguel O'Hara, at a Day of the Dead festival. The suit itself is made up of Unstable Molecules (that same wacky material that both the Fantastic Four and Spider-Boy use as well as other Marvel heroes, I'm sure) and has an attached web cape made of LyteByte. A new version of this costume was recently featured in the movie Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse and it looks sick.

3. THE BLACK COSTUME (Peter Parker)

This suit is a thing of absolute beauty. Regardless of whether we are talking about the Venom symbiote or the fabric costume, I am sure we can all agree that Peter Parker's Black Costume is one of the most awesome Spider-Man suits of all time. Peter found the symbiote during the events of the original Secret Wars and eventually ditched it when he learned it was a living creature from outer space! Felicia Hardy, the Black Cat, later made him a new one out of spandex as a gift and he rocked that for quite some time until one day a man named Eddie Brock, who had gotten his hands on the disgruntled symbiote, terrorized Peter's wife Mary Jane! Her fear of the Black Costume resulted in its retirement and Peter's return to the good old Red and Blues.

Honorable Mentions:

Captain Universe
    The Classic Red and Blue (Bagley Style)
    Spider-Armor MK I
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 07-02-2023 at 12:19 AM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

very surprised that captain universe isn't top 3 I feel kinda betrayed for some reason

my top 3 are the classic suit, Spider Armor Mark 4, and the black suit

kael-ngu-20210714-marvel-spider-man-final-op-1.jpg

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_4_1_Campbell_Variant_Textless.jpg

images.jpg
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    very surprised that captain universe isn't top 3 I feel kinda betrayed for some reason
    Well, I didn't know if I should add it as it technically isn't a Spider-Man costume.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Didn't expect to be the first to drop this one tbh. An eternal banger

the-scarlet-spider-647dadbe15623.jpg

friend of the helpless Deacon Blues's Avatar

Ditko knocked it out of the park with the original Spider-Man suit. It's a weird costume— halfway between lucha libre and gimp bondage, without looking out of place in a children's superhero comic. The colour blocking is perfect for readability (you can always make out what pose he's striking) and the webbing adds a little bit of camp. It's a showman's costume!

I'm not sure if Ditko is my favourite artist to have ever drawn the suit (Paolo Rivera's sunken-in eyes are pretty striking), but I have to give him props for designing it in the first place.

Coming in at a close second is the black suit. You could argue that it's better designed than Ditko's suit, but I just like it a little bit less. I love how it strips Spidey down to his essentials. Really, the eyes are all you need to be able to know who it is. Felicia was right, it's very slimming! Also worth mentioning is how the darker suit reflected the comics at the time— Peter was fighting serial killers and living in a crummy apartment. It was a little grittier than Forest Hills suburbia.

Attached Images Attached Images

^That is some clean Ditko artwork. When it comes to the classic Red and Blue, my favorite artists (because I can't choose just one) are Mark Bagley and Patrick Gleason.

Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 07-02-2023 at 02:26 PM.

Incredible Member

The black costume reminded me of the Spiderwoman in Secret Wars that apparently had this design and maybe Spidey was thinking of her design when the costume orb came in contact with him.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    The black costume reminded me of the Spiderwoman in Secret Wars that apparently had this design and maybe Spidey was thinking of her design when the costume orb came in contact with him.
    I think I remember reading a big Spider-Man guide by Tom DeFalco that stated that this was the case.

The majority won't agree, but I've always liked the Todd McFarlane version with its complicated webbing & big eyes (XD)

Original Red & Blue (primary colors) and Black & White are by far my favorites (in that order). Although the Proto Red & Black suit was also sweet, which is likely why I love the Superior Design that takes the concept further (my number three favorite).
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-03-2023 at 08:20 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]The majority won't agree, but I've always liked the Todd McFarlane version with its complicated webbing & big eyes
    Yeah, McFarlane took the art of Spiderman to a whole 'nother level! I recall him always putting MJ in some type of high heeled attire and lingerie was the standard when he was doing the book...lol! Probably the reason some folks got hooked on the marraige!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    The majority won't agree, but I've always liked the Todd McFarlane version with its complicated webbing & big eyes (XD)
    I love this too, you can see how it inspired the Raimi look for the films. It's hard to go against the red and blue because it's so good, but alternate costumes and I may be in the minority but I like the Iron Spider costume.

243572-196761-spider-man.jpg
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Incredible Member

Ben Reilly’s Sensational Spider-Man is number one peak design in my eyes; with Ock’s Superior revamp of it a close second. Mikes original is a close third, with Peter’s Black suit in my final list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I love this too, you can see how it inspired the Raimi look for the films. It's hard to go against the red and blue because it's so good, but alternate costumes and I may be in the minority but I like the Iron Spider costume.

243572-196761-spider-man.jpg
    Yeah! The Iron Spider!! MJ wore it well (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-04-2023 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.