Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffy vs A Gun

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Default Buffy vs A Gun

Okay lets ignore the general separation of her performance against blunt damage and everything else for a moment and just look at her durability feats as durability feats. A marksman stands 100 feet away from her and shoots her perfectly directly in the forehead with... some relatively average handgun. I don't know guns, so pick whatever. Is she going to, in any length of time under her own power, get up? If so, the test is restarted with progressively larger calibres and bigger firearms. Where does she top out if she survives the first? Feel free to consider shots to other vital areas as well.

We're running with the assumption that there's no freak occurrences happening here like that sometimes have real people surviving headshots. The shot and conditions are perfect in that a normal human would die from it.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 07-02-2023 at 10:38 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Mighty Member

A normal 9mm round to the dome should finish Buffy. She has no feats of resisting that sort of penetration, and in fact an ordinary wooden stake was shoved right into her gut.

She's been smacked in the head hard enough to knock her into and crater a concrete wall. I'm not really sure what the math is on comparing that force to the more directed force of a bullet into her skull, but penetrating force isn't getting a blanket exemption against her durability in this thread per OP.

As for the staking, that's soft tissue, an opponent who most likely had some level of super strength (can't recall a normie ever stabbing Buffy), and stakes in that series generally treating everything they touch like papier mache. Like vampires have gotten regularly staked through the hardest parts of their chest by average teenagers with not much more than limp wristed flailing. Spike tried to commit suicide by falling onto a pencil. The series does not treat penetration appropriately
    Last edited by BitVyper; 07-02-2023 at 11:09 AM.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guys I am fully aware of what happens in BtVS when Buffy is stabbed or shot. I covered this in the OP. But if you *insist* on a comparison with something penetrating, despite the specific condition I laid out: Glory punched a reinforced concrete pillar hard enough to drive her fist about half a foot directly into it, only stopping because she reached the end of her reach. In that same scene, she landed multiple direct punches on Buffy's face.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Guys I am fully aware of what happens in BtVS when Buffy is stabbed or shot. I covered this in the OP. But if you *insist* on a comparison with something penetrating, despite the specific condition I laid out: Glory punched a reinforced concrete pillar hard enough to drive her fist about half a foot directly into it, only stopping because she reached the end of her reach. In that same scene, she landed multiple direct punches on Buffy's face.
    Don't know what to tell you except that Buffy has the Wonder Woman problem: Can eat blunt damage all day but can still be cut and pierced.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Fantastic Member MorphyVSFischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post

And Spiderman can take shots from class 20 opponents yet bullets hurt him. It's comics

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

In fairness, everyone check the OP. It states her durability will NOT be compartmentalized for this thread.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Looking at the first fight she had with Glory, wherein Glory punches holes in concrete pillars.

Glory does hit her a few times and generally ragdolls her around, but the pillar punches only happen after Buffy hits her and she seems to get more annoyed and starts seeming to hit harder. Critically, she doesn't actually hit Buffy again after that point in the fight, just throws her across the room.

So it's hard to say that Glory when she hit her first was trying as hard. Clip below for people to look at:

For myself, I feel Buffy is fine in this scenario, where we postulate her durability is equal against bullets as it is against blunt trauma.

The first backhand slap Glory gives her tosses her something like 15' through the air, she hits the wall still above the ground and cracks the wall (ie, she would have kept going). It...seemed to kind of rock her, but didn't at all put her down.

If a person absorbed all of the energy from a 9mm bullet impact, it would do nothing of the sort.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

Penetrability vs. blunt impact is an issue. For example, Kevlar vests will stop bullets because the fibers catch and spread out the impact such that pistol rounds won't penetrate. However, sharp instruments can slip between the fibers and vests need to be designed to be cut and stab proof. Vests for rounds come in different levels:

https://bulletproofzone.com/blogs/bu...t-vest-for-you

Now, to the issue - Buffy might have impact resistance for blunt blows depending on her flesh structure (if it is not mystical but physical) but not have penetration resistance. If she has a Kevlar head structure but bone isn't a fiber, might resist some handgun rounds. I am not up on her stabby resistance. If she is not stabby proof, kevlar structure and her skill is not like a ceramic, metal vest added plate, she is probably dead or severely injured with a good hit.

As far as the impact of handgun rounds, the standard today is that modern 38, 40, 357, 9 mm and 45 ACP rounds are pretty much the same with a good, significant area hit. Any of those can be designed with a round that will just go through bone. Those are hard cast lead for things like bear defense. Now, hollow points are designed to expand and not penetrate through you with a central mass hit but have enough penetration to reach vital organs.

You can move up the heavier handgun rounds, impractical for street carry, but used for hunting big animals. They would certainly smash through a skull that doesn't have some superhuman construction or mystical properties.

The lower powered rounds - it depends - a good 22 LR might penetration, the 25 ACPs might now - however, they have zapped into enough folks that there are no guarantees.

BTW, you probably don't want to aim at the forehead. That's thick bone and round do bounce off or zip around the skull under the flesh. You want to aim eyes to below the nose as to get back to the brain stem.

As far as other vital areas - they work by bleeding you out or severing the spine for a motion kill. Probably not a good idea with someone with superhuman resistance. Folks have taken 357s in the fight and stayed in the fight for a bit. She is fast enough to get you. If she then bleeds out, ain't doing you any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Penetrability vs. blunt impact is an issue. For example, Kevlar vests will stop bullets because the fibers catch and spread out the impact such that pistol rounds won't penetrate. However, sharp instruments can slip between the fibers and vests need to be designed to be cut and stab proof. Vests for rounds come in different levels:

https://bulletproofzone.com/blogs/bu...t-vest-for-you

Now, to the issue - Buffy might have impact resistance for blunt blows depending on her flesh structure (if it is not mystical but physical) but not have penetration resistance. If she has a Kevlar head structure but bone isn't a fiber, might resist some handgun rounds. I am not up on her stabby resistance. If she is not stabby proof, kevlar structure and her skill is not like a ceramic, metal vest added plate, she is probably dead or severely injured with a good hit.

As far as the impact of handgun rounds, the standard today is that modern 38, 40, 357, 9 mm and 45 ACP rounds are pretty much the same with a good, significant area hit. Any of those can be designed with a round that will just go through bone. Those are hard cast lead for things like bear defense. Now, hollow points are designed to expand and not penetrate through you with a central mass hit but have enough penetration to reach vital organs.

You can move up the heavier handgun rounds, impractical for street carry, but used for hunting big animals. They would certainly smash through a skull that doesn't have some superhuman construction or mystical properties.

The lower powered rounds - it depends - a good 22 LR might penetration, the 25 ACPs might now - however, they have zapped into enough folks that there are no guarantees.

BTW, you probably don't want to aim at the forehead. That's thick bone and round do bounce off or zip around the skull under the flesh. You want to aim eyes to below the nose as to get back to the brain stem.

As far as other vital areas - they work by bleeding you out or severing the spine for a motion kill. Probably not a good idea with someone with superhuman resistance. Folks have taken 357s in the fight and stayed in the fight for a bit. She is fast enough to get you. If she then bleeds out, ain't doing you any good.
    You need to read the OP. We’re not compartmentalizing durability in this thread.

Right now BitVyper is foaming at the mouth.
    Why are we here?

Astonishing Member

The OP is the OP but the issue can't be discussed without understanding how these things work. We don't have durability feats for the OP on bullet to flesh. So, given that - she just dies or suffers debiltating brain damage from a 22S up to a 45/70 Bond Cyclops. The off body shots - most folks survive handgun rounds if gotten to competent care and it wasn't a clear bleed out shot that dumps your blood supply. She should carry a tourniquet or bleed out kick. Nice fancy or ankle packs for such. Wonder if Giles taught her bleed out first out. Given all the edged weapons used, it would be useful. We had all that stuff around and ran simulations.

Blunt resistance - well, if you can't discuss it - you really just have her penetrated.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quite apart from the OP statement as outlined above.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Now, to the issue - Buffy might have impact resistance for blunt blows depending on her flesh structure (if it is not mystical but physical) but not have penetration resistance.
    The issue is that Buffy's powers are mystical in nature so the whole "human bones and flesh are so durable," doesn't really factor into a girl with magical hereditary Slayer powers.

Heck, while it's not what we're discussing here, Season 8 is apparently canon and Buffy fully gains like flight and Superman style abilities. Her powers are magical in nature.